Go-Ahead Ireland

Go-Ahead Ireland Employee Reviews

Ireland28 reviews

Enjoying my time with go ahead

Go ahead will expect you to put them before everyone and everything they want you to break court orders the management are backwards and don’t know how to listen to the driver who are the ones making them the money they need to over haul the management team

Pros

Good job

Cons

Badly managed

Never ending stress

Very stressful job little or no work life balance feels like at times your a hamster on a wheel non stop stress management only want to talk to you if they want to blame you on something that might have happened during your day on the road or on the bus

Good job

Enjoyed the training to get the bus licence with them, enjoyed driving but some shifts are long. Typically worked 40 hours, some weeks longer some shorter, usually days off are together. Plenty of overtime, Ops managers could be better - don't listen to staff, don't respond to emails, never on site so you can only get them through email!

Pros

Paid training, great colleagues

Cons

Management uncontactable

is a nice place to work

I am with Go Ahead for 1.5 years now and it's a great place to workThe main thing for me is that we don't have "seniority" so we are all at the same levelThe management team are great and easy to deal with them.Sometimes too many hours.

Don't care about staff,only interested in profit

Long shifts,single day off then straight back in on more long shifts again followed by single day off,no work life balance,minimum pay they can get away with,no chance off promotion unless your in with the management when they'll tell you you have the job before interview....stay well away.

Pros

Worked through pandemic.

Cons

Long hours, terrible holidays, very negative place.

Worst place I ever work in my life.

This place is very bad for work. Drivers late with CPC always have some excuses (it was covid or every company late or you can do it by yourself and....) , management never respond to mail, one day short shift next day long rosters is bad. Lots of pressure from control room to keeping time, when you need them they don't respond. And many other things... Stay away from this place.

Official response from Go-Ahead Ireland

27 July 2022
We're sorry that you felt like this. We are constantly striving to improve our colleagues experience whilst working for Go-Ahead Ireland. We have taken on board your comments and will review with the appropriate teams. Best wishes for the future.

Secure Job

A good secure job. The rosters are not very good especially if you have a family. Six days in a row on a 5 over 7 shift pattern is the norm as is ten hour days so it can be very tiring. You will need to be able to deal with passengers as customers. Heavy traffic also hinders your day. Good prospects for promotion within the company.

Good crack with work colleagues

Ok place to work, some days can be very long hours and alot of driving,going from working lates then one day off and then in on early shifts is hard.dont really get to see much of your family when working late shifts.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Long hours and weak management

Very easy to secure a driving position, however pay is very very low for Dublin living expenses and i could only survive through excessive overtime. Senior management very out of touch with realities of the job and keep demanding more and more.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

No support from management and very long hours

Nice new fleet of buses in depot

Not a bad place to work buses kept nice and clean pay is probably a bit low to start but goes up 4% a year.only a full Saturday and Sunday off every 6/7 weeks

Pros

Clean buses

Cons

Long hours on main rota

No work /life balance

Horrible place to work, every single minute is accounted for, hardly time to go to the toilet.Management only care about kilometres and zero thoughts to drivers wellbeing and the only time you'll have a manager interact with you is to dish our disciplinary, of which there are plenty. The place is run through bullying culture. Toxic environment with a massive turnover of drivers (probably a retention rate of 30% or lower)

Pros

It's a job, good camaraderie with drivers (not that they stay long enough to get to know).

Cons

Too many to mention.

A terrible place to work that just keeps getting worse

Long shiftsDriving 5 hours legal minimum break 42 mins back driving 4-5 hours. No workplace safety standards. All they care about is making money. Management don't do their jobs properly just pass the buck. Controllers lie to get you to drive unsafe vehicles. I could go on and on and on and on all day.... It's a great place to work if you never want to be home and want to be stressed when you are at home.

Pros

Cons

A list the length of your leg

A fairly decent place to work with decent co-workers.

Go Ahead is a good Job for Job security. Come in, do your days work, go home you will have no issues.Many shifts are far too long, 10hr days can be the norm. This can be tiresome. Many rosters have 6 days in a row over two week periods for 3 weeks in a row.There is fair opportunity for promotions.

Pros

Subsistence allowances, bonus payments, 15 days paid sick leave per year after 12 months service, Company pension plan.

Cons

Long hours.

Tough place to work

Would not recommend, routes I was on , you have to change buses on average 3-5 times a day, you worked on a roster basic, It was very rare that you where off for 2 days in a row, roster I was on was 8 weeks.About 3 of them weeks you had 2 consecutive days off, stay away

Pros

Cons

Treated like another number, not a nice place to work

Terrible palce for work life balance

Work life balance is non existant Mangment will side with public Premotions given to friends rather than ones experience. No payed breaks and not included in worktime so 12 hour shift is 13 hours

Pros

Payed weekly

Cons

No work life balance/ unrealistic shifts

Worst management in ny 40 year work life

Would not recommend to any one very poor management.Terrible work life balance.Terrible health and safety on depot and while driving .Management take responsibility for nothing.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Worst company i ever worked for

Just driving a bus

Go-Ahead Ireland is the kind of company that you need to be single if you wanna work in there because if you’re married forget the family life you won’t have one long shifts not driving though but still long days

Cover your ars*

Starting wage is €14.50 per hour, say goodbye to your love life or social life because the work life balance is brutal. Have a week of late shifts with one day off and then back on to early shifts. Over time isn’t even at time and a half, it’s time and a quarter. Nobody in management gets held accountable for their wrongdoing, regards to pay being incorrect. They won’t recognise a certain Union for Drivers either. After Drivers signed up to that Union.

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Pay, Hours, Shifts, No communication.

Ok

Drivers are great to work with. I enjoy driving a bus until I get hounded by controllers to pull over and lose time, puts pressure on the driver. Work life balance is good if you love working all the time. Drivers don't get bonuses but other jobs with in the company do. Good few drivers get there experience at go ahead then move to Dublin bus. Management work against drivers not with them

Pros

Drivers, location

Cons

Work life balance, rota, bonuses.

Great colleagues and friendly environment

Go-Ahead is a very friendly environment with a lot of room to improve your skills and career progression. Management are friendly and there is a great team effort between all departments. Overall I would recommend working for this company.

Avoid at all costs

Work life balance dont mix here it's a ridiculous company to be working for..from management right the way down AVOID AT ALL COSTS IF U LIKE TO SEE YOU'RE KIDS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go-Ahead Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Go-Ahead Ireland with

• Go-Ahead Ireland
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?