Goodwill Industries

Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 20,102 reviews matching the search
I loved working for GW but regionals are not to great they do not do thorough investigations on certain things. I learned great communication skills and patience working there. I love how they are different cultures there.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
stressful at times
you did not feel like you were backed up by management. you did not feel like your work meant anything. did not receive any raises and i was the most hard working employee.
Pros
learning to do things on my own
Cons
did not get backup from management
Great place to learn work with good people. Fair to all employees, hard work good hours. I had to clean, stock, sort, display, cart. Forklift, and customer interaction. Cashier experience and bagging and wrapping.
All I did mainly was sit around because no one showed up to make donations I felt like I was taking money from the company because I was just sitting there there's no challenge
Needs new management! They are very rude and unprofessional also unfair. I got blamed for someone else’s job bad job performance. Even when we made the production quota that still wasn’t enough.
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
Needs new management
The hardest part of the job is the quotas when there is so many donations and stock to be sorted and put out on the floor. And they want you to meet a quota that is impossible to meet when there is so many donations and not enough workers to meet that quota.
Pros
great programs for employees
Cons
over whelming of donations and the quotas
Money was ok but policies were absurd , management had favorites workloads were a bit much respect was not given to everyone quick easy money dont stay long
Pros
Money
Cons
Very bad environment
They state that they have a Mission of helping the less fortunate and untrained homeless and/or those that have taken the wrong turns in life. As a mid-Manager, I would expect the support of upper Management in achieving this with such a diverse group of people.
But that does not happen. They cater to these individuals who expect to be coddled, catered too, and excused from having to do the work that the others due. These individuals run the "POD", complaining that their Manager is being mean or asking them to do this or that. What happens, it that it creates a "Hostile" environment because you as a Manager, have 90% of your Team working their backsides off for very little pay in a hot, uncooled warehouse, while that remaining 10% can coast through because POD is saying "you poor Baby, we'll take care of it".

Upper Management and the POD department create that environment, but when the pressure gets put on the, they find a Fall Guy and Exit them.

It's a culture they encourage, thats why mid management does not last long there. In the 3.5 years I was there, I've watched so many changes in mid-management it'd make your head spin. There are some great Team Members there and it's a shame on how they are treated. Just short of a sweat shop. No compensation for the work they do under the conditions that they work in daily.
Pros
Really cannot find any
Cons
Enough said above
Overall, great management at this specific store. Not much room for growth but the tasks were easy just a little understaffed at times. I would recommend it for experience for first time workers.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Shady customers
I loved working at goodwill, the store itself was such a great experience. Helping others and seeing them happy was also a bonus. However the managers were racist and I think that for that very reason it made the job a bad experience. I would work for Goodwill again, just at a different location.
Pros
Simple dress code, Discount, awesome customers
Cons
Managers
If your looking for a job that offers flexibility, then doing part time work here is perfect. It's been years since I last worked there, so the only information I can provide is on the workplace conditions and benifits/pay.
Pros
Pick and choose breaks, flexible hours
Cons
bugs
The company is a great environment with great people to be around. Goodwill is a great place to change a life and yourself. You can really see the great things that people donate and would never think about how a donation could look good as new
Yo me siento bien trabajando ahí ,buen trabajo en equipo ,lo q el salario es muy bajo acá en miami ,hay otros lugares q pagan mas y a diferencia de esos lugares acá la vida ,sobretodo las rentas son muy caras .
Cons
El salario
They only care about the end result. They don't care how they use people as long as the results are what they need. In the end they are not people oriented.
Cons
Never felt as though I belonged. Felt as though I didn't fit in.
Managment is super helpful and friendly.

Was always told your part of the management team but never felt like it.
Pros
Some of the people make you feel welcome
Cons
Negativity
This job is a gold mine. It can basically run itself. I believe you have to be at the right place in the right time if you are seeking advancement. I am grateful that I was hired, but not so as far as the way we are treated. You really need a strong, patient mind set; in order to, successfully stay employed with this company.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Favoritism.stereotyping.no overtime opportunities.
During my employment at Goodwill it provided me with the flexibility I needed for family work life balance. The pay could have been better, there were limited work hours available. Most of the workers have some kind of disability.
Pros
Disability accommodation and flexible hours
Cons
Outdoor work during inclement weather
We were clothings processors so in the back with really trash conditions, like dust, sometimes rat feces, lizards, bugs. Going through other people’s clothes was a job I was not looking forward too. We often were pushed to make 600+ racks of clothes in one work day, which required lots of clothes to work with. Constantly being reminded about marking up as many prices or quality as we could. But it was genuinely an eye opener on the quality of the clothes we sold, and how all of the minorities were in the back while a man who was generally passive aggressive and rude was the safety manager though he was the one playing with most of the items in the back 99% of the time.
Pros
Good pay, i worked part time Saturday and Sunday
Cons
Gross work environment in the back, 1 employee bathroom. I didn’t get official training it was very unprofessional.
I was a part-time employee at the Somers, NY Goodwill for over 9 years. The Salary was minimum wage and annual increases were very small, however this was my second job and it met my needs. In my first few years, I worked on the sales floor hanging clothes and constantly keeping the store neat which was a monumental feat as some customers were not respectful of the store. And yet many of the customers were very nice and friendly. Some came to Goodwill because they were lonely and some came because they were different and wanted anonymity and the freedom to shop without judgment and the employees at our store respected that. We all got to know our customers fairly well. I also worked in the back sorting clothes. It was hard work but I enjoyed being around my co-workers. Indeed, I looked forward to working there. A job is what you make of it. I was able to work hard and have some good laughs at the same time. I appreciated my store Managers as they were able to set my schedule around my other job which was very important to me. I only left because I moved 2 hours away. I miss working there.
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Salary and increases not commensurate with ones abilities.
It’s a great first time job for anyone who never worked before. They give you so many opportunities to grow . You can move up from a food service worker to a cook.
Pros
Pays good
I have achieved a high level of accomplishment within my position, quickly becoming the most valued employee at my location. I do not mean to brag about these things but I want to make it clear that there is an enormous gap between treatment of workers deemed inherently valuable and those who are SUPPOSEDLY hired as a means of rehabilitation or special opportunity. As a young, able bodied male, I have a much easier time carrying large weights and doing physical work than, say, an elderly woman with a mental handicap. Therefore I am treated well, with much respect. Goodwill does not care about this natural difference in the slightest. If you or a loved one has a disability and is considering using Goodwill as an employment resource, i implore you to reconsider; unless you enjoy being told you and your efforts are worthless in comparison. In the time I have spent working at Goodwill I have watched disadvantaged workers be fired without compassion, verbally berated until crying in meetings, and threatened with a loss of livelihood that they clearly could not overcome if forced upon them. It is sad, it is despicable, and it is pathetic. Goodwill is not a charitable company. Of you are not directly responsible for an increase in CASH FLOW, you are USELESS TO GOODWILL and they will make it know. Publicly. If the general public had any idea how these individuals are treated on a daily basis it would make them sick and probably inclined to no longer shop there.
Pros
Very nice treatment of top performers, lots of freedom for money makers
Cons
horrific ethical issues, treatment of the mentally ill and those with special circumstances they supposedly exist to serve
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.
6.3K