Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

Where do we start
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork13 November 2019
Who on earth wants to work for such a s... hole of a company in good old Cork Dreadful company. Hated it so much I put the staff on social medial to teach them a damned lesson horrible people 5 star bast,,,,
Secretary
Health Service Executive CUH /CUMH (Former Employee) –  Cork14 October 2019
Secretary
Ophthalmology Dept, including Diabetic Retina Screening
Registered arriving patients, confirmed personal details, arranged follow up appointments.Rescheduled clinics to facilitate urgent appointments, also responsible for routine appointment on PIMS
Liaised daily with medical consultants, updated patient medical records, typed letters and posted to GP.Updated and maintained patient information on OptoMize and in-house Excel system.
Pros
Positive work Collaeguse
Cons
Low Pay for the responsibility in the role
fun
Data Entry, Answering phone calls (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry16 April 2019
Lovely staff and a nice cool environment to work in. Can be quiet busy at times. They give you excellent training. I learned how to key in peoples PPSN numbers and applied them for a free eye testing if they had a medical card.
Pros
hour break
Cons
Can be long
Challenging but positive work place
Homeless Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Dublin3 September 2018
I enjoyed my time working in the Health Service Executive. A typical day in work would have been constant contact with service users and staff from the appropriate places e.g hostel staff, hospital's, drug treatment centres, prison services etc. I have learned a lot in the last year, how to communicate with service users. Learning how to deal with intense situations and being able to be professional at all times.
Pros
Great learning skills
nice place to work
Data Entry, Answering phone calls (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry12 July 2018
Nice place to work and your showing everything you need to know. I learned how to use the systems on the computer and how to put a customers details through the system. The staff there are very nice and helpful
Pros
hour lunch break
Would recommended
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin12 May 2018
Good working environment. Overall, friendly and welcoming place to work. Cons - culture within the hospital needs changing. It remains old fashioned and rigid at times. No perks to the job and pay does not reflect the job being done. The cons are largely due to working in the HSE in general. The job security is great but there’s literally a price to be paid for it in relation to salary and work perks etc. Would still recommend it if you wish to chose to work in the HSE. Perks - free, ample parking; based in a beautiful location; friendly staff; great services on site; good canteen; governed by HIQA.
Pros
Ample, free parking and beautiful location
Cons
Poor pay, rigid culture
Terrible place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork15 February 2018
I worked in a grade 3 clerical role at a cork hospital for a year and it was the worst year of my life. Due to huge waiting lists there were a lot of very unhappy patients. There was a bullying culture and cronyism. Senior staff seemed to do very little while new staff were allocated the worst jobs that no one else wanted. I witnessed, back-stabbing and gossiping on a level with 'Mean Girls'. The managements way of dealing with it was to send you to occupational health where you could break down and cry. There was regular cases of stress related sick leave. I had to leave because I feared for my sanity!
Pros
Work/Life balance.
Cons
Back-stabbing, stress.
Useless absolutely useless
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork22 October 2017
Everyone at laya healthcare hates you lot in the hse. You are rude ignorant and totally useless in everything you do. You must be closed down immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Eventually will close
Cons
eeeeerrrrr nothing!!!!!!!!!
Positive and negative attributes to current organistaion working arrangments
Environmental Health Officer (Current Employee) –  Kilkenny4 September 2017
Work at national level is very hectic with a lot of committment and hard work from a newly developed specialist unit in the last 18 months. Work at local level can be poor, unorganised with a lack of committment from management (at this level) which means that progress is very slow and at times not at all achieved. The overall lack of a strong working ethic amongst colleagues, I feel, fails this service as a whole.
Pros
Can facilitate flexible working hours
Cork HSE very bad place
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cork15 August 2017
I worked here for two years and noticed a lot of things wrong and when you informed management just laughed at you. I saw racism, sexism, aggression all by employees.
Cork full of interbreeding as well as dublin staff.
Pros
Cons
pay
cork offices not a good place
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Cork1 June 2017
I worked for this organisation and found them the most incompetent company. Basically it's the managers. Not good at delegating or taking responsibility. I worked hard as a grade 3 but was treated like dirt.
Was not happy.
Useless and wasted my five years there .
Pros
what?
Cons
long list
Don't believe the hype about these jobs
Clerical Officer (Current Employee) –  County Cork1 April 2017
Exceptionally incompetent management, very uneven distribution of work and communication is pretty much unheard of. If you don't catch information via gossip at tea break, you're out of the loop.
Mid management doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone.
No career advancement whatsoever for the lower grades, but over the past 2 or 3 years mid and upper grades have been promoted, sometimes more than once.
I like serving the public and take it quite seriously, but management is so toxic I don't know if I'll last.

Bullying is rampant by management, and it's only getting worse. I do not recommend anyone work here.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Incompetent management, toxic environment, no benefits whatsover
Helping service users is the best part of my job.
General Assistant Addiction service (Current Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin7 March 2017
Team work is lacking management team have no real understanding of the addiction service.
All I want to do is to work with a good responsible team and to help people / service users.
Pros
Having a good canteen
Cons
Good rates of pay
Fun and enjoyable day even though sometimes its always challenging.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 February 2017
My day usually starts with a handover from night shift (if coming in to work as a morning shift). If I'm the in charge of the day , i will allocate my staff to do the work i.e. bedsidecare and supervision. My responsibilities for the day is to do drug rounds, answer phone for inquiries as well as carry out doctors order. Attend MDT meeting and assist staff with Care plans review , Order medications from pharmacy.
Management is always there to monitor and support us despite the fact that they are busy too.
Always looking forward to work every shift knowing that your in a good team its guaranteed that it will be fruitful day for all of us. Sometimes the day will not turn out to be good, there are other staff that will not do their work on time but for me i always lend a helping hand to them.
Hardest part is dealing with End of life Care patients and challenging and abusive behaviour
The most enjoyable part is at the end of my 12 hour shift or sometimes more i am happy that i survived the trials for the day and grateful that i made difference to my patients and to their next of kin. My Patient saying thank you to you and see you tomorrow is a music to my ears no matter what we've been through on that shift.
Pros
Free breakfast, free dinner and christmas party all paid for
Cons
long hours, understaff and working under pressure
A chellenging rewarding career
Advanced Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Donegal8 January 2017
A challenging and rewarding career caring for people saving lives continual learning and updating of skills.
Difficult on family life due to unsocial hours and Long shifts and no finish time.
Mangers support system lacking
Pros
Job satisfavtion
Cons
Unsocial long hours
St finbarrs hospital cork disgrace
staff officer (Current Employee) –  Cork16 November 2016
What an awful place. Dirty workplace bad managers horrible horrible.
If anyone offers you a job here just keep running. Managers are stealing money. Working conditions are dreadful. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
home time
Cons
managers
HSE South st marys orthopaedic hospital cork
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cork8 November 2016
Oh dear where to begin. Horrible management mainly. Not very nice to deal with. No career progression . One senior manager had their house cleaned by a company and the hse paid before they left for Europe. Who owns the carpet.
Pros
Getting free fuel
Cons
Worst place to work in irlenad. Horrible staff especially management at aras slainte and hospitals.
FOAD (Former Employee) –  Aras slainte cork11 November 2015
This is possibly the most badly run organisation in Ireland especially cork. The management. Are useless and up each others rear end. Badly managed, horrible people , it should be reformed and HSE staff sacked. All totally useless. They should be ashamed of themselves nothing more than a bunch of pen pushers , making mistakes all day long. Horrible people.
Love working with the Elderly a rewarding Job
Health Service Executive (Current Employee) –  Wexford, WX9 September 2015
I really enjoy meeting my clients everyday as for some of them I might be there only point of contact for the day. I learned that its important to listen to people and treat them with dignity. Management is good, and my co-workers are very helpful and great team members. Hardest part of the job is losing the people you work with everyday. I enjoy doing my job as I know I make people happy and they really look forward to seeing you again.
care for stroke patient
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  dublin24 January 2015
this client came in with stroke with one side become paralyse, with the help of my self and other team are able to give recovery back to the client.The client came in with no hope and the teams assured him of hope.
Pros
The good was the client was very cooperative and ready
Cons
the order side was to persuade the client for physiotherapy exercise and taking medication