Health Service Executive

Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

There is a hierarchy in every area and if you're not part of the clique then you have no chance of any real advancement. Information is never passed on to the administration staff. Management offer nothing but lip service both to staff and the public. It's a seriously competitive atmosphere and definitely 'jobs for the boys'. Not a nice place to work.
Stressful day from start to finish..Managers no help at the do hardly anything and the Clerical staff do it all.You just get thrown into the job and go there you run it.People from the outside with no experience come in and take your job..Ran a clinic for 14 months as I was on a contract boom they took on someone with no experience couldnt even use a computer. Stressful job with bad pay your only a number.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
No help. Bad management
Good team to work with. Flexi hoursEasy to manage with family lifeVery difficult to progress up the grades or get transferOnly recruit from panels, so someone could be doing the job for years and years as they are temporary officers and then loose their job to someone coming in off a panel with no experience at all. It’s ridiculous
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Very hard to progress
Working as a clerical officer at St Finbarrs Hospital Cork. Not good. Not good at all. Cliques everywhere you go. No prospects. Best if you just avoid..
Pros
Cons
See above
Horrible places to work with horrible staff. Management dont gave a clue. Too many bad things going on with senior staff. Should be closed down immediately.
I really enjoy my job, helping people in their time of need. It’s a very satisfying job and also very rewarding. I would stress that if you have confidence in your ability it’s a easy job. I am learning something new all the time, how to do things better, how to make things easier for myself. You can’t let frustration get to you, relax take a breath.My co-ordiator is second to none. The hardest part is watching a clients condition deteriorate.
Very satisfying work but very heavy workload. Excellent salary. Flexibility in working hours. Good pension. Lack of training and updating of skills. Good comraderie.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Long hours to keep up with workload
Who on earth wants to work for such a s... hole of a company in good old Cork Dreadful company. Hated it so much I put the staff on social medial to teach them a damned lesson horrible people 5 star bast,,,,
A busy unit, long hours, understaffed. Caring for high risk and low risk pregnant women. Centre of excellence. Women transferred into our care from other hospitals/counties. Front line managers supportive and hard working. Senior management detached from the realities of front line pressures. Most rewarding of jobs. Witnessing news families being made every day.
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Health Service Executive?
Secretary Ophthalmology Dept, including Diabetic Retina Screening Registered arriving patients, confirmed personal details, arranged follow up appointments.Rescheduled clinics to facilitate urgent appointments, also responsible for routine appointment on PIMS Liaised daily with medical consultants, updated patient medical records, typed letters and posted to GP.Updated and maintained patient information on OptoMize and in-house Excel system.
Pros
Positive work Collaeguse
Cons
Low Pay for the responsibility in the role
Lovely staff and a nice cool environment to work in. Can be quiet busy at times. They give you excellent training. I learned how to key in peoples PPSN numbers and applied them for a free eye testing if they had a medical card.
Pros
hour break
Cons
Can be long
I enjoyed my time working in the Health Service Executive. A typical day in work would have been constant contact with service users and staff from the appropriate places e.g hostel staff, hospital's, drug treatment centres, prison services etc. I have learned a lot in the last year, how to communicate with service users. Learning how to deal with intense situations and being able to be professional at all times.
Pros
Great learning skills
Cons
Nice place to work and your showing everything you need to know. I learned how to use the systems on the computer and how to put a customers details through the system. The staff there are very nice and helpful
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
Good working environment. Overall, friendly and welcoming place to work. Cons - culture within the hospital needs changing. It remains old fashioned and rigid at times. No perks to the job and pay does not reflect the job being done. The cons are largely due to working in the HSE in general. The job security is great but there’s literally a price to be paid for it in relation to salary and work perks etc. Would still recommend it if you wish to chose to work in the HSE. Perks - free, ample parking; based in a beautiful location; friendly staff; great services on site; good canteen; governed by HIQA.
Pros
Ample, free parking and beautiful location
Cons
Poor pay, rigid culture
I worked in a grade 3 clerical role at a cork hospital for a year and it was the worst year of my life. Due to huge waiting lists there were a lot of very unhappy patients. There was a bullying culture and cronyism. Senior staff seemed to do very little while new staff were allocated the worst jobs that no one else wanted. I witnessed, back-stabbing and gossiping on a level with 'Mean Girls'. The managements way of dealing with it was to send you to occupational health where you could break down and cry. There was regular cases of stress related sick leave. I had to leave because I feared for my sanity!
Pros
Work/Life balance.
Cons
Back-stabbing, stress.
Everyone at laya healthcare hates you lot in the hse. You are rude ignorant and totally useless in everything you do. You must be closed down immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Eventually will close
Cons
eeeeerrrrr nothing!!!!!!!!!
Work at national level is very hectic with a lot of committment and hard work from a newly developed specialist unit in the last 18 months. Work at local level can be poor, unorganised with a lack of committment from management (at this level) which means that progress is very slow and at times not at all achieved. The overall lack of a strong working ethic amongst colleagues, I feel, fails this service as a whole.
Pros
Can facilitate flexible working hours
I worked here for two years and noticed a lot of things wrong and when you informed management just laughed at you. I saw racism, sexism, aggression all by employees. Cork full of interbreeding as well as dublin staff.
Pros
Cons
pay
I worked for this organisation and found them the most incompetent company. Basically it's the managers. Not good at delegating or taking responsibility. I worked hard as a grade 3 but was treated like dirt. Was not happy. Useless and wasted my five years there .
Pros
what?
Cons
long list
Exceptionally incompetent management, very uneven distribution of work and communication is pretty much unheard of. If you don't catch information via gossip at tea break, you're out of the loop. Mid management doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone. No career advancement whatsoever for the lower grades, but over the past 2 or 3 years mid and upper grades have been promoted, sometimes more than once. I like serving the public and take it quite seriously, but management is so toxic I don't know if I'll last. Bullying is rampant by management, and it's only getting worse. I do not recommend anyone work here.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Incompetent management, toxic environment, no benefits whatsover
Team work is lacking management team have no real understanding of the addiction service. All I want to do is to work with a good responsible team and to help people / service users.
Pros
Having a good canteen
Cons
Good rates of pay