Health Service Executive

Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

Ireland42 reviews

Good staff

Hard work and long hours. Management no interest in staff or patients. Just getting any issues onto somebody else to resolve. Can be stressfull at times.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Long hours shift work

Good place to work with good pay. Stability and comfort of good secured job. Staff where I worked where all lovely and friendly. I work 3 long days a week

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hrs

Medical Manpower - Busy but enjoyable

I worked in the Medical Manpower section in a hospital in the South-South East area, enjoyable work, some times are busy but managers are very fair to deal with. Would definitely work there again

Overworked, underpaid.

Just don't get into nursing. There are better paid jobs out there with far greater work culture. It's very stressful to be a midwife in Irish maternity hospitals.

No trust & no communication

Working on the corporate side of the HSE has made me miss working in retail. Major decisions are communicated to those effected at the last possible minute, confidentiality rules are broken frequently, staff aren't trusted to do their jobs whatsoever & the safety and wellbeing of employees is last on the list of priorities. The pay doesn't remotely correspond to the workload. Deciding to leave this job after less than a year was not a difficult choice to make.

Pros

Job security & flexi system

Cons

Everything else

Do Not Work Here!!

Been in the HSE over 4 years. No support or respect for admin staff. Very toxic working environment, shocking for your mental health. You can do a job far above your pay grade with no acknowledgement to then have someone off a panel take over, getting paid more than you with no experience. It is very hard to progress.Only benefit is for job security, you will loose your soul working for them!

Pros

Job security

Cons

See above!!

Fun and relaxed place to work

Awesome job as compare to private sector. Good opportunity for right candidates. Management is very friendly. I can easily balance my day as i needed.plus free lunch save me lot money.

Pros

Free snack, breakfast and lunch

Cons

Nothing.

Not a good place to work

Very stressful trying to Mickey boots things in the workplace got my job back and mixed reactions but found out who true friends are. I would not recommend hse at all

Pros

Leaving but getting job back

Not recommended

Stressful day from start to finish..Managers no help at the do hardly anything and the Clerical staff do it all.You just get thrown into the job and go there you run it.People from the outside with no experience come in and take your job..Ran a clinic for 14 months as I was on a contract boom they took on someone with no experience couldnt even use a computer. Stressful job with bad pay your only a number.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

No help. Bad management

Good team

Good team to work with. Flexi hoursEasy to manage with family lifeVery difficult to progress up the grades or get transferOnly recruit from panels, so someone could be doing the job for years and years as they are temporary officers and then loose their job to someone coming in off a panel with no experience at all. It’s ridiculous

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Very hard to progress

horrible and scummy

Working as a clerical officer at St Finbarrs Hospital Cork. Not good. Not good at all. Cliques everywhere you go. No prospects. Best if you just avoid..

Pros

Cons

See above

Not good at st marys orthopaedic or st finbarrs

Horrible places to work with horrible staff. Management dont gave a clue. Too many bad things going on with senior staff. Should be closed down immediately.

Helping people in their own homes and seeing their joy.

I really enjoy my job, helping people in their time of need. It’s a very satisfying job and also very rewarding. I would stress that if you have confidence in your ability it’s a easy job. I am learning something new all the time, how to do things better, how to make things easier for myself. You can’t let frustration get to you, relax take a breath.My co-ordiator is second to none. The hardest part is watching a clients condition deteriorate.

Busy workplace

Very satisfying work but very heavy workload. Excellent salary. Flexibility in working hours. Good pension. Lack of training and updating of skills. Good comraderie.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Long hours to keep up with workload

Awful place to work

There is a hierarchy in every area and if you're not part of the clique then you have no chance of any real advancement. Information is never passed on to the administration staff. Management offer nothing but lip service both to staff and the public. It's a seriously competitive atmosphere and definitely 'jobs for the boys'. Not a nice place to work.

Short staffed and unsupportive environment

A busy unit, long hours, understaffed. Caring for high risk and low risk pregnant women. Centre of excellence. Women transferred into our care from other hospitals/counties. Front line managers supportive and hard working. Senior management detached from the realities of front line pressures. Most rewarding of jobs. Witnessing news families being made every day.

Cons

Long unsociable hours

Secretary

Secretary Ophthalmology Dept, including Diabetic Retina Screening Registered arriving patients, confirmed personal details, arranged follow up appointments.Rescheduled clinics to facilitate urgent appointments, also responsible for routine appointment on PIMS Liaised daily with medical consultants, updated patient medical records, typed letters and posted to GP.Updated and maintained patient information on OptoMize and in-house Excel system.

Pros

Positive work Collaeguse

Cons

Low Pay for the responsibility in the role

fun

Lovely staff and a nice cool environment to work in. Can be quiet busy at times. They give you excellent training. I learned how to key in peoples PPSN numbers and applied them for a free eye testing if they had a medical card.

Pros

hour break

Cons

Can be long

Challenging but positive work place

I enjoyed my time working in the Health Service Executive. A typical day in work would have been constant contact with service users and staff from the appropriate places e.g hostel staff, hospital's, drug treatment centres, prison services etc. I have learned a lot in the last year, how to communicate with service users. Learning how to deal with intense situations and being able to be professional at all times.

Pros

Great learning skills

nice place to work

Nice place to work and your showing everything you need to know. I learned how to use the systems on the computer and how to put a customers details through the system. The staff there are very nice and helpful

Pros

hour lunch break

Would recommended

Good working environment. Overall, friendly and welcoming place to work. Cons - culture within the hospital needs changing. It remains old fashioned and rigid at times. No perks to the job and pay does not reflect the job being done. The cons are largely due to working in the HSE in general. The job security is great but there’s literally a price to be paid for it in relation to salary and work perks etc. Would still recommend it if you wish to chose to work in the HSE. Perks - free, ample parking; based in a beautiful location; friendly staff; great services on site; good canteen; governed by HIQA.

Pros

Ample, free parking and beautiful location

Cons

Poor pay, rigid culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Health Service Executive. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Health Service Executive
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?