Health Service Executive

Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

Ireland34 reviews
Awful place to work
There is a hierarchy in every area and if you're not part of the clique then you have no chance of any real advancement. Information is never passed on to the administration staff. Management offer nothing but lip service both to staff and the public. It's a seriously competitive atmosphere and definitely 'jobs for the boys'. Not a nice place to work.
Not good at st marys orthopaedic or st finbarrs
Horrible places to work with horrible staff. Management dont gave a clue. Too many bad things going on with senior staff. Should be closed down immediately.
Helping people in their own homes and seeing their joy.
I really enjoy my job, helping people in their time of need. It’s a very satisfying job and also very rewarding. I would stress that if you have confidence in your ability it’s a easy job. I am learning something new all the time, how to do things better, how to make things easier for myself. You can’t let frustration get to you, relax take a breath.My co-ordiator is second to none. The hardest part is watching a clients condition deteriorate.
Busy workplace
Very satisfying work but very heavy workload. Excellent salary. Flexibility in working hours. Good pension. Lack of training and updating of skills. Good comraderie.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Long hours to keep up with workload
Where do we start
Who on earth wants to work for such a s... hole of a company in good old Cork Dreadful company. Hated it so much I put the staff on social medial to teach them a damned lesson horrible people 5 star bast,,,,
Short staffed and unsupportive environment
A busy unit, long hours, understaffed. Caring for high risk and low risk pregnant women. Centre of excellence. Women transferred into our care from other hospitals/counties. Front line managers supportive and hard working. Senior management detached from the realities of front line pressures.
Most rewarding of jobs. Witnessing news families being made every day.
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Secretary
Secretary
Ophthalmology Dept, including Diabetic Retina Screening

Registered arriving patients, confirmed personal details, arranged follow up appointments.Rescheduled clinics to facilitate urgent appointments, also responsible for routine appointment on PIMS

Liaised daily with medical consultants, updated patient medical records, typed letters and posted to GP.Updated and maintained patient information on OptoMize and in-house Excel system.
Pros
Positive work Collaeguse
Cons
Low Pay for the responsibility in the role
fun
Lovely staff and a nice cool environment to work in. Can be quiet busy at times. They give you excellent training. I learned how to key in peoples PPSN numbers and applied them for a free eye testing if they had a medical card.
Pros
hour break
Cons
Can be long
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Health Service Executive?
Challenging but positive work place
I enjoyed my time working in the Health Service Executive. A typical day in work would have been constant contact with service users and staff from the appropriate places e.g hostel staff, hospital's, drug treatment centres, prison services etc. I have learned a lot in the last year, how to communicate with service users. Learning how to deal with intense situations and being able to be professional at all times.
Pros
Great learning skills
nice place to work
Nice place to work and your showing everything you need to know. I learned how to use the systems on the computer and how to put a customers details through the system. The staff there are very nice and helpful
Pros
hour lunch break
Would recommended
Good working environment. Overall, friendly and welcoming place to work. Cons - culture within the hospital needs changing. It remains old fashioned and rigid at times. No perks to the job and pay does not reflect the job being done. The cons are largely due to working in the HSE in general. The job security is great but there’s literally a price to be paid for it in relation to salary and work perks etc. Would still recommend it if you wish to chose to work in the HSE. Perks - free, ample parking; based in a beautiful location; friendly staff; great services on site; good canteen; governed by HIQA.
Pros
Ample, free parking and beautiful location
Cons
Poor pay, rigid culture
Terrible place to work.
I worked in a grade 3 clerical role at a cork hospital for a year and it was the worst year of my life. Due to huge waiting lists there were a lot of very unhappy patients. There was a bullying culture and cronyism. Senior staff seemed to do very little while new staff were allocated the worst jobs that no one else wanted. I witnessed, back-stabbing and gossiping on a level with 'Mean Girls'. The managements way of dealing with it was to send you to occupational health where you could break down and cry. There was regular cases of stress related sick leave. I had to leave because I feared for my sanity!
Pros
Work/Life balance.
Cons
Back-stabbing, stress.
Useless absolutely useless
Everyone at laya healthcare hates you lot in the hse. You are rude ignorant and totally useless in everything you do. You must be closed down immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Eventually will close
Cons
eeeeerrrrr nothing!!!!!!!!!
Positive and negative attributes to current organistaion working arrangments
Work at national level is very hectic with a lot of committment and hard work from a newly developed specialist unit in the last 18 months. Work at local level can be poor, unorganised with a lack of committment from management (at this level) which means that progress is very slow and at times not at all achieved. The overall lack of a strong working ethic amongst colleagues, I feel, fails this service as a whole.
Pros
Can facilitate flexible working hours
Cork HSE very bad place
I worked here for two years and noticed a lot of things wrong and when you informed management just laughed at you. I saw racism, sexism, aggression all by employees.
Cork full of interbreeding as well as dublin staff.
Pros
Cons
pay
cork offices not a good place
I worked for this organisation and found them the most incompetent company. Basically it's the managers. Not good at delegating or taking responsibility. I worked hard as a grade 3 but was treated like dirt.
Was not happy.

Useless and wasted my five years there .
Pros
what?
Cons
long list
Don't believe the hype about these jobs
Exceptionally incompetent management, very uneven distribution of work and communication is pretty much unheard of. If you don't catch information via gossip at tea break, you're out of the loop.
Mid management doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone.

No career advancement whatsoever for the lower grades, but over the past 2 or 3 years mid and upper grades have been promoted, sometimes more than once.

I like serving the public and take it quite seriously, but management is so toxic I don't know if I'll last.

Bullying is rampant by management, and it's only getting worse. I do not recommend anyone work here.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Incompetent management, toxic environment, no benefits whatsover
Helping service users is the best part of my job.
Team work is lacking management team have no real understanding of the addiction service.
All I want to do is to work with a good responsible team and to help people / service users.
Pros
Having a good canteen
Cons
Good rates of pay
Fun and enjoyable day even though sometimes its always challenging.
My day usually starts with a handover from night shift (if coming in to work as a morning shift). If I'm the in charge of the day , i will allocate my staff to do the work i.e. bedsidecare and supervision. My responsibilities for the day is to do drug rounds, answer phone for inquiries as well as carry out doctors order. Attend MDT meeting and assist staff with Care plans review , Order medications from pharmacy.
Management is always there to monitor and support us despite the fact that they are busy too.

Always looking forward to work every shift knowing that your in a good team its guaranteed that it will be fruitful day for all of us. Sometimes the day will not turn out to be good, there are other staff that will not do their work on time but for me i always lend a helping hand to them.

Hardest part is dealing with End of life Care patients and challenging and abusive behaviour

The most enjoyable part is at the end of my 12 hour shift or sometimes more i am happy that i survived the trials for the day and grateful that i made difference to my patients and to their next of kin. My Patient saying thank you to you and see you tomorrow is a music to my ears no matter what we've been through on that shift.
Pros
Free breakfast, free dinner and christmas party all paid for
Cons
long hours, understaff and working under pressure
A chellenging rewarding career
A challenging and rewarding career caring for people saving lives continual learning and updating of skills.
Difficult on family life due to unsocial hours and Long shifts and no finish time.

Mangers support system lacking
Pros
Job satisfavtion
Cons
Unsocial long hours
St finbarrs hospital cork disgrace
What an awful place. Dirty workplace bad managers horrible horrible.
If anyone offers you a job here just keep running. Managers are stealing money. Working conditions are dreadful. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
home time
Cons
managers