Health Service Executive Employee Reviews in Dublin

2.7Pay & Benefits
2.7Job Security & Advancement
Fun and enjoyable day even though sometimes its always challenging.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 February 2017
My day usually starts with a handover from night shift (if coming in to work as a morning shift). If I'm the in charge of the day , i will allocate my staff to do the work i.e. bedsidecare and supervision. My responsibilities for the day is to do drug rounds, answer phone for inquiries as well as carry out doctors order. Attend MDT meeting and assist staff with Care plans review , Order medications from pharmacy.
Management is always there to monitor and support us despite the fact that they are busy too.
Always looking forward to work every shift knowing that your in a good team its guaranteed that it will be fruitful day for all of us. Sometimes the day will not turn out to be good, there are other staff that will not do their work on time but for me i always lend a helping hand to them.
Hardest part is dealing with End of life Care patients and challenging and abusive behaviour
The most enjoyable part is at the end of my 12 hour shift or sometimes more i am happy that i survived the trials for the day and grateful that i made difference to my patients and to their next of kin. My Patient saying thank you to you and see you tomorrow is a music to my ears no matter what we've been through on that shift.
Pros
Free breakfast, free dinner and christmas party all paid for
Cons
long hours, understaff and working under pressure
care for stroke patient
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  dublin24 January 2015
this client came in with stroke with one side become paralyse, with the help of my self and other team are able to give recovery back to the client.The client came in with no hope and the teams assured him of hope.
Pros
The good was the client was very cooperative and ready
Cons
the order side was to persuade the client for physiotherapy exercise and taking medication
Demanding work environment for qualified personnel who like a challenge.
Asst. Director of Nursing, Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D1 September 2014
My work day starts early before 8am. I read all reports and consult clinical staff on developments. I carry out a round of the service shortly afterwards. My work puts me in contact with a lot of service personnel, Clients and their families.
I have learned a lot in the service as the landscape is constantly changing due to improvements in legislation.
Standards are a challenge to maintain in a resource driven service but it makes you reflect on what are your essential needs.
Assessment is ongoing and accountability important as it focuses attention.
Pros
Healthy environment with a strong emphasis on primary healthcare, fitness.
Cons
Shifts can be long but go quickly due to comprehensive nature of the work.
A good place to work with harmony among staff members.
Senior Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D1 March 2014
It is a dynamic place to work, full of surprises and challenges on a daily bases. As it a Forensic services, one deals with high profile cases of people who have committed most unimaginable crimes against humanity and is for us to be fair and impartial in assessing their mental status to stand trial, failing which to commence therapeutic treatment for their mental illness. We have a diverse staff composition with differing religious beliefs and unequal levels of education is up to you as person in charge to allocate them accordingly to make use of their exceptional skills and to keep harmony amongst them. The same is true for our patients, they have different problems of mental illness and is for us to offer them treatment as individuals and unique in their own ways. Other settings, see isolation as a routine measure to contain aggressive behaviors. but it is a tough call to make when you think about its dehumanizing implication on a patient. However, if there is an absolute necessity, then seclusion shall be implemented in a dignified and therapeutic way. The most enjoyable time, is when looking back at the tedious journey you travelled with your patient and he is back to his functional state and ready to face the outside world as an independent and fully functional member of the community.
Pros
Paid breaks, uniform allowances, night duty and holiday premiums
Cons
No medical aid cover
I enjoyed working in the Health Service Executive. It gave me experience in a wide variety of departments and I was given responsibility for my work.
clerical administrator (Former Employee) –  Churchtown, Dublin 148 October 2013
A typical day in the HSE was very busy and varied. I could be taking minutes at a conference, answering phones, writing reports and entering data onto systems. I learned that confidentiality is paramount when working in such an environment and with the public. The management at times might not have been great but everyone pulled together to get the job done. My co-workers were a great team and we all worked together to get the job done as well as possible and on time. The hardest part of the job was when sensitive decisions had to be made regarding children and families but for me the most enjoyable part of the job was when the outcome for families was positive and when a task was completed successfully.
Pros
We had a lot of leave.
Cons
Due to the current economic climate in the HSE, we had to cover a lot of positions which was stressful.
Environmental Health
student environmental officer (Former Employee) –  Dublin north east26 February 2013
i had worked there as a student in my third year of environmental health when studying in Dublin institute of technology.
9:30 start and look at paper work and go out on inspections. i was shown there systems and there working procedure. management where involved and willing to help with any problems or questions asked. very helpful in the sections i worked in. the hardest part of the job was understanding the different parts of the jobs.
Pros
good lunch at reasonable prices
Cons
no problems