Health Service Executive
Health Service Executive Employee Review

Environmental Health

26 February 2013
i had worked there as a student in my third year of environmental health when studying in Dublin institute of technology.
9:30 start and look at paper work and go out on inspections. i was shown there systems and there working procedure. management where involved and willing to help with any problems or questions asked. very helpful in the sections i worked in. the hardest part of the job was understanding the different parts of the jobs.
Pros
good lunch at reasonable prices
Cons
no problems
3 February 2020
Clerical Officer (Current Employee) - Dublin
There is a hierarchy in every area and if you're not part of the clique then you have no chance of any real advancement. Information is never passed on to the administration staff. Management offer nothing but lip service both to staff and the public. It's a seriously competitive atmosphere and definitely 'jobs for the boys'. Not a nice place to work.
3 September 2018
Homeless Outreach Worker (Former Employee) - Dublin
I enjoyed my time working in the Health Service Executive. A typical day in work would have been constant contact with service users and staff from the appropriate places e.g hostel staff, hospital's, drug treatment centres, prison services etc. I have learned a lot in the last year, how to communicate with service users. Learning how to deal with intense situations and being able to be professional at all times.
Pros
Great learning skills
27 February 2017
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) - Dublin
My day usually starts with a handover from night shift (if coming in to work as a morning shift). If I'm the in charge of the day , i will allocate my staff to do the work i.e. bedsidecare and supervision. My responsibilities for the day is to do drug rounds, answer phone for inquiries as well as carry out doctors order. Attend MDT meeting and assist staff with Care plans review , Order medications from pharmacy.
Management is always there to monitor and support us despite the fact that they are busy too.

Always looking forward to work every shift knowing that your in a good team its guaranteed that it will be fruitful day for all of us. Sometimes the day will not turn out to be good, there are other staff that will not do their work on time but for me i always lend a helping hand to them.

Hardest part is dealing with End of life Care patients and challenging and abusive behaviour

The most enjoyable part is at the end of my 12 hour shift or sometimes more i am happy that i survived the trials for the day and grateful that i made difference to my patients and to their next of kin. My Patient saying thank you to you and see you tomorrow is a music to my ears no matter what we've been through on that shift.
Pros
Free breakfast, free dinner and christmas party all paid for
Cons
long hours, understaff and working under pressure