Health Service Executive

Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

Ireland35 reviews
There is a hierarchy in every area and if you're not part of the clique then you have no chance of any real advancement. Information is never passed on to the administration staff. Management offer nothing but lip service both to staff and the public. It's a seriously competitive atmosphere and definitely 'jobs for the boys'. Not a nice place to work.
What an awful place. Dirty workplace bad managers horrible horrible.
If anyone offers you a job here just keep running. Managers are stealing money. Working conditions are dreadful. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
home time
Cons
managers
Oh dear where to begin. Horrible management mainly. Not very nice to deal with. No career progression . One senior manager had their house cleaned by a company and the hse paid before they left for Europe. Who owns the carpet.
Pros
Getting free fuel
Cons
This is possibly the most badly run organisation in Ireland especially cork. The management. Are useless and up each others rear end. Badly managed, horrible people , it should be reformed and HSE staff sacked. All totally useless. They should be ashamed of themselves nothing more than a bunch of pen pushers , making mistakes all day long. Horrible people.
Cons
I really enjoy meeting my clients everyday as for some of them I might be there only point of contact for the day. I learned that its important to listen to people and treat them with dignity. Management is good, and my co-workers are very helpful and great team members. Hardest part of the job is losing the people you work with everyday. I enjoy doing my job as I know I make people happy and they really look forward to seeing you again.
this client came in with stroke with one side become paralyse, with the help of my self and other team are able to give recovery back to the client.The client came in with no hope and the teams assured him of hope.
Pros
The good was the client was very cooperative and ready
Cons
the order side was to persuade the client for physiotherapy exercise and taking medication
The staff, management, place of work everything about this office was great. It was such a pity that this was only a three month contract. I got on so well with all the other staff, including management. Because I was covering annual leave I didnt really have a particular role, I was more there to help out but that was fine as I didnt have any experience and this was a great place to receive all the experience I needed, considering the role I took up after completing college.
My work day starts early before 8am. I read all reports and consult clinical staff on developments. I carry out a round of the service shortly afterwards. My work puts me in contact with a lot of service personnel, Clients and their families.
I have learned a lot in the service as the landscape is constantly changing due to improvements in legislation.

Standards are a challenge to maintain in a resource driven service but it makes you reflect on what are your essential needs.

Assessment is ongoing and accountability important as it focuses attention.
Pros
Healthy environment with a strong emphasis on primary healthcare, fitness.
Cons
Shifts can be long but go quickly due to comprehensive nature of the work.
It is a dynamic place to work, full of surprises and challenges on a daily bases. As it a Forensic services, one deals with high profile cases of people who have committed most unimaginable crimes against humanity and is for us to be fair and impartial in assessing their mental status to stand trial, failing which to commence therapeutic treatment for their mental illness. We have a diverse staff composition with differing religious beliefs and unequal levels of education is up to you as person in charge to allocate them accordingly to make use of their exceptional skills and to keep harmony amongst them. The same is true for our patients, they have different problems of mental illness and is for us to offer them treatment as individuals and unique in their own ways. Other settings, see isolation as a routine measure to contain aggressive behaviors. but it is a tough call to make when you think about its dehumanizing implication on a patient. However, if there is an absolute necessity, then seclusion shall be implemented in a dignified and therapeutic way. The most enjoyable time, is when looking back at the tedious journey you travelled with your patient and he is back to his functional state and ready to face the outside world as an independent and fully functional member of the community.
Pros
Paid breaks, uniform allowances, night duty and holiday premiums
Cons
No medical aid cover
Irish EMS is far behind in the world of EMS. Management has no clue how to run an EMS system, too much government involvement. Could be a great place if they stopped the closet deals that hurt the field workers and get people from outside Ireland to build and run the system
Varied and interesting day to day challenges from all aspects of child care and accomodating protocol whilst placing the childs needs as paramount.
A typical day in the HSE was very busy and varied. I could be taking minutes at a conference, answering phones, writing reports and entering data onto systems. I learned that confidentiality is paramount when working in such an environment and with the public. The management at times might not have been great but everyone pulled together to get the job done. My co-workers were a great team and we all worked together to get the job done as well as possible and on time. The hardest part of the job was when sensitive decisions had to be made regarding children and families but for me the most enjoyable part of the job was when the outcome for families was positive and when a task was completed successfully.
Pros
We had a lot of leave.
Cons
Due to the current economic climate in the HSE, we had to cover a lot of positions which was stressful.
Work beging at 8.00am to about 5.30pm, it's a challange every day, the team and I work very well together, we tend to work towards the same goals. Working under tight budgets can be difficult at times but we tend to get very good value for money with a little effort. No one day is like another which makes each day go quite quickly and most times enjoyable and a little tasking.
Pros
Full time secure job
Cons
Little chance of promotion
i had worked there as a student in my third year of environmental health when studying in Dublin institute of technology.
9:30 start and look at paper work and go out on inspections. i was shown there systems and there working procedure. management where involved and willing to help with any problems or questions asked. very helpful in the sections i worked in. the hardest part of the job was understanding the different parts of the jobs.
Pros
good lunch at reasonable prices
Cons
no problems
My co-workers was the best part of the job. They were good support and friendly. Coming to the end of my career with the HSE, it became very difficult to accept the low moral among all the employees because of the cutbacks due to the recession. Most of my colleagues were at an all time low because of the recession, we could see that the health service was going to hit rock bottom and we could do nothing about it. It was very frustrating!
Pros
no perks!