Health Service Executive Employee Reviews

Loved everything about this office
Grade III Administration (Former Employee) –  Ireland8 January 2015
The staff, management, place of work everything about this office was great. It was such a pity that this was only a three month contract. I got on so well with all the other staff, including management. Because I was covering annual leave I didnt really have a particular role, I was more there to help out but that was fine as I didnt have any experience and this was a great place to receive all the experience I needed, considering the role I took up after completing college.
Demanding work environment for qualified personnel who like a challenge.
Asst. Director of Nursing, Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D1 September 2014
My work day starts early before 8am. I read all reports and consult clinical staff on developments. I carry out a round of the service shortly afterwards. My work puts me in contact with a lot of service personnel, Clients and their families.
I have learned a lot in the service as the landscape is constantly changing due to improvements in legislation.
Standards are a challenge to maintain in a resource driven service but it makes you reflect on what are your essential needs.
Assessment is ongoing and accountability important as it focuses attention.
Pros
Healthy environment with a strong emphasis on primary healthcare, fitness.
Cons
Shifts can be long but go quickly due to comprehensive nature of the work.
A good place to work with harmony among staff members.
Senior Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D1 March 2014
It is a dynamic place to work, full of surprises and challenges on a daily bases. As it a Forensic services, one deals with high profile cases of people who have committed most unimaginable crimes against humanity and is for us to be fair and impartial in assessing their mental status to stand trial, failing which to commence therapeutic treatment for their mental illness. We have a diverse staff composition with differing religious beliefs and unequal levels of education is up to you as person in charge to allocate them accordingly to make use of their exceptional skills and to keep harmony amongst them. The same is true for our patients, they have different problems of mental illness and is for us to offer them treatment as individuals and unique in their own ways. Other settings, see isolation as a routine measure to contain aggressive behaviors. but it is a tough call to make when you think about its dehumanizing implication on a patient. However, if there is an absolute necessity, then seclusion shall be implemented in a dignified and therapeutic way. The most enjoyable time, is when looking back at the tedious journey you travelled with your patient and he is back to his functional state and ready to face the outside world as an independent and fully functional member of the community.
Pros
Paid breaks, uniform allowances, night duty and holiday premiums
Cons
No medical aid cover
Behind the rest of the world
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Limerick Ireland3 December 2013
Irish EMS is far behind in the world of EMS. Management has no clue how to run an EMS system, too much government involvement. Could be a great place if they stopped the closet deals that hurt the field workers and get people from outside Ireland to build and run the system
Extremely rewarding, valuing, interesting and challenging career
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Ireland2 November 2013
Varied and interesting day to day challenges from all aspects of child care and accomodating protocol whilst placing the childs needs as paramount.
I enjoyed working in the Health Service Executive. It gave me experience in a wide variety of departments and I was given responsibility for my work.
clerical administrator (Former Employee) –  Churchtown, Dublin 148 October 2013
A typical day in the HSE was very busy and varied. I could be taking minutes at a conference, answering phones, writing reports and entering data onto systems. I learned that confidentiality is paramount when working in such an environment and with the public. The management at times might not have been great but everyone pulled together to get the job done. My co-workers were a great team and we all worked together to get the job done as well as possible and on time. The hardest part of the job was when sensitive decisions had to be made regarding children and families but for me the most enjoyable part of the job was when the outcome for families was positive and when a task was completed successfully.
Pros
We had a lot of leave.
Cons
Due to the current economic climate in the HSE, we had to cover a lot of positions which was stressful.
Great job security but little chance of advancement
Procurement /Warehouse & Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Limerick Ireland9 September 2013
Work beging at 8.00am to about 5.30pm, it's a challange every day, the team and I work very well together, we tend to work towards the same goals. Working under tight budgets can be difficult at times but we tend to get very good value for money with a little effort. No one day is like another which makes each day go quite quickly and most times enjoyable and a little tasking.
Pros
Full time secure job
Cons
Little chance of promotion
Environmental Health
student environmental officer (Former Employee) –  Dublin north east26 February 2013
i had worked there as a student in my third year of environmental health when studying in Dublin institute of technology.
9:30 start and look at paper work and go out on inspections. i was shown there systems and there working procedure. management where involved and willing to help with any problems or questions asked. very helpful in the sections i worked in. the hardest part of the job was understanding the different parts of the jobs.
Pros
good lunch at reasonable prices
Cons
no problems
Job was demanding, not much encouragement
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Longford11 October 2012
My co-workers was the best part of the job. They were good support and friendly. Coming to the end of my career with the HSE, it became very difficult to accept the low moral among all the employees because of the cutbacks due to the recession. Most of my colleagues were at an all time low because of the recession, we could see that the health service was going to hit rock bottom and we could do nothing about it. It was very frustrating!
Pros
no perks!