Heatons Employee Reviews

Not a nice environment to work in.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick11 April 2019
Some Managers pick on employees and do not have respect for anyone. They are unprofessional and rude. This is not a good place to work for and I would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
good pay but not worth it over the management making you hate working there
Cons
Bad hours and horrible management team
Very productive, supportive place to work
Group Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 October 2018
Great business to be a part of overall.
Great feedback and support daily
I had a super management team
Great team support in the office, one team.
Great opportunity to develop your career.
Super bonus scheme
Company car fully expense
Pros
I enjoyed my job
Cons
No Cons
n/a
Store and Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roscommon21 June 2018
Really nice place to work. Nice staff and colleagues. Everyone made feel welcome. Store is now closed and missed by alot of the locals. Enjoyed seeing the new products.
Productive and fun work place
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Midleton, County Cork4 May 2018
Day to day work life was fun even though I didn't get that much hours as I was a part time worker. The managers and staff were lovely to work with also.
Pros
fun workplace
Heatons until Sports Direct Buyover
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tallaght, County Dublin26 April 2018
I have worked for the company for 4 years, starting as a retail sales associate but have tirelessly worked to progress myself within the company up to supervisor.
It was an amazing place to work and had great benefits such as Career Progression, Job Safety and a competitive rate of pay,
I have learned everything I know about management, leadership and many other life skills by working alongside many of the high profile and influencing managers in the company.
Recently we were part of a buy-out where Sports Direct ltd bought us over 100%, when the buyout was completed the company began to go downhill, many of the high profile managers left and the standards of the companies dropped.
Job security is still high, they still pay a competitive wage but the career progression and the standards of the company has dropped immensely.
Pros
Flexible working hours, Job security
Cons
Standards and career progression
Fun and productive work place
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal6 November 2017
At first I was a bit nevious met store manager on the first day which was a great help she ensured me that if I was stuck worried or needed any help to ask, brilliant work atmosphere would recommend to anyone applying
Pros
20% discount
Hard work
Weekend Manager (Current Employee) –  Cavan5 September 2017
New owner not really interested in Heatons just Sports.
Hours are not been fairly shared .
All extra hrs going to the Sports dept.
Not enough hours as it is for the staff already there.
But new staff been taken on.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Only 4 hr shifts
Used to be a nice place to work until Sports Direct took over
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork18 August 2017
I started working in Heatons 3 years ago it was a nice place I had a good manager. The hours were good and fairly handed out. If the store beat their budget every month the employees got a decent share of that. There was 30% discount on most products you could avail of the discount any day you wished. The head office had good communication with the stores with plannograms, top 20 best selling products so you knew what was selling well and what wasn't and how to try and fix this etc. They gave a decent Christmas bonus after a year of service.
In come Sports Direct slashed everyone's hours claiming they had to give everyone their "average hours" while taking on new staff for 4 hour shifts weekly. The only profit the staff get a share in now is based on a very small number of items that they have to sell themselves so it encourages cut throat sales and division between staff members instead of everyone working together to make the sales. The discount was cut back to 20% on Thursday and Friday only. And on one certain till and certain staff members only. The head office staff were all pushed out and replaced by a bunch of tantrum throwing toddlers who keep contradicting each other resulting in chaos for the stores in what practice they're supposed to use and the staff will be lucky to see Christmas bonuses again.
All in all Sports Direct have ruined Heatons. Don't work for them they don't care about their staff anymore
Pros
20% discount if you get a chance to use it
Cons
4 hour shifts constantly changing rosters and kids running the company
long hours and lots of responsibility
Trainee Manager (Former Employee) –  Wexford Ireland26 April 2017
I was a trainee manager at this store for 6 months. During this time I learned a lot and gained lots of experience. Managing staff and general running of this store was challenging and rewarding at same time.
Pros
loved job
Cons
distance
great place to work for the first time in retail
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick5 April 2017
got this job for a Christmas contract. i got the proper feel of how everything ran in the retail store as it approached busy season.
great workers and staff very friendly.
Pros
discount for christmas
It is a very friendly environment and it is very kind place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballina, County Mayo16 February 2017
It was an enjoyable place to work, the staff was very kind and friendly and the working conditions was very good and overall everything was great and i would like to work in a place like that in the future.
Pros
Close to home, friendly staff
Hated this job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal12 December 2016
I didn't like working here at all and I'm fairly easily pleased. I go treated very poorly and they gave a lot of empty broken promises.
Pros
i dont work there anymore
productive and fairly treated
Waitress and bartender (Former Employee) –  Longford11 November 2016
I loved working in heatons because I loved everyone I worked with and found the work environment productive. The bosses were strict but i found them fair and very appreciative.
Working as a sales assistant in a very popular store like heatons has been a great learning experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth2 November 2016
I came across amazing people taught me various different things about working in the retail industry. heatons has a very high standard in presentation and how the company wants the store to be viewed the work rate was always high. I learnt the store standards straight away and was able to adapt to the rules and my working environment.
gained Great work retail experience working in the stockrooms and sales floor
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford1 October 2016
As part of my duties in Heatons I worked in both the stockroom and sales floor. I helped bring in deliveries and get the new stock to the floor and balance to stockrooms. I also helped on the sales floor working with the customers and keeping the floor tidy. There was over 50 staff in the shop and 5 managers.
Pros
flexible hours and enjoyed working on the sales floor
Cons
Taking in deliveries in the rain. Favourite part was dealing with the customer on the floor
Stockroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dublin15 June 2016
Est 69 years ago, Heatons has become one of Ireland's largest groups of department stores. For the latest men’s women’s and kids fashion and footwear as well as contemporary home wares, home textiles and toiletries, plus the latest in CDs and DVDs all at incredibly low prices, we have everything you need. Visit one any of our 54 stores all over Ireland.
Poor
Floor Staff/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth7 April 2016
Very dull day to day lifestyle in the shop. Head office are nothing but rude when they come to store. I don't see much structure with this company.
Friendly work enviroment, great oppurtunitys
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 February 2016
Busy work place with very friendly management and co workers daily routine included till work, merchandising, dealing with customers and keeping departments presentable clean and tidy at all times.
Pros
staff discount
I loved River Island when it was a family ran business.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D27 October 2015
I loved working for river island. It gave me a very strong base that I've built my career on. I would highly recommend working for River Island
decent fair workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D13 October 2015
i got along with most of my fellow co-workers and the managers in the store but i was not getting enough hours i was only woking 4-12 hours a week so i've decided to look for other work
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
was not getting enough hours