Heatons Employee Reviews

n/a
Store and Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roscommon21 June 2018
Really nice place to work. Nice staff and colleagues. Everyone made feel welcome. Store is now closed and missed by alot of the locals. Enjoyed seeing the new products.
Heatons until Sports Direct Buyover
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tallaght, County Dublin26 April 2018
I have worked for the company for 4 years, starting as a retail sales associate but have tirelessly worked to progress myself within the company up to supervisor.
It was an amazing place to work and had great benefits such as Career Progression, Job Safety and a competitive rate of pay,
I have learned everything I know about management, leadership and many other life skills by working alongside many of the high profile and influencing managers in the company.
Recently we were part of a buy-out where Sports Direct ltd bought us over 100%, when the buyout was completed the company began to go downhill, many of the high profile managers left and the standards of the companies dropped.
Job security is still high, they still pay a competitive wage but the career progression and the standards of the company has dropped immensely.
Pros
Flexible working hours, Job security
Cons
Standards and career progression
Hard work
Weekend Manager (Current Employee) –  Cavan5 September 2017
New owner not really interested in Heatons just Sports.
Hours are not been fairly shared .
All extra hrs going to the Sports dept.
Not enough hours as it is for the staff already there.
But new staff been taken on.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Only 4 hr shifts
Used to be a nice place to work until Sports Direct took over
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork18 August 2017
I started working in Heatons 3 years ago it was a nice place I had a good manager. The hours were good and fairly handed out. If the store beat their budget every month the employees got a decent share of that. There was 30% discount on most products you could avail of the discount any day you wished. The head office had good communication with the stores with plannograms, top 20 best selling products so you knew what was selling well and what wasn't and how to try and fix this etc. They gave a decent Christmas bonus after a year of service.
In come Sports Direct slashed everyone's hours claiming they had to give everyone their "average hours" while taking on new staff for 4 hour shifts weekly. The only profit the staff get a share in now is based on a very small number of items that they have to sell themselves so it encourages cut throat sales and division between staff members instead of everyone working together to make the sales. The discount was cut back to 20% on Thursday and Friday only. And on one certain till and certain staff members only. The head office staff were all pushed out and replaced by a bunch of tantrum throwing toddlers who keep contradicting each other resulting in chaos for the stores in what practice they're supposed to use and the staff will be lucky to see Christmas bonuses again.
All in all Sports Direct have ruined Heatons. Don't work for them they don't care about their staff anymore
Pros
20% discount if you get a chance to use it
Cons
4 hour shifts constantly changing rosters and kids running the company
long hours and lots of responsibility
Trainee Manager (Former Employee) –  Wexford Ireland26 April 2017
I was a trainee manager at this store for 6 months. During this time I learned a lot and gained lots of experience. Managing staff and general running of this store was challenging and rewarding at same time.
Pros
loved job
Cons
distance
great place to work for the first time in retail
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick5 April 2017
got this job for a Christmas contract. i got the proper feel of how everything ran in the retail store as it approached busy season.
great workers and staff very friendly.
Pros
discount for christmas
It is a very friendly environment and it is very kind place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballina, County Mayo16 February 2017
It was an enjoyable place to work, the staff was very kind and friendly and the working conditions was very good and overall everything was great and i would like to work in a place like that in the future.
Pros
Close to home, friendly staff
Hated this job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal12 December 2016
I didn't like working here at all and I'm fairly easily pleased. I go treated very poorly and they gave a lot of empty broken promises.
Pros
i dont work there anymore
Cons
Working as a sales assistant in a very popular store like heatons has been a great learning experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth2 November 2016
I came across amazing people taught me various different things about working in the retail industry. heatons has a very high standard in presentation and how the company wants the store to be viewed the work rate was always high. I learnt the store standards straight away and was able to adapt to the rules and my working environment.
Stockroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dublin15 June 2016
Est 69 years ago, Heatons has become one of Ireland's largest groups of department stores. For the latest men’s women’s and kids fashion and footwear as well as contemporary home wares, home textiles and toiletries, plus the latest in CDs and DVDs all at incredibly low prices, we have everything you need. Visit one any of our 54 stores all over Ireland.

Want to know more about Heatons?

Ask a question
Poor
Floor Staff/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth7 April 2016
Very dull day to day lifestyle in the shop. Head office are nothing but rude when they come to store. I don't see much structure with this company.
Friendly work enviroment, great oppurtunitys
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 February 2016
Busy work place with very friendly management and co workers daily routine included till work, merchandising, dealing with customers and keeping departments presentable clean and tidy at all times.
Pros
staff discount
I loved River Island when it was a family ran business.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D27 October 2015
I loved working for river island. It gave me a very strong base that I've built my career on. I would highly recommend working for River Island
decent fair workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D13 October 2015
i got along with most of my fellow co-workers and the managers in the store but i was not getting enough hours i was only woking 4-12 hours a week so i've decided to look for other work
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
was not getting enough hours
Great Workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carrickmines, D2 October 2015
I work from 6am-1 or 2pm about 4-5 days a week.
In that shift I would do delivery, which intail unloading cages of stock to be put out onto shelves before the store opens.
Friendly staff and management.
Pros
nearby to home
Cons
flexible hours
Online Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Heatons Head Office Tallaght9 July 2015
-face paced environment
-learned to work efficiently
-marketing group works as a team
-hard work gives you opportunity to progress in the company
Heatons
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 May 2015
In this job I had one day a week, as i was in college, my day would be a 4 hour shift on tills, and tidying the shop floor and merchandising. It was my first job in the the fasion sector in retail, so I learned a lot about that, Management changed a lot, so it was hard to form a relationship with the management of my department, but they were good to work with.
Cons
very little hours
good customer service
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick, LK30 January 2015
I worked weekend in Heatons and I was a cashier and I help clean shop after it closed.
I gained a lot of skills on how to approach customer who have complaints and I learned how to exchange items for the consumer.
The management in Heatons was not top quality but I really enjoyed my time there.
I got on great with my co-workers and still keep in contact with them. We all worked really well as a team.
I didn't consider the job difficult my experience there was enjoyable.
The enjoyable part of job was interacting the the customers
Pros
Got on great with my co workers
Cons
No proper training
Boring
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, SCT12 November 2014
It was fun place to work hover but management. my co-workers were fun to work with.

end of the day cleaning and tiding the shop

serving customers
Pros
customers
Cons
stressful and lack support
Heatons , Maynooth
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Maynooth3 November 2014
This job was very helpful towards me. It helped me expand my personal skills which is making me more confident towards customers and staff as well. The staff was very kind and helpful which is a good advantage. I got good times each day which was very good. The shop was very organized and well tidy which is also good. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers as I was working around Christmas Time it was very busy with shoppers want to buy stuff that was out of stock. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I got to meet very nice people in the job and become more confident in myself that I could achieve doing good in that job.
Pros
Helpful Staff
Cons
Busy, Hard to Multitask while helping customers