Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel Employee Reviews in Athlone, County Westmeath

The hotel and catering industry is very busy environment to work in. Recommended for those who likes work long hours. There are opportunities to work in different departments.
Promotes a culture of favouritism and bullying. Management form friendships with select staff and have them watch other staff while they are not there and report back. No progression or positive reinforcement only negative. Toxic atmosphere headed by managers who would totally ignore you all day only speaking to the favourite staff members. No appreciation for staff and just about pay minimum wage, looking for an increase requires begging for months and even telhen they throw you a few cents and expect you to be grateful. Rosters are done to prioritise the favourite staff members while the rest are left to work every single weekend.
Pros
The location and view
Cons
The managment and favouritism
The job was sold to me so enthusiastically I was so excited for the potential of the role. The reality is completely different. Place zero trust in staff, offer little to no flexibility. You are watched like a hawk. The time I spent working there knocked my confidence in every way. If you are hoping to further your career in hospitality run dont walk away from this hotel. It's a lovely family run business and a great hotel but cannot recommend as somewhere good to work.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Terrible lunch food, wages, backwards management
Very busy hotel Lot of departments and a lot people working You'll meet a lot of new people Very stressful and high relativity of employees but fun p
A fast paced learning environment. I enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly relationship between co-workers and management. A good job for working overtime
Pros
Free meals
Especially as a person working there at night my team always felt excluded as we were always a lost identity in the hotel. In general not a nice place to work in only good thing about the place is some of the ppl that work in there.
Pros
Free lunches but i would not go near them.
Cons
Long hours no one appreciates the work done.
I was worked at Hodson Bay Hotel for the summer of 2016. It's a busy place but you learn a lot about yourself. The manager are helpful. I also acquired a nice experience about working with big groups.
I have worked in numerous departments which inclue day and night porter, house keeping and restaurant along with octagon. I enjoyed the experience but I want something new
Run morning reports to include Events being held on the day. Dealing with customers both on the phone and reception
Pros
free meals
Cons
The early shift
- A typical day at work involved organising indoor and outdoor games and activities for large groups of children between the ages of 0-12, organising and serving them lunch and dinner and organising an evening movie for them - I learned how to be patient and deal with difficult children while remaining friendly and happy towards them. I learned how to work as part of a team and under the direction of a supervisor - My co- workers were of a similar age and we got along really well which made the job an enjoyable experience - The hardest part of the job was keeping a large group of young children under control - The most enjoyable part of the job was playing games with children and encouraging them to make friends
  1. Athlone, County Westmeath