Holland & Barrett

Holland & Barrett Employee Reviews

overall review of Holland and Barrett is slightly negative, great at building your skills but level of progression is very limited and salary is not very attractive and the location is not very ideal for people who do not drive.
Constant pattern of bullying. Bias middle management that don’t want the hassle to solve the problem, just get rid and onto the next one. The manager is a horrible person to work for and will make your life miserable. Then they’ll get rid of you because of course going through 4-6 assistant managers a year (must be them) best thing I did was leave. Good luck if you like stress and incompetent managment and area managers.
Pros
Cons
No structure, no progression, no support from management, no assistance with unions or advice on dealing with conflicts
I worked for the company for around a year. In that time there was so much bullying in the workplace and after seeking advice it was reported. There's zero confidentiality in the process as the person bullying was the manager and a few days after she had been reported she fired me. I contacted the company and was brushed off. She had said I handed my notice in. Do not work in H&B
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Do not work here. Limerick stores. Regional Manager is soulless and does not care about staff. Only care about numbers. You are treated like a worthless animal
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else. Especially Regional Manager
Working at holland and Barrett is a relaxed environment and staff and manager are very friendly and bubbly! The shop is small and not very busy which makes work there easier
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Nothing really
this job took a lot of studying where new products were comeing into the workplace on a constant basis and it required a lot of learning about them there was also a promotional changeover every month so it required full energy and planning ahead as in what sale it was going to be so have the stock room organised was essential and knowing what your stock level was is an essential part at working with holland and barrett.
I worked here on work experience for 5 months and was fairly payed even though they did not have to pay me. Great management and friendly staff. I would recommend working here
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Not flexible hours
I am enjoying my time in Holland and Barrett and would definitely recommend as a great starting company for anyone looking for a clear career path in logistics.
Working for this company over a year now. Been by far the worst year I've had in a long time. Extremely stressful, awful pay that is usually incorrect, absolutely no work/life balance and the management is god awful. They only care for making target and not how you are being treated. You will be expected to do everyone elses job but only be paid entry level. Just an overall mess o.company
This is a poor company to work for, You will be alone mostly in the shop and nearly go insane from it. In that way you will have no friends from work because of that. Regional Management are vultures and only care for targets and profits made by understaffed and under paid stores across the country. DO NOT WORK HERE.
I found the training great if your looking to learn about all aspects of health and we'll being! There is a lot of autonomous learning and you really have to do some learning at home
I don't know where to start. This company does not care about their staff. They only care about targets and sales. You will also have to put up with monthly pay that they always get wrong. You then have to wait a month for it to be fixed and then you get taxed on that. You will always end up working on your own and they won't care. DON'T WORK HERE.
You're always understaffed in this place and often lone working. People from above speak to the rest of you like you're children using very aggressive emails. Constant pressure is put on staff to meet targets that are difficult to achieve due to the lack of support from the company and errors in the systems. For a "wellness" company they don't care at all about their staffs wellbeing!
No Positive reinforcement used, targets driven on fear. Head office down micromanage everything. Extreme lack of staff means lots of lone trading. New pay structure means no bonus incentive for anyone under regional manager. Work/life balance is not catered for, expected to be at the company call at all times. Good staff discount at 25%.
Pros
Staff discount 25%
Cons
Hours, targets and threats of disciplinary action for missing targets.
This job is very varied. You'll never be bored because theres always something to do ie stock shelves organising date checking approaching customers and setting up for promotions. If you like to be kept busy and get organised its fine but can get frustrating at the start when you don't know where to begin Theres alot of training like no exaggeration here. Like a lot. All online in your own time. And frequent product updates. There's a lot to learn so if you're not interested in healthy lifestyle don't bother. At the beginning can be frustrating because you literally have no clue, but there are books available and if all else fails google. But you will learn as you go. A lot of targets, some of which are out of your control, like rfls and conversion etc.. It's very American system of link buying that imo doesn't suit irish culture, we're very careful with our money and we don't like stuff being pushed on us. If you treat the customers fairly they will come back but if you ask them the amount of stuff the company want you to ask customers you will Only annoy them and yourself. You have to approach everyone, its hard to get used, and some people will get annoyed at you. If you get lucky and your manager is nice great. If not again don't bother There's always extra hours going for covering other stores if you have a car it can be worth while It doesn't get overly busy in some stores. You're only working with a small team and a lot of the time on your own. Theres small pay increases the longer you stay and possibly the biggest positive is the staff discount. The quality - more...
Pros
Staff discount, learning how to improve your health and the health of others, varied work load, lot of independent working
Cons
Poor contract, poor targets, poor pay at the start, customers can get rude, tils can freeze often
In general a nice place to be if you have an interest in the health section. Plenty of learning, and knowledge. Often you have to study at home and be able to recommend and sell their product. Not great for a family person. Management depends on where you are, I came across a really nice lady, but then along the way also met the lazy and careless people. I guess like anywhere really.
Pros
discount
Cons
high labor turnover / work at home and preparing for tests (unpaid)
If your interested in the products sold you'll find it very interesting and will gain a lot of knowledge. The turn over of staff is a lot higher in the last few years than it used to be.
Pros
Overtime always available
Cons
Alot of loan trading due to staff shortages
Turn over rate speaks for itself. Nearly always alone in the shop. Don't get paid for the extra time before or after the shop opens/closes. Head office are bullies. Don't get paid properly most months. And never get the pay rises they promise for the copious amount of work you have to do and tests you have to sit. Only good thing is employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else
It was not my favourite place to work, but it was still great experience for me. i learned lots about health and nutriotion while working which was crucial of doing well while working here, as customers always have questons about what they puchase.
I read these reviews before I started and thought "it can't be that bad" but seriously, it is. PLEASE don't get a job here, at least not a managerial one. It is salaried and you will feel under paid within a month because of the endless tasks involved. The bureaucracy involved is incredible, lots of authorization needed to do simple things and tonnes of paperwork. Potential disciplinary proceedings for leaving doors unlocked. Have to pass a test to open and close the store etc The tills are extremely SLOW and you will often apologize to the customer for the receipt being frustratingly slow to print or the system going offline. Learning the knowledge is overwhelming at first and you won't get paid for it as a manager and you will definitely have to put in the hours at home. They have brought in a new thing were they pay people for study but as far as I know it only applies to Sales assistants up to Assistant Manager's as they are paid hourly. Potentially, and most often, Assistant Manager's have it good, they have less stress and can out earn store manager's which isn't fair. I suspect Area Manager's bonuses are linked to store expenditure so they don't care about lone trading which happens all the time! You will be by yourself, giving advice to one customer who needs time and attention and there's a queue at the till or vice versa and it will be you that has to deal with irritated customers not anyone else. There's other tasks too that you need to concentrate on like date checking and click and collects but if you have only 2 people rostered due to budget - more...
Pros
25% off
Cons
Lone trading, incorrect pay, untimely pay, overwhelming workload, bureaucracy, stress
I liked very much the products so it was interesting to learn about it. I didn't like what would be my shift the week after. Nice people to work and had good bosses.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Sometimes I was alone in a big shop