Holland & Barrett
Coronavirus update
Information from Holland & Barrett:

Holland & Barrett Employee Reviews

Ireland33 reviews
overall review of Holland and Barrett is slightly negative, great at building your skills but level of progression is very limited and salary is not very attractive and the location is not very ideal for people who do not drive.
this job took a lot of studying where new products were comeing into the workplace on a constant basis and it required a lot of learning about them there was also a promotional changeover every month so it required full energy and planning ahead as in what sale it was going to be so have the stock room organised was essential and knowing what your stock level was is an essential part at working with holland and barrett.
I worked here on work experience for 5 months and was fairly payed even though they did not have to pay me. Great management and friendly staff. I would recommend working here
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Not flexible hours
I am enjoying my time in Holland and Barrett and would definitely recommend as a great starting company for anyone looking for a clear career path in logistics.
Working for this company over a year now. Been by far the worst year I've had in a long time. Extremely stressful, awful pay that is usually incorrect, absolutely no work/life balance and the management is god awful. They only care for making target and not how you are being treated. You will be expected to do everyone elses job but only be paid entry level. Just an overall mess o.company
This is a poor company to work for, You will be alone mostly in the shop and nearly go insane from it.
In that way you will have no friends from work because of that.

Regional Management are vultures and only care for targets and profits made by understaffed and under paid stores across the country.

DO NOT WORK HERE.
I found the training great if your looking to learn about all aspects of health and we'll being! There is a lot of autonomous learning and you really have to do some learning at home
I don't know where to start. This company does not care about their staff. They only care about targets and sales. You will also have to put up with monthly pay that they always get wrong. You then have to wait a month for it to be fixed and then you get taxed on that.
You will always end up working on your own and they won't care. DON'T WORK HERE.
You're always understaffed in this place and often lone working. People from above speak to the rest of you like you're children using very aggressive emails. Constant pressure is put on staff to meet targets that are difficult to achieve due to the lack of support from the company and errors in the systems.
For a "wellness" company they don't care at all about their staffs wellbeing!
No Positive reinforcement used, targets driven on fear.
Head office down micromanage everything.

Extreme lack of staff means lots of lone trading.

New pay structure means no bonus incentive for anyone under regional manager.

Work/life balance is not catered for, expected to be at the company call at all times.

Good staff discount at 25%.
Pros
Staff discount 25%
Cons
Hours, targets and threats of disciplinary action for missing targets.
This job is very varied. You'll never be bored because theres always something to do ie stock shelves organising date checking approaching customers and setting up for promotions. If you like to be kept busy and get organised its fine but can get frustrating at the start when you don't know where to begin

Theres alot of training like no exaggeration here. Like a lot. All online in your own time. And frequent product updates. There's a lot to learn so if you're not interested in healthy lifestyle don't bother.

At the beginning can be frustrating because you literally have no clue, but there are books available and if all else fails google. But you will learn as you go.

A lot of targets, some of which are out of your control, like rfls and conversion etc.. It's very American system of link buying that imo doesn't suit irish culture, we're very careful with our money and we don't like stuff being pushed on us. If you treat the customers fairly they will come back but if you ask them the amount of stuff the company want you to ask customers you will Only annoy them and yourself. You have to approach everyone, its hard to get used, and some people will get annoyed at you.

If you get lucky and your manager is nice great. If not again don't bother

There's always extra hours going for covering other stores if you have a car it can be worth while

It doesn't get overly busy in some stores. You're only working with a small team and a lot of the time on your own. Theres small pay increases the longer you stay and possibly the biggest positive is the staff discount. The quality
 - more...
Pros
Staff discount, learning how to improve your health and the health of others, varied work load, lot of independent working
Cons
Poor contract, poor targets, poor pay at the start, customers can get rude, tils can freeze often
In general a nice place to be if you have an interest in the health section. Plenty of learning, and knowledge. Often you have to study at home and be able to recommend and sell their product. Not great for a family person.
Management depends on where you are, I came across a really nice lady, but then along the way also met the lazy and careless people. I guess like anywhere really.
Pros
discount
Cons
high labor turnover / work at home and preparing for tests (unpaid)
If your interested in the products sold you'll find it very interesting and will gain a lot of knowledge. The turn over of staff is a lot higher in the last few years than it used to be.
Pros
Overtime always available
Cons
Alot of loan trading due to staff shortages
Turn over rate speaks for itself. Nearly always alone in the shop. Don't get paid for the extra time before or after the shop opens/closes. Head office are bullies. Don't get paid properly most months. And never get the pay rises they promise for the copious amount of work you have to do and tests you have to sit. Only good thing is employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else
It was not my favourite place to work, but it was still great experience for me. i learned lots about health and nutriotion while working which was crucial of doing well while working here, as customers always have questons about what they puchase.
I read these reviews before I started and thought "it can't be that bad" but seriously, it is.

PLEASE don't get a job here, at least not a managerial one. It is salaried and you will feel under paid within a month because of the endless tasks involved.

The bureaucracy involved is incredible, lots of authorization needed to do simple things and tonnes of paperwork. Potential disciplinary proceedings for leaving doors unlocked. Have to pass a test to open and close the store etc

The tills are extremely SLOW and you will often apologize to the customer for the receipt being frustratingly slow to print or the system going offline.

Learning the knowledge is overwhelming at first and you won't get paid for it as a manager and you will definitely have to put in the hours at home. They have brought in a new thing were they pay people for study but as far as I know it only applies to Sales assistants up to Assistant Manager's as they are paid hourly. Potentially, and most often, Assistant Manager's have it good, they have less stress and can out earn store manager's which isn't fair.

I suspect Area Manager's bonuses are linked to store expenditure so they don't care about lone trading which happens all the time! You will be by yourself, giving advice to one customer who needs time and attention and there's a queue at the till or vice versa and it will be you that has to deal with irritated customers not anyone else.

There's other tasks too that you need to concentrate on like date checking and click and collects but if you have only 2 people rostered due to budget
 - more...
Pros
25% off
Cons
Lone trading, incorrect pay, untimely pay, overwhelming workload, bureaucracy, stress
I liked very much the products so it was interesting to learn about it.
I didn't like what would be my shift the week after.

Nice people to work and had good bosses.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Sometimes I was alone in a big shop
A typical day at work - Lots of tasks to do during the day plus customers to serve also. Often working alone. Serving customers, managing KPI's, stock management- date checking-reductions-rotation, stock counts, promo implementations, merchandising, stocking out.

What I learned - better understanding of health and nutrition.

Management - upper management can be described as "manipulative".

Workplace culture - There is none from my experience.

Hardest part of the job - Lots of KPI's to focus on and very difficult to achieve a good KPI result. Lots of tasks to also focus on.

Most enjoyable part of the job - Engaging with customers and offering advice that may help them.
Pros
25% off products
Cons
Lone working, lots of tasks
It's interesting to learn about the products but the company is a mess. You're asked for so much and are pressured to go out of your way. Too much stress for minimum wage. Any other straightforward job would be better.
Pros
discount
Cons
the company as a whole
Was a cool relaxed and enjoyable environment to work in. As I was only there for a week I didn't get a full work experience bu the little time I was there for showed me a glimpse into the world of work;this was my first time working.
Currently an assistant manager in a Dublin store. Loving every day of work. Never thought I'd say that. Upper management offer lots of support to people in stores. Good package and great teams. Would absolutely recommend. Get to learn some very valuable information aswell.
Pros
Work life balance great team learning
Cons
Low wages, poor payroll department that often don't pay you correctly