House of Fraser Employee Reviews

Poor management
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin12 September 2018
I worked in a concession where I had to listen to my concession manager and also a House of Fraser manager where I was told different things.
The management was not helpful and often put sales staff under alot of pressure by being understaffed
New staff were never trained properly
Very hot on the sales floor and was told the air con was controlled by the UK.
Customers had fainted due to heat
Pros
clothes discounts
Cons
poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundrum, County Dublin22 February 2018
When it is busy you would have to be on your feet at all times. Strict on security but they are friendly as well. When things went missing in the lockers you could ask people in the office to see if it was move or change places. Management are quite nice and are willing to help and also other support staff are there to help.
Really enjoyed it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 February 2018
Company was large but felt I could approach management with any issues.

Morning meetings every morning to go through all the sales of the previous day and management often thanked staff for a job well done.

They would organise free breakfasts at christmas and free food during stocktakes.

If you worked hard it was recognised and you were given responsibility if you deserved it,
My motivation within this Company is solely created by myself
Accountable directly to General Manager (Current Employee) –  South Dublin25 August 2015
Resolving any issues that arise as they occur but at the same time not to lose vision of the mandatory daily tasks as all of these are auditable.

Every working day has something to teach you and learn about your ability to add this to your experience

Management have to have complete support at all times

Co-workers respond to kindness and humour favorable

Sometimes if is stressful to make sure all tasks are complete this is important to me as I am task orientated but flexible to other demands

A sense of accomplishment is what is most enjoyable and takes you to a good place in your mind
Pros
Parking - Lunch facilities (usually have my own) - bonus scheme - possibility to increase salary
Badly managed
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dundrum6 October 2015
I would suggest working here only as a jumping off point to kick start a VM career elsewhere as the pay is horrendous (far below industry standard) and there are no opportunities for development or promotion. There are also management issues, namely their lack of understanding/dismissal of what a VM is. As far as I could ascertain this was a Dundrum specific problem and so not a reflection on the company as a whole. This is evident in the huge turnover of VM staff (100% in the last year). Otherwise, I found the people were fantastic and the work very enjoyable. Merchandising and window dressing are increasing guideline heavy so this wouldn't be the most creative role but good insight in to reinforcing brand identities and a unified corporate image. The variety of product would give a rookie great training across numerous departments but be prepared to be expected to give far more than you will get out of it.
Pros
People, product, variety of tasks
Cons
Poor management, terrible remuneration.
Great Starting Point to build a career in retail
Brand Specialist/Manager Dickins & Jones (Former Employee) –  Dundrum, County Dublin13 February 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time here, brilliant place to learn the foundations of managing a brand.

Overheads not always on the same page, depending on the time of year could see a lot of turnover but overall highly rate it.
Pros
organised, room to grow
Cons
turnover of part time staff
dealing with product it was a great experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  aveda25 September 2012
Dealing with a difficult customer,by been polite.
leaning more about products
sales management,i was able to manage product each day.
team work ,was nice
there was no hardest part for me,
each day each moment was really very nice
Not a fun place to work
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 July 2012
Too many managers in senior level contradicting themselves on a daily basis. One will come and demand that something is done on the shop floor and then an hour later another one will come and demand that what you have done gets changed. They are lazy. In my time there I had 3 floor walks by the store manager. This should have been done if not daily then at least 2-3 times per week I had 3 in one and a half years. They are bully's and at senior level are all close friends which serves them well when people do bring cases of unfair treatment etc against them as they do their own internal investigation and the outcome is never in the favour of the person complaining
Pros
good name on your cv
Cons
no support. inadequate training and very unfair policy regarding store approvals
Enjoyable place to work
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D11 June 2013
Set up for the day of business putting out stock merchandising
My time as a Counter Manager i learned the importance to communicate with all members of staff and make sure that what is been said is understood by all parties.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers as we worked well together as we worked as a team reaching the same goal and that was to reach our targerts
The hardest part of the day was that it could be quiet and can make the day feel very long
Having a chat with customers and having regular customers coming to your counter and saying hello to you

Good experience
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dublin17 January 2016
Very hands-on experience working at House of Fraser, all of my skills have been improved and utilized while working here.