Hyatt

Hyatt Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Had been with the company for 25+ yrs. Loved this company and it was my 2nd home. Lots of departments to have cross-training done, umanagement encouraged us to grow our career from within. Lots of opportunities to transfer to other departments or to other hotel properties. I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Staff cafeteria, staff appreciation events.
Cons
I loved working for Hyatt. They truly care about their employees and work together as a team. They had lots of "extras" for employees, like special luncheon days, and community spirit days. Hotel people are fabulous and very friendly. The best job I ever had.
Pros
Free or very inexpensive lunches, subsidized transit, free hotel nights
Cons
Unionized. Hard to get rid of terrible employees once past 3 months.
The Hyatt Corporation philosophy, policy and practices are ethical, everything is equally set with the colleagues (all employees) and customers' wellbeing in mind. This is the reason Hyatt Regency Vancouver endured an excellent reputation for so long. Unfortunately, the middle management and Human Resources Dept. became tributary to the union bosses who got more and more power practising a mob mentality. This happened when HRV became a franchise. HR is in the comfort zone allowing nepotism, discrimination, intimidation. The real, ethical leaders don't stay long here and find a better place as soon as possible. Very hard for good employees who have no choice but to carry on with the work overload with respect for themselves and in order to get enough hours.
Pros
Interaction with people from all parts of the globe, working and making friends with some of the best, hard working immigrant people.
Cons
Union veterans immigrants who brought their unethical practices with them, work overload for some, easy tasks and protection for the union bosses favorites.
It's a great place to work. I recommend it to everyone. Great pay. Benefits. And we are part of the Union. If it's not too busy, management is always happy to let us go early.
on a typical day i would work in any given position around kitchen, i learned all stations and able to train any new hires to hyatt standard thru out the years. managements is acceptable, but lacks of experiences in some managers. the hardest part of the job is dealing with servers that always make mistake in their orders and the most enjoyable part of the job is everything treat each other like family in the kitchen.
I am still engage at Hyatt up to this moment but due to COVID i was laid off since March 15, 2020. The hope of coming back to work is the only thing I have right now. But if the business doesn't go well how should I come back. Hoping that they will retain our post.. Everyone does not have an assurance for our work to come back when the city re opens.. I am looking for job right now to sustain my family and expenses everyday.
Great working environment. Helpful and supportive staff. Great guests. Job included serving banquet events. Working as a team with other banquet housemen.
However the system and processes reduce the ability to evolve emotional intelligence in the workplace. Women are treated very differently and thought of as servants and people who should look pretty professional.
It's an average employer within the hospitality industry. Nothing more to say. As long as you keep your head down and work hard, you'll go far in the company.
A wonderful banquet team with a lot of heart and very knowledgeable they will help and will go the 100% for all clients - I could not ask for a better team
"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." ... "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." ... "Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. ... "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much."
Good environment to work.The management are helpful to every employee. Best place to recommend others who wants to work.Very good benefits and co-workers are friendly and good.
The Hyatt provides a safe and comfortable work environment with efforts on recognizing and rewarding staff members for their efforts within the company. They have always encouraged growth within the industry giving staff members the unique opportunity to cross train through multiple departments to maximize hours. There is also a very comprehensive benefit package available to staff members to ensure our health and well being.
Hyatt Regency work culture is like a family atmosphere. Since day one I felt as though I was contributing to the work culture. The Management is open and supportive.
Pros
Work activities and Incentives
Cons
Advancement can take many years due to union seniority
Lots of work politics. Cafeteria food are often the leftovers from banquet. They fire management position during Christmas time/month. No free meal. Only Taxable Meal. And not edible.
Pros
great MSP great hotel rooms benefit
Cons
staff meal is dry and old.
A typical day at work is setting tables ,serving food drinks, excellent customer service team workgood timely8 hrs on foot customer satisfaction
Pros
free hotel stay
Cons
long hour
Great place to work, great benefits, promotes from within. Regarded as one of the leaders in the hospitality industry. l look forward to going to work every single day.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
security function contracted out
I have worked with Hyatt for 6 years and it is a wonderful place to work, learn and grow. i have had the pleasure of working in many different positions.
Pros
People
Cons
When I am at work, my smiling face is on because of my co-workers and guests. As long as I assist guests, I am in the right track and don't know how my shift end up that fast. Smile !
Pros
free pay day meal and discount parking rate
Cons
less hours shifts
I enjoyed my time working for our special guests with a good team of coworkers and a fun environment with good benefits. I enjoyed my time at the Hyatt.
I worked in the Banquet department and the wage with tips included was $30/hour which is pretty decent. Good meals are provided for each shift. The Banquet Manager is a great guy with a good sense of humour On the bad side there are some long time employees in the department who are arrogant and snide. Also there is only spotty availability of shifts so you need to find additional work elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No steady work available, some employees are unfriendly