IBM Employee Review

Stable but staid

17 August 2018
Working from Ireland, the day starts at normal business hours but often finished late due to time difference with West Coast of US. I learned many aspects of big company operations at IBM. Management is hierarchical and upper layers are often remote. The workplace culture, in spite of the big-company backdrop, can be innovative and open-minded. The hardest part of the job is working across global timelines. The most enjoyable is the many opportunities to learn new skills.
3.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Flexibility about work hours
Cons
Long hours.
16 November 2017
Same role
Wintel Administrator (Former Employee) - Dublin
IBM (GTS specifically) is now a place of maximum cost reduction, very little progression and a race to the bottom. Too much inefficient middle management creating interference, red tape and undue stress in the work place, plenty of buzz words and corporate speak, talking the right talk but they do not back it up. Unfortunately IBM used to be a great place to work and still has some great people but it has lost its shine and is no better that any other major outsourcing firm in the race to the bottom. Skeleton teams are now over worked and under appreciated. Which leads to regular fire fighting and more often that not you have to figure it out yourself with very little guidance. Further your expected to "Over" perform to gain any meaningful bonus and honest hard work is rarely recognized. The problem is IBM over sell their services and under deliver which invariably leads to the brunt being taken by the line staff. It's a pity about the short sighted approach and has taken a massive toll on IBM's once great name. Good job security with IBM but no a great long term prospect, go for the experience but don't stay too long.
Pros
You can get Good experience, good people, good job security
Cons
Hard to progress your salary, Red tape, iniffecient management. Left to fend for yourself.
20 October 2017
Same location
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) - Cork
Daily meeting to present shortly my work results, issues met, measures I took, intentions for next day Agile rules Disciplin respected, good group collaboration. The hardest part was when defects found proved hard to reproduce or intermittent, but had to be cought and documented. The most enjoyable was to find hidden issues or to propose usability improvements
13 November 2020
Order picker and packer (Former Employee) - Blanchardstown, County Dublin
I loved it here. I loved the different cultures I worked with and I just in general loved the overall company environment. I got along with everyone and found my manager very easy to talk to and learn from.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours but worth the pay check.
  1. Stable but staid