IBM Employee Reviews for Computer Operator

Amazing place to work! I started as an entry level technician and went on to become a Tier 3 technician and supervisor. Workplace culture is great, staff are encouraged to think out of the box and to run with their creative mindset.
Most of my co-workers are good people and I enjoy working with them. My management staff are always willing to give advice and to allow the employees to be creative.
Fun to work there, with a great team that took time to work and teach you at the same time. I enjoyed this company, which it was a permanent position and not a contract job.
Typical day at work remained same as it did prior to takeover from the Company that was now my account. The out of state (no face to face contact) was new & different but worked to an extent
IBM was a decent Co. to work for however they transitioned my Department from Verizon two years ago and now have sold our group to a Vendor, which is one of their Entities, I need to find a Co that values its employees and compensates accordingly.
Pros
WFH available
Cons
Sold our Group to a Vendor
I loved working at IBM. Although I worked the night shift for computer tape monitoring, it was a great entry level position. The staff was fun and the management was outstanding. The only reason I left was because I had another full time job and was enrolled in 23 credits at CU Boulder, and that was simply too much.
Worked at IBM Global service for 3 years. They lost business contract and moved to Colorado data center. Benefit include health, 401k, work life balance. Great company to work for.
Pros
Friend atmosphere to work.
Job was fast-paced but understandable for the type of work required. Opportunity for advancement depended on the department. Benefits were among one of the best offered.
My typical day at work was to make sure my old company was satisfied with all sla's. I worked for my previous company for 30 years then outsourced to new company. I enjoyed my 3 day 4 day work weeks.
Pros
I enjoy doing mainframe operations
My work on the job happy time and some hard time it was all good to get to no new people but the best thning that I learned how to work together .With other people and learing computer software.
Is a great place to work and build a Career! Teamwork and great opportunities ! IBM helps the employee with his career if is desired! Had an awesome experience there
Pros
Diversity, benefits
Always wanted to work for IBM. The job was challenging and stressful for some people but I took it as an opportunity to up my game. Since my position was outsourced by IBM I was contracted to complete the transition to IBM. My experience would define me as a generalist meaning I wear multiple hats. However, IBM insisted I work as a computer operator as defined by IBM. This was probably the hardest thing to do.
Pros
Worked from home.
Cons
Long hours.
Great company and environment good management stress free working on multiple hardware equipment printers , desktop computers . great co-workers and supervisors
Pros
Stress free
Cons
wonderfull enviroment to connect with all the countries and nationalities big improvement, of serious and responsible work, with really nice skills too preform it
Your only working for IBM as they figure out a way to offshore your job. Most IBM employees are taught to be like a robot which sours their real personality. This company acts as if they are family oriented and care but it's all a facade. This company has ruined hundreds of thousands of careers, caused stress which caused divorce, family issues and bankruptcy. Their only goal is the bottom dollar.
Pros
Prestigious company name once
Cons
Fake, Horrible management, Liars.
IBM was a great company up until the late 1990's. They were very concerned about employee's benefits and welfare. There is no job security since they have changed their business model. Employee's are very concerned about being laid off from work.
Pros
Good compensation company
Cons
Too many layoffs
Typical day, worked tickets to resolve job abends. Maintained procedure library and job monitoring tools. Learned, Control M, Manage Now and Service Now. Also learned more leadership skills. Management, immediate great but further up had no clue who you were. Hardest part of job, to be outsourced to India and train replacements. Most enjoyable, to be able to just do my job and not be micro-maganed.
Monitoring external companies mainframe computers is what i do all day. I have to run, edit, and fix batch jobs as well as callout technical groups to work on issues
Not a place to work if you want to advance. to compartmentalized. Off-shore take priority. Old equipment. No longer a place that puts employees first.
IBM has progressively moved toward cloud computing and away from traditional operations. They are also going in the direction of fewer permanent employees and more contract employees. This unfortunately has become a disturbing trend with a lot of companies today. During a typical day, computer operators handle multiple accounts with multiple applications and multiple systems. Permanent employees should not have to suffer by facing layoffs and being asked coming back as contractors just so IBM can increase it's profits by not having to pay benefits despite their profits being in the billions of dollars annually. This creates a very negative work environment and reduces employee loyalty.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Layoffs, outsourcing
The job is being outsourced to oversees with the people with very little knowledge. Management not involve with the day to day activities. Most of them work remotely.
  1. Computer Operator