IBM Employee Reviews

Big place. Good and bad.
IBM is a large company with operations all over the world. If you like to travel, take advantage of this and see the world. But, as a large company, if they decide to get out of a segment of the industry -- you might find yourself unemployed.
Aprendizaje
Aprendizaje de trabajo en cadena con muchísimos departamentos.
Typical US tech company
Digital sales organisation, in the midst of transitioning into Cloud Infrastructure & Platform Services provider, leveraging extensive portfolio of existing complimentary software & services as unique selling point to gain market share. Reasonably flexible in terms of Work/Life balance. Overly complex matrix organization.
Pros
Good education opportunities
Cons
Long hours expected
I would recommend IBM
IBM is a good place to work with lots of opportunities for people. IBM is focused on success and always looking at new challenges. A very strategic company.
Good work but no progression or freedom
Good work but no progression or freedom, just do your 9-5 for good pay and never stray from the same routine.

To progress you have to know the right person or have been there for 7/8 years+
hard to have a career
I was a contractor but it is really hard to get a career if you don't enter as an IBMr. Nothing was free in the canteen and I had no benefits (only free GP). I was a quoter (I think this department doesn't exist anymore)
Pros
8 hours work no longer free weekend
Cons
no canteen, no health insurance and pension
Productive and Motivational Leadership
I have worked as a Contractor within IBM, I was employed by Manpower Ireland Limited. I enjoyed my time in IBM and learned a lot about Management and Productivity.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Long Hours
General ok
I have been worked in IBM for 5 years. It is a good company. I have been working in different project. My core work is develop java applications. I enjoyed most of the time working here.
Old school but good technical staff
IBM is a large company, so room to move around. Going through a transformation, much needed, but not changing fast enough maybe. Good environment if you are technical. Basically, there is very little in the IT world that IBM does not have a solution for. Management are largely powerless at country level. A lot of bureaucracy as you might imagine.
Pros
Work like balance, freedom to learn, strong technical environment.
Cons
Poor management, no local empowerment
Positiva
Empresa dinâmica, flexível, inovadora. Salário de mercado.
During my 5 years in IBM I found it to be an ok experience.
8 hour days and cycle/shift work were fine in my opinion.

They do not make you permanent and keep the majority of workers on contracts would be there biggest problem.
Race to the bottom
IBM (GTS specifically) is now a place of maximum cost reduction, very little progression and a race to the bottom. Too much inefficient middle management creating interference, red tape and undue stress in the work place, plenty of buzz words and corporate speak, talking the right talk but they do not back it up. Unfortunately IBM used to be a great place to work and still has some great people but it has lost its shine and is no better that any other major outsourcing firm in the race to the bottom. Skeleton teams are now over worked and under appreciated. Which leads to regular fire fighting and more often that not you have to figure it out yourself with very little guidance. Further your expected to "Over" perform to gain any meaningful bonus and honest hard work is rarely recognized. The problem is IBM over sell their services and under deliver which invariably leads to the brunt being taken by the line staff. It's a pity about the short sighted approach and has taken a massive toll on IBM's once great name. Good job security with IBM but no a great long term prospect, go for the experience but don't stay too long.
Pros
You can get Good experience, good people, good job security
Cons
Hard to progress your salary, Red tape, iniffecient management. Left to fend for yourself.
A good place to work
My 8 years at IBM were filled with adventure everyday. Got great mentors and learned a lot. If you are passionate about your work then you'll always get ample of opportunities within IBM.
Pros
Amazing project, cutting edge technology
Productive and interesting
Daily meeting to present shortly my work results, issues met, measures I took, intentions for next day
Agile rules Disciplin respected, good group collaboration.

The hardest part was when defects found proved hard to reproduce or intermittent, but had to be cought and documented.

The most enjoyable was to find hidden issues or to propose usability improvements
Great company to work in
IBM is a great company to work in with fantastic carer prospects and the ability to learn and train is superb. I would recommend IBM to anyone starting or seasoned professional.
Good company to start in the sales area
IBM has many benefits for those who are starters in the sales area. The renewals department has many benefits like a good salary, good environment to work in and many tools to start your learning. You can also work remotely from time to time, which is a positive thing.

The cons of working in IBM is the location of the company, which is very far from the city center. Bus is not provided by the company and the private company that links the city center to the site is very poor quality. Another cons is that you have to pay for the food during lunch, which is a bit over expensive. No health insurance for sales people. To finish, it is a bit old-fashioned, so if you are looking for something fresh, maybe it's not the best fist.
Pros
good salary, comissions, work environment is great, suitable for beginners
Cons
No food provided, no transport provided, no health insurance, difficult to climb up the ladder
IBM is a good place to work.
Ibm is an interesting company. its a good place to work. theres a good salary, and the hours arent overly demanding. the management are quite good. its like every other multinational: a decent, if not incredible place to work. the treasury department can be a bit quiet, so if youre the talkative type you might want to consider that, but on the other hand the people who work there ae very easy to get on with.
Transition phase
I happened to start during a transition phase in which many seniors left the company, therefore at the moment we are struggling in acquiring the knowledge we need to comply to our internal process.
I am a contractor and have no benefits whatsoever. If I am sick I do not get paid and there aren't real chances of career progression at the moment.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary and Job insecurity
Worked in IBM for 17 years contracted to work for them by CPL. It was a very busy and people were very friendly and a good mix. My main responsibilities were diary management, expenses, travel, and back up for colleagues when on vacation.
Pros
Nice friendly environment
Cons
No chance of being made permanent
very hard for progression and bad work culture
There is no drive in the employees, hard to gain progression in IBM Ireland, Salary is not great. But it is easy work and you can gave a good life style.
Ibm
Not a bad place to work good facility good culture but not an exciting environment to work in, Great training and in depth knowledge into the sales through technology market.
Pros
Great place to gain sales experience
Cons
very poor job advancement opportunities