ICON plc

ICON plc Employee Reviews

Ireland27 reviews
ICON is a good company to work for. They have worldwide locations.
ICON is respected in their industry It is also one of top 100 companies in Ireland.
Pros
People
Cons
Long Hours
I was supported by each of the managers I worked with. I advanced quickly in my career and had most of the tools and training required. I did however often work long hours.
Productive & Ability to progress career.
Training given and updated accordingly.

Travel was a small part of the employment in this company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to work in a company that has strong values and ethics, ICON is not the place to go.

From leadership downwards, bullying and cronyism is encouraged and nurtured. The money makers are allowed act in whatever they want regardless of impact to rest of their teams. Don’t expect any support from HR, very weak organisation who will never stand by the employee.
Pros
Flexibility with working hours
Cons
Constantly busy, people working there are easy to get on with, good benefits and annual leave, option to work from home but this can depend on who your manager is
A great place to work. Management are excellent and fair and reinforce a positive workplace culture. Working within the CRO industry is an enjoyable area.
The work became monotonous after a while with no variation. Management had very poor interpersonal skills. A huge amount of people left the company and this caused a very negative atmosphere. There seemed to be no opportunity for advancement unless you wanted to do a completely different role altogether.

Worked with some great people in my team, who were very friendly and welcoming. My colleagues were very experienced and I learned a lot from them. Being able to work from home two days per week was a huge bonus, but for the wrong reasons, I simply didn't want to be in the office in the end due to how the place was being run.
Pros
Worked from home two days per week.
Cons
No career advancement opportunities.
Good CRO, dedicated to quality work. Good facilities in Dublin office. Salaries could be more competitive with other CROs/Pharma industry. Good job security
Helpful in progressing your career forward. However the salaries are not in line with the industry standards. Salary standards need to be addressed to ensure staff retention. It feels like as an employee you are just a number.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Salary poor
Working at Icon is fine for a short period of time. You gain alot of experience as it is a very busy work environment. In the long term there is poor/no incentive to progress your career. You must be in a position for 2 years before you can be promoted to another which creates a complacency which can be frustrating.
Pros:
Office

Fellow staff

Benefits and time off

Salary

Company vision and direction

Cons:

Career advancement

I.T resources

Speed of getting things done
Never a dull day, always something new to implement. Great HR team, hardworking colleagues. Unfortunately very few or no growth opportunities. Great benefits.
Pros
Workplace choir
Cons
No career progression
Icon is full of great people and can be very enjoyable. At the moment the company is maturing and there is a lack of career advancements opportunities and good pay increases are not common
Pros
Flexible hours, can work from home
Great experience in Client Relationship and Customer Service management. Plenty of opportunity for career development in a variety of areas. Good support for continuous learning.
La empresa en general es buena y tiene mucho margen para desarrollo.
El problema es que las ideas son generalmente tomadas por Sr. Managment y si bien son tenidas en cuenta y aplicadas, no hay reconocimiento otorgado por las mismas.

En general es un buen ambiente de trabajo y bueno para adquirir experiencia.
Pros
Ambiente laboral bueno, Flexibilidad de horarios
Cons
Cultura de managment
The problems that I saw when I started in the company were still there when I left. Staff morale and satisfaction levels tend to drop dramatically every so often, at which point management have some focus groups to make it look like something is being done.

Colleagues are very nice to work with and there is a good atmosphere amongst staff in general, however management need to adopt more of a "kick up kiss down" policy when it comes to workload and resources as under staffing is chronic.

For a company that makes so much money, it doesn't make sense as to why they should be so short, except for greed from the people at the top trying to make as many millions for themselves and their shareholders while impacting massively on the daily lives of their very dispensable employees.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Lack of training, poor management, poor pay, no compensation of hours
bottom line management
horrible management culture

THis company keeps buying other companies but spends little effort in actually integrating the companies
Pros
good package
Cons
horrible management culture
Overwork staff until something goes wrong then claim the staff are at fault.
Very predatory culture where accommodating staff are taken advantage of by management and any complaints lead to staff being forced out.

As per other reviews management are promoted to incompetence based on internal friendships and often deliberately block internal movement due to each department working on rock bottom numbers of staff.

Hire inexperienced staff that dont know how they should be treated/paid and replace them every year or two.
Pros
parking
Cons
workload, management
les aspects positifs etaient le fait de travailler avec des industries pharmaceutiques pour des essais cliniques.
L’environnement etait international et la langue de communication était l'Anglais.
As with all these surveys I can only give my opinion based on my line-of-sight and personal experience but for what its worth my time in Icon was characterised as follows:

On the plus side Icon

- is modern, progressive company, committed to training and skills enhancement.

- has dedicated, experienced middle managers who without exception I found excellent .

- has the best SMEs I have come across in my career.

- has good facilities and support.

- gives responsibility and corresponding authority to employees in as well balanced a measure as anywhere I have worked.

- Pay is in the upper end of the market norm.

- Positive outlook towards equality and fair in its treatment of people in general.

On the negative side

- don't expect to have much work/life balance - expectations are very high, working hours are very long. The company expected availability outside working hours on a regular basis.

- teams while very good, are the smallest per overall company population I've come across. If you're in management or development this can be very frustrating.

- Stress is constant. Can't emphasis this enough. Icon is rapidly growing but being essentially a contract service provider has to keep staff levels as tight as possible. These two factors lead to widespread over-work at all levels. Stress related issues were present though I can't say they were pervasive.

Summary

Overall if you want to get plenty of experience, training and build up your CV - then I can recommend. However I would suggest that you reflect on whether your lifestyle and family commitments can take
 - more...
Work life balance is good. Excellent facilities. Good Benifits. This company is a great place to work and there are opportunities for advancement depending on department
Pros
Subsidised Canteen, Health Insurence
Cons
Some weekend work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICON plc. Our community is ready to answer.
ICON plc Reviews by Location