Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from IKEA:

IKEA Employee Reviews in Draper, UT

Draper, UT33 reviews
If you wanted long term and don’t plan on advancing, I wouldn’t recommend it. It was fun, and relaxed for the most part, but customers were awful to work with. Ikea as a whole though is a great company, and they take care of you.
Pros
Fun environment cheap food nice co workers and management
Cons
customers are rude very repetitive
The company has amazing benefits. If this is a major factor for you in terms of looking for a job, I HIGHLY recommend IKEA. I do think, however, that if you are a full-time student (like I am), who doesn't need to work 40 hours a week, and needs a little more flexibility in your schedule, I would not recommend it.
Pros
Free food, coffee, benefits
Cons
People are mean, schedule is unpredictable and difficult to manage with school
There was a constant feeling of stress and under appreciation for most workers in my area. Worst customers I have ever had to deal with. Unreliable management and inconsistent breaks(often running 30-60 minutes behind schedule). Always overworked and under supported. The worst part however is the treatment of lower coworkers, completely overlooked when doing something right and punished for the smallest things and once the pandemic happened there were no precautions taken to care for the employees AT ALL. I’ve never worked somewhere as emotionally draining.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Late breaks, bad management, angry customers
If you want every promise broken do not work here!! Seriously it’s a terrible place!! Absolute nightmare with no one running any show and a new care of COVID every single day!!
Pros
Ok PTO program
Cons
Everything else
I really do enjoy working at IKEA. It's a great company to work for, with excellent benefits, inspiring culture, and friendly co-workers. The hardest part about working at IKEA as a co-worker is not really making a decent livable wage. Keep in mind it is a retail environment, so there just isn't much money to be made. On the bright side, IKEA does pay competitively in the retail sector, so you might start out making a few dollars more here than other retail stores.
It can be very stressful work at times but the coworkers and the actual company is incredible, they really do care about you and you always feel welcome.
The only problem working at IKEA was the management wasn't clear on the responsibility of the departments because they were undergoing a change in the company. Things weren't always clear.
It's a really good work environment for most jobs. Really bad for some (merchandising basics is one of the worst.) If you get most other job they keep you busy. Active Selling is the easiest cushiest job. Some days when customers are low you can chill out. But otherwise they do expect you to know the entire store and how every product works. That comes quickly with practice and active curiosity. The pay is AWFUL. It doesn't go up with rent. expect a 3% increase every year, while your rent goes up 3.5% every year. The longer you stay, the poorer you get. But the PTO and relaxed tardy counts are amazing...
IKEA is just like any typical retail company. They're not perfect and they tend to miss the mark a lot with treatment of their employees. They are currently going through their second organizational restructure in 4 years due to the ever changing retail climate so the current work environment is more volatile than most other large retailers.
Pros
Health benefits, dental, vision, 401k, and flexible work schedule for hourly employees
Cons
Lack of career advancement, incompetent and inexperienced managment, non competitive wages
When I first started working here i had a ton of fun and loved it. The coworkers were nice, our department had like 6 managers with a nearby office and it felt like things ran smoothly. Farther into my time there I started seeing that it was far from organized and even with all the management, they knew very little and did not care about our wellbeing at work. Favoritism is a thing. Not awful but it’s there. Sexism is a thing, because the customer service department is also part of doing carts, however they will choose the tallest strongest looking guys and have them do carts even though it’s not that hard of a job. Regular grocery stores will always have a couple guys out there, and even more for larger stores. At ikea on any day there is 1 guy for their HUGE lot and even if I asked if I could go help I was told no. Even when it was slow and I was doing nothing at all. I’m a girl. Idk. People take breaks at random times and lines are insanely long and they don’t let employees make decisions for anything as even small things need manager overrides which just annoys them. They don’t pay attention. They don’t care. And they’re dumb.
Pros
Discounted lunch and nice employee lounge
Cons
Bad management, sexism, and not enough room for growth
Great company and culture but it doesn’t translate to all aspects of the company. Benefits and co-worker empowerment are high, and the company puts a lot of effort towards work/life balance, especially compared to other retail environments. However, the job training and competence is lacking from top to bottom.
Pros
Staff subsidized meals, great PTO and benefits, discounts
Cons
On-the-job training, competence development
Worked at IKEA for over a year as a cashier. Fast paced workplace. Never felt bored, good insurance and decent hours of working. Never earlier than 9am
IKEA is a wonderful company and every store is different. The work culture is heavily dependent on the area. The Work/Life balance is dependent on management and co-worker relations. Like a lot of employers IKEA does promote, but there time in helps, sometimes over knowledge and skills.

The benefits are outstanding for the type of company IKEA is.

Learning the IKEA way is the hardest part of working for IKEA.
I found myself feeling lost among many, many other employees. There were so many different sections of the store that I rarely had an opportunity to get to know others. Communication between departments was not consistent. Managers were sometimes available by phone, but not the same ones all the time. It was just a big, big, impersonal place. At one point asked for additional training on the in-store computer system, but didn’t receive it.
Pros
Store was close to my home.
Cons
Impersonal work environment.
Loved working there, but no advancement opportunities in over 3 years. Lots of different jobs always available but be prepared to stay in one location for a long time.
My time at Ikea was very much enjoyed, the management was very helpful and wanted the employees to succeed. The benefits were very generous and the environment was enjoyable,
I still work at IKEA and i really like it, but I feel like management can focus more on training rather than throwing someone in a new department and hoping they catch on. I also wish there would be more communication between each department.
Pros
lower prices for lunch, 3 breaks per 8 hr shift, great benefits
Cons
NO communication, poor time management, little training
I have worked for IKEA for over 10 years. It has awesome benefits. I loved it up until recently. There was a Nation wide structural change with the company that has created silos between departments. Wages have been decreased amongst most of management. I work in Management in the commercial department (taskers) and the job is impossible; not enough staff, too few budgeted hours and too many tasks. My department (Merchandising Basics) currently sits in the lowest pay tier. It was originally thought that we would not be helping customers (because Active sellers would be doing that) and would only be doing tasks. This is not the case. The only difference between us and the Active sellers (who get paid more) is that we do all the tasks on top of helping customers. Low morale makes it hard for me to want to stay even after such a long career. If it weren’t for my staff, I would have left already. On the management end, my store is so obsessed with employment standards that it has created a micro-managing enviroment. It has become counter productive, making it a worse environment, not better.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Lowered pay, too many tasks, micro-managed by upper management.
Because of a new internal structure applied in mid-October, everyones been disgruntled, overworked, or overly micro-managed. Benifits are sparkling, but that doesn't make a good company.

Active sellers have it the worst. The active selling team leads are vicious at micro-managing their employees, calling you out if you are seconds off your schedule. They do not provide their workers with proper training, yet expect them to know every aspect of the store. Active sellers are thrown to the wolves, left to wander the store and answer questions about product they know nothing about.

Merchandisers are overworked, but are a close knit team. The merchandising managers are the most reputable and do everything they can for their team. This department is expected to do everything even when a task is not meant to be their responsibility. They do twice the work for little pay, and if something isn't done because there were too many tasks and not enough time, this is the team that gets the flack.

Prep and flow are also overworked, as the product becomes backed up at the dock. They maintain the stock of the entire store and must keep up with maintaining the self-serve warehouse. This position should be split into 2 departments, but is lumped together into one.

Upper management doesn't recognize the problems in the store and hide upstairs at their desks any chance they get. HR is non-existant, and nobody cares about the issues at hand unless you raise a huge stink about it.

This store use to have a fun atmosphere, great culture with a supportive team. Now it's turned toxic,
 - more...
Pros
Discounts, great benefits, lots of PTO
Cons
Low pay, bad culture, poor training, bad management
The team I worked with have been amazing, very well organized, friendly family type of feeling and they always look out for one another. Excellent People
A company with innovative business plan and a great culture. Somewhere that is great to work while going to school. The benefits are great as well as the people.