Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from IKEA:

IKEA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier301 reviews
Big place. Very Department focused you only work in your department and that is it, you don't move from one department to the other.Once you hired for one department you are stuck in that department. If you want to go to another department you must get hired for that department.
It was nice and pretty straight foward. Typical retail store. Benefits were the icing on the cake. I really couldn't complain honestly. Apply if you must
Working in ikea , taught me alot of things regarding canadian culture. In Ikea everyone work as a team and the staff support you and very helpful.Even if it is fast-paced environment the staff and managers really cooperate.
There are always customers at IKEA. There's barely any downtime so it's pretty exhausting. You'll look forward to your breaks, especially on the days where the clients are particularly rude. What makes up for it is the people you work with. Super sweet colleagues and managers. The workplace culture is inclusive and empowering (everyone is unionized).
Bullied out of work, lack of support with issues at work, double standards depending on ethnic background, forced out of a job due to manipulative tactics. Good luck.
I’m pretty lucky to have such a supportive management team. We’ve gone through a few different changes the last couple years. Some good but a lot not so much. We need to remember the valuable lessons our founder showed us and go forward.
Pros
For retail this is still one of the better companies.
Cons
We’ve lost a lot of fun opportunities.
My job on the IKEA checkouts was quite stressful but the management were extremely supportive and there was a collaborative, communal atmosphere in the workplace. Whenever I made a mistake a team leader was always on hand to offer advice and support in a way that was both reassuring and constructive. My experience at IKEA was very positive and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this role.
I worked in the bistro many years ago. The food department at that time wasn't fully developed to sync with the rest of the store (i.e. not accepting gift clubs).

If your manager isn't very smart, it will affect you. Trust me.

The company has an amazing culture for its employees (we were all called co-workers). Every Christmas, we were given gifts. One year we had tablets and another year we were given Toms gift cards. Every now and then the company would give us other things such as bottles or sustainable light bulbs.

I was only a part time employee but still received benefits such as paid time off, sick days, etc. Benefits were determined by the hour levels worked weekly (<20 hrs, 20-32, 32-40). In California, upon separation your benefits will be reimbursed to you.

The worst part about the company was dealing with extremely rude customers or lazy co-workers.
Pros
benefits, 15% discount
Cons
rude customers, sometimes things weren't in writing
It depends on the kind of person you are. The pay was good. I didn't like the atmosphere, management was horrible. Customers are insufferable. Flexible schedules.
All the staff have same uniform in Ikea.
U can call everyone with there name.

They are insisting not to tell them sir or madam.

They gave time to time briefing and training to staff.

Everyone is helping each other like a family
I loved working here! Very easy for schedules and the pay is very good for what cashiers have to do. Inclusive environment and there is a sense of managers wanting you to move up and do better.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible hours, Frequent Breaks
Cons
Long Shifts
Management is conniving and shady. Customers can be demanding, rude and entitled. Managers play favorites, promotions are not really based on merit. It can be a very high stress job for very little pay.
Pros
Staff cafeteria serves good food
Cons
Everything else
Team leaders are not respected to your private talks they let others know what you talk about with them. They need to be trained more about respected your privacy.
IKEA is a great company to work for. HR department second to none.
Job itself is a bit boring but progression opportunity is there, as well as the chance to move between departments.
Always make sure you are comfortable. On time for breaks, management is straight forward with you most of the time. Good lunches. The only problem is they are customer focused so if a customer makes a silly compliant you will be blamed for it. That is something to keep in mind.
Not the best place to work. No full time hours on checkouts so you can’t really live off Ikea’s pay alone. Wouldn’t go back there. One good thing was discount on food at breaks.
typical day at work was really fun, every shift was not predictable at all which made it enjoyable to go in every time. the company itself treats you very well.
IKEA is a great company! They follow your availability and the workers are fun and experience. I enjoyed working here for two summers. I am thinking about going back! Great working environment.
At the induction, they ask you what hours/days you can work, you specify, in my case no weekends as I have children, at the interview I was told I would have to work weekends. There were people there who didn't work weekends or at least had a Sunday off for church. I ended up leaving after a year because of my parental commitments. No one cared and after I left people were all awarded weekends off!
The culture is beautiful there, training was just as amazing, your cash team does the best with helping you out. The work is amazing and you learn about the system.
Weekends are always busy and weekdays vary. Fast paced. Hardest part of job is you may ring out people all day and will get tired. Best part is you will always be productive.