How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

IKEA Employee Reviews for New Home Sales Consultant

New Home Sales Consultant6 reviews
I love working there, mostly because of my coworkers, I like most of my leaders and I feel embraced at Ikea. Everyone works as a team and we were proud of being there. Best food, different options, 3 dollars meal . It was great don’t need to worry about bring my lunch from home. I will miss them a lot!
Pros
Best food, people, work place
Cons
Lack of consistency in your hours, hard to have to stand your whole shift.
Allow me to break my experience at IKEA down into the following categories.

The Pay and Benefits: The pay is fairly average for the type of job it falls under, starting at $13.10 an hour. My pay is fairly higher than the minimum due to my specialist position but I definitely work for that extra money. The benefits are great for a "part-time" job (I'll go more into that later) but you have to pay a fair amount out of pocket for decent coverage. Bonuses are non-existent and you get a yearly gift around Christmas time and a holiday party.

Work/Life Balance: This is my biggest complaint about the workplace. I entered the company as a part-timer (20-34 hours per week) but quickly learned that most weeks will comprise of 30+ hours and many times pushing past the 34 hour cap. This was especially prevalent since IKEA opened back up after the COVID-19 quarantine and I've been scheduled 5-6 days a week nearing 40 hours a week with very little flexibility. I've even attempted to inform management to stop giving me more than 34 hours a week and was given a "sorry but no" response despite being told that isn't allowed. Also, the schedules are extremely wild and unpredictable as your availability has very little flexibility and can jump from early morning shifts to late night shifts and heavily intrudes in your free time. Many of these issues would not apply to people that would take as many hours as they please and don't mind the erratic schedules. Overall, I would not recommend working here for students or people that prefer a more organized schedule.

Job Security/Advancement: I haven't
 - more...
Pros
Friendly coworkers, Laid back environment
Cons
Short breaks, Poor work/life balance, Management, Extreme disorganization
The IKEA Concept starts with the idea of providing a range of home furnishing products that are affordable to the many people, not just the few. It is achieved by combining function, quality, design and value - always with sustainability in mind. The IKEA Concept exists in every part of our company, from design, sourcing, packing and distributing through to our business model. Our aim is to help more people live a better life at home.

Doing it a different way. That’s how the IKEA home furnishings offer remains unique and how we try to make everyday life better for the many people.
Pros
Great benefits, fun co-workers, training opportunities
Cons
work hours fluctuate due to retail business needs
I like working with my coworkers and direct supervisors. My position can be boring at times, but it's made better by the other employees. I hardly see most of the upper management, and no one likes the new organizational changes the store has gone through, but personally it hasn't affected my position much. Pretty good for a large retail company. Leads have your back in customer kerfuffles.
Every day at IKEA was a chance to develop and advance. The culture at my location was really about self-motivation, and the management was fairly good at seeking this out.
Pros
great team, decent benefits, immersive culture
Cons
short breaks
They offer healthcare that included, eye, and dental. They also offer up to 3 months leave for personal and health reasons. You also earn paid time off.