Insomnia Coffee Company

Insomnia Coffee Company Employee Reviews

Ireland43 reviews

I enjoyed my time there

I worked in Insomnia for about 4 years as barista and supervisor, i have to say that I actually enjoyed my time there, some managers aren’t there best… a little too demanding for a minimum wage job, but some of my colleagues there were amazing and we became good friends very quickly. If you find the right team Insomnia is a company I can definitely recommend.

Above Average

It's overall not a bad Company, the perks of recent are not bad, the overall culture is pretty good, there are a lot of good people working there. The only things they can improve on are better pay conditions and career progression opportunities

Pros

As mentioned above

Cons

As mentioned above

You’re just a Number

Toxic company, their HR are full of toxic snob people. I once thought they were good people but once you need them, you will realise how toxic and silly behaviour they will push towards you.

Great coworkers, terrible management

I enjoyed the pacing and interactions that came with working with fellow baristas but issues surrounding management were frequent and rarely handled well. E.g adjusting shifts, management under assisting during shifts/training, even abusive treatment of staff verbally. Little concern from upper management, non competitive pay rates and unincentivised progression routes.

Is good for experience

Not long term career, I worked in a franchise and all the owner cares is just money. They don't know how to appreciate experienced staff. Not environmental friendly either

Pros

Not much

Understaffed and overworked

Training is bare minimum, even with no coffee experience. Hours are not consistent week to week. Management is poor, company does not appreciate you. Many times left on your own with multiple things to do, from making multiple different coffees and milkshakes, being on the till, preparing food, clearing tables.

Negative work environment

Bad man management, difficult co workers, overworked staff, the amount of work expected from staff members is not reasonable. Customers have no patience with staff shortage, and management blame this on staffs lack of skills and talent. I've worked in many cafes, but this one takes the cake for poor treatment of staff, and the disciplinary procedures against staff are hopeless, avoid this job (and avoid hospitality in general, the workload has shot through the roof due to lack of staff and you will not get any credit for putting in the extra work)

Pros

Lunch included, sociable hours

Cons

Huge workload, negative work environment

Fun but hours are not reliable. Barista Training provided. Relaxed

The company gives everyone minimum contract hours that are usually 7 hours or 14 hours. They can roster you 40 hours if they need but if you want to increase your hours you are not allowed/have to accommodate how busy they are. You don’t need to have coffee experience to work here, on the job barista training is provided

Pros

Free coffee, free lunches, nice ambiance, weekly pay

Cons

Bad monetary compensation, unreliable hours

Good job if you are starting as a barista

Depending on the store it can be really busy and stressful, but most stores have great managers that have your back. Training can be hard, but you will have great standards as a barista. Free food and free coffee is a plus.

Fun workplace with flexible shifts

It's a fun and busy place to work with a focus on coffee and customer service. Working hours are reasonable - some early starts but no late evenings. Sometimes have to work a cover shift and this can be frustrating when you have plans.

Pros

Free lunch and free beverages

Cons

rostering can be a bit inconsistent at times

Busy and tiring

Started off early 2020 it was great, nice hours and staff really nice. Didn’t work for 5 months due to Covid even though the cafe was open. They didn’t call me at all and wouldn’t tell me when I could get my job back. It was all very vague and unsure. We hired another staff member for our busy season and they are unreliable and not showing up for shifts. You are left alone to deal with this while serving customers and making coffee and cleaning and expected to cover shifts without being asked beforehand if this suits you. Rosters are changed frequently without being asked, leaving you unable to make plans and appointments in case you’re made work. A lot of responsibilities are placed on workers that aren’t supervisors or managers, no extra pay for doing more work. The work itself is hard and tiring and can get very stressful when busy while you are expected to keep everything clean. Management is unorganized and there is no help from higher management from what I can see. The hours are fine, very early mornings but closes at 5. Some days you work 10 hour shifts and only get 30 minutes break at MOST. Some days it’s too busy and understaffed you cannot take a break and work 9/10 hours without stopping. If you need a part time job just to get by it’s fine but would not recommend full time work. Free lunch and coffees which is good. Overall, it’s fine if you need a job to get by but full time work is hard and a lot expected of you for minimum wage.

Pros

Free lunch and coffee, closes early enough

Cons

Long shifts, short to no breaks, bad management and frequent roster changes

Not fair

I left this job as I wasn’t been giving enough hours. A week after leaving they’re advertising this position for 2 new employees. They never encouraged me to stay or offered me more hours. Every time I needed to contact HR nobody would answer. I never got my requested days off the first or second time I requested them. Overall I feel as though the management is very unfair. If you’re content with working for a low price, not being treated fairly and having your efforts go unnoticed then this job is perfect for you.

Pros

Customers

Cons

Everything else mainly management

Family

Family,friendly, fun, helpful, kind,love working in Insomnia because I am a people person. Money could be more for what I do but then again money isn't everything, happiness is. 😊

Pros

Free lunch and coffee

Cons

Money

Treat staff awfully

I worked there for 6 months. I was given anything between 6 to 10 hour shifts 6 days a week. I was paid 300 and never paid for overtime. I have a 3 year old daughter who has health issues and my job was threatened because I couldn’t come to work as she had a bad turn and I needed to take her to hospital. My shifts were CONSTANTLY changed without notice the most notice I’d get would be around 6 hours. It’s not a job I enjoyed.

Such a Place to Work

It's an amazing place to work. Wonderful environment and staff. The company provides proper training and the manager makes you feel comfortable and aslo helps you a lot!

Productive and Fun work place

I enjoyed working at Insomnia Coffee Company in Shannon, County Clare. The staff and management were fantastic and the atmosphere was always high. My reason for leaving insomnia was simply due to the salary as I was only available to do weekends. Any after college hours did not suit at the time resulting in me relocating jobs. I would very happily work in Insomnia Shannon again given the opportunity.

Busy and fun company

My time at insomnia was possibly my most enjoyable. The co workers along with the manager where all so lovely. The job itself was really fun to carry out as it made us interact with the customers.

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work with great career progression opportunities within the company. Supervisory pay could be better due to the extra workload and responsibilities but other than that its a great place and company to work for.

28 January 2020
Hi there, Thanks for your review, we’re delighted to hear such positive feedback and we are always looking for ways to improve our business. If you would like to discuss your feedback in further detail, could you get in touch via email and we’ll give you a call? Thanks, internalcareers@insomnia.ie

Ups and Downs

My colleagues were great people but the head management is out of touch with the staff with a high staff turn over as they don't care about competitive salaries from over companies. Also depending on what shop you work in the manager can make the job horrible without repercussions

28 January 2020
Hi there, I’m sorry to read about your poor experience while working with Insomnia. I’d like an opportunity to chat to you about your experience and see if there are ways that we can further improve. Please get in touch and let us know the best way to reach you: internalcareers@insomnia.ie

Insomnia

I really enjoyed working with insomnia its a great company and even the staff and customers are so friendly and so kind, i am a people person who gets on with everyone i have get customer skills. I learned how to make coffee such as lattes, flat whites and i was showning how to do order froms and stock taking.

Fun and Professional

Very fun environment to work in. Flexible with hours once you give notice to your Manager, Head Office are very approachable if you need to talk to them about any matter.

Pros

Free Lunches, Flexible working hours, Fun working environment

Cons

Hourly rate is the only negative

28 January 2020

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insomnia Coffee Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement