Irish Cancer Society

Irish Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Lovely place to work, I was going through some life changing issues at the time so didnt realise the opportunity I was getting, one of the nicest places to work
It was a lively atmosphere, the staff are very nice to the customers, i learned many communication skills, as well as retail sales techniques. Probably the hardest part of the job was putting the clothes on the racks, it was hard to tell which had to go where, it was color co-ordinate but there were some clothes that had multiple colors on them so it had hard to tell where they would go. As for the most enjoyable part of the job, it would be doing the steaming, ironing the clothes, getting all the creases out of the clothes, i had a staff member with me when i was doing it, so i had some company t talk to.
I was here through a scheme so the wages were not paid by the Irish Cancer Society, I already had many years retail experience before my part-time placement in the mallow branch, and was used to a more faster pace retail environment, but for a small town store it always managed to reach targets.
I was a volunteer and thoroughly enjoyed my time. I gained many new skills while working here and was able to show my creative side when dressing the windows.
A great company Good annual study day. I enjoyed my time with them. Paid on time always. Pay rates explained very well. Good communication. Good follow up from office staff.
Brilliant place to work. The staff are very helpful and fun to work with. Personally its a great place to work if you want to learn some valuable experience with till-use and customer service.
o had 2 weeks work experience i was payed by the programme i make part of and i had a nice time with my managers that learned me a lot of new things. Useful for my future
everyday at 9 i would come in and work on the shop floor. i would arrange clothes into correct sizes , make sure that products are in their right places and answer customers questions. by working there i improved on my communication skills
I enjoyed this work for the 2 weeks that I was there but I did it for work experience in school so I can't say how good it would have been for a long period of time.
Great place to work at plus management and other volunteers. Much appreciated. You have to have a sense of humour in this environment. Good communicator. Reliable. Friendly. Down to earth sort of person to volunteer here.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Volunteering. No salary.
Ambiente agradável mas sem possibilidade de crescimento.
I was there for 5 days for work experience and for those 5 days i enjoyed working with others and it was a fun exxperience, everyone was friendly. I helped clean, organise, tag clothes, steam clothes, size clothing etc and i had no problem doing the work. everyone was helpful if i did have questions, they would gladly answer and the work environment was very good.
Is the environment where I felt more the goodness of the workers.
The staff members were very welcoming of me and helped me get settled very quickly. They were always sure to let me know that i could ask for assistance with any little job and were very polite in assisting me.
Great job to get work experience in Ireland for foreigners and more contact with local the work culture. I'd learned how to deal with the Irish customer and with customers from other countries too.
Pros
Easy admission of volunteers
Cons
As a ty student I needed to do voluntary work, so I decided to go to the Irish Cnacer Society charity shop. It’s quite boring and I don’t enjoy it. But it is for charity so... Not a big fan of the Assistant manager. Better suited for older people looking for a hobbie or something to do. Most volunteers are older.
Pros
Your doing good for charity
Cons
Tiring, boring and not much to do
It was a good experience and my colleagues made it a fun time too. It was a great choice as work experience as i learned alot about work life too. It prepared me for work.
I topical day in my work is very dynamic and interactive. I always learn a lot about how to deal with the customers. I am a people person and I love to do customer service and I think that is fun to have different people all the time around you. The hardest part is the manual handling that is exhausting.
Pros
Work for a cause
Cons
Lift heavvy weight
a nice place to work with friendly people and lovely customers, this place got mad busy at times but I managed to get through it. I worked with great people my boss at the time was brilliant I couldn't have asked for better
Pros
staff
Cons
starting before your time and not being paid too
Most days are spent picking up clothes from the floor dues to customers just trowing things with out any consideration. I've learned to operate a till do cash counting for morning float. The manager i considered a role model for me she has lit a desire in me to have a career in retail. All of the staff are great i have set up a once a month Thursday night bar outing for the staff and even tho i no longer work there the night still happens i go to catch up when i can as i consider most of the staff i met my friends. I say most because the shop gets volunteers so i don't know a lot of the new staff. For me personally now that i look back on it the hardest part was picking what i was gonna have for lunch each day. It was a joy to work there and my favorite part was on the till during slow times just talking to customers and making them feel welcome.
Pros
one hour lunch, nice co-workers
Cons
too repetitive
I personally work there as a volunteer, so I cannot comment on salary. However, I really enjoy working with them. I work at the Charity Shop in Drogheda, together with some really pleasant people. The shop sells second-hand clothing, and my job consists of preparing these garments for sale by tagging and steaming them, and hanging them in the shop. While the job does require some stamina, it is never too exhausting and does not get boring.
Pros
Nice and diversified atmosphere
Cons
Slightly physically taxing