J D Wetherspoon PLC
Coronavirus update
Information from J D Wetherspoon PLC:

J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Ireland19 reviews
a typical day would be serving alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages and food. the staff make your day go by a lot easier the hardest part of the job was only when it got really busy and short on staff
Pros
discount meals and drinks
Cons
long hours mangers arnt great
I didn’t like working here because I always felt I was worked way more than I should have been, I felt like a slave and I don’t feel the pay is enough
Pros
Staff are friendly
Cons
Food, pay, managers, kitchen is too small, the alarm always going off at main door
I worked in The Silver Penny in Dublin. I started as this bar first opened. It seemed very promising at first until a few weeks in. Management are unhelpful and never knows what is happening in their own pub. Staff members are under stress and often fight and bicker with each other. This leaves an awful environment when working there. The job works you to the bone, for just above minimum wage.
I would never recommend this job to anybody. I left after about 3 months of working there and there were not many people left who had started with me. The high staff turnover rate says it all.

The long hours are awful. You are expected to start at 4 pm and work till close, which is usually about 2/3 am. Management do not take into consideration other jobs or college.

It's great to get bar experience and floor experience, however apart from that I see no benefit from working there.
Run like an uptight business office and not like any other pub in Ireland. Not enough staff for the job required and no bouncers for employee safety. Not a good bar to work in
Overall this company is good to work for. There is so much opportunity to advance in a short amount of time. I had no experience starting off but was given full training, second to none, it was hands down the best training I have seen! Management in my pub could be a bit better, I feel problems should be dealt with more promptly instead of being left on the long finger.
i did like it was a good Job to work at i learned a few things i never taught i would never learn i got on good with the kitchen staff i did kitchen porter and did microwave cooking
It's a great place to work for, only issue I had was overnights, I thought I could handle it but it left me drained and excused, thought I could handle overnights but it left me like a zombie most days didn't sleep as much as I should.

So if your not a night worker this isn't for you, health is more important
Pros
Money good, 50% staff discount on meals while working
Cons
long over night hours
When first joining JDW as a Duty Manager, I was promised so much but was given so little in terms of benefits. Targets are hard nearing impossible to meet in Summer months, you will be severely understaffed and sometimes denied basic statutory rights such as taking breaks. Depending on what pub you are placed depends on your experience with the company but be prepared wherever you are placed to work unsociable hours and work over your contractual hours. If on Pay per hour or on contract, make sure to record these hours so you get paid for them in full. I am still chasing hours from March 2019 which the company are stating they have no record of me working.
Pros
Managers Feeding, the staff you work with are usually a good team
Cons
Long Hours, Unsociable hours
Fun and great staff, great work environment. Managers understand the employees and are really friendly. All of the staff is really friendly and the wages are ok
Pros
Discounts in all pubs across Ireland and UK
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at J D Wetherspoon PLC?
Work here involves making sure customers are served with food and drinks in a timely and mannerly fashion. I learned skills such as time management, working as a team and customer care. the management team are welcoming, hard working and will give you the training you need to work efficiently in a busy bar environment.
Nobody ever wants to be on the same page, the managers are always fighting internally and can never get along. Most staff are new and don’t know what they’re doing as the place is so different from every other pub.

Door staff need to be replaced, they’re constantly found asleep in their cars or watching Netflix when they’re supposed to be on the door so you can’t feel safe working here.
Pros
50% discount on shift, 20% off shift (including alcohol)
Cons
Everything else.
I enjoyed to work to that company, managers was very friendly and helpful, Often staffs have to complete or upgrade training to know how to proceed your role in safe way.
Pros
Bonus and staff discount
Cons
Como é uma empresa que emprega funcionários novos (muitos no primeiro emprego), o preparo dos funcionários é muito importante. O treinamento (tanto online quanto presencial) oferecido pela empresa prepara o funcionário muito bem. Cultura de empresa excelente, valorizando o coleguismo e a cooperação.
I learned how to deal with different challeging situations.
A tipical daily work was 1 hour of almost nothing to do and after that 7-10 hours non-stop.
Pros
Half-prize lunches and well-paid extra hours
Cons
A typical day at work included waiting tables, bartending and general cleaning at the end of each shift.
I gained essential customer service experience from my time spent with the company.

Management struggled to control busy periods and often ignored staff requests although many are young and inexperienced .

Its a good workplace for students mainly because it coincides with education and has plenty of young staff.

Being understaffed during closing shifts leading to staying back till 3/4 am .

Definitely working with people of the same age .
Pros
discounted lunch
Cons
unsociable hours
nice place to work part-time or for the summer. young staff so there is a good social aspect. some issues with management but that's to be expected. can get as many hours as you want
Pros
discounts, young and social colleagues, lots of shifts available
Cons
unsocial hours, poor management
Wage is very low and hours are always indefinite, will be sent home early from a shift multiple times, The employees are lovely people to work with however it's not a nice pub or company to work for, Staff is treated very poorly.
Pros
50% discount lunch
Cons
Terrible wage
The staff are the life blood of jdw the management are terrible and they only offer o hour contacands witch is a fav game if they like you they will give you hours if not or you annoy them they will cut your hours complete
Pros
Half price food on shift
Cons
O hour contract and
The hours are horrible, you never know your shift rotation so cant plan anything in advance. The salary is low. The management can be very biased. However the work itself is not bad at all.