J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 17 reviews matching the search See all 2,544 reviews
Worst place I have worked, avoid
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  The Silver Penny, Dublin14 January 2020
I worked in The Silver Penny in Dublin. I started as this bar first opened. It seemed very promising at first until a few weeks in. Management are unhelpful and never knows what is happening in their own pub. Staff members are under stress and often fight and bicker with each other. This leaves an awful environment when working there. The job works you to the bone, for just above minimum wage.
I would never recommend this job to anybody. I left after about 3 months of working there and there were not many people left who had started with me. The high staff turnover rate says it all.
The long hours are awful. You are expected to start at 4 pm and work till close, which is usually about 2/3 am. Management do not take into consideration other jobs or college.
It's great to get bar experience and floor experience, however apart from that I see no benefit from working there.
Dont work in an English pub
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin23 December 2019
Run like an uptight business office and not like any other pub in Ireland. Not enough staff for the job required and no bouncers for employee safety. Not a good bar to work in
good
Kitchen Assistant/Porter (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 November 2019
i did like it was a good Job to work at i learned a few things i never taught i would never learn i got on good with the kitchen staff i did kitchen porter and did microwave cooking
You get what you go for
Cleaner/Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 August 2019
It's a great place to work for, only issue I had was overnights, I thought I could handle it but it left me drained and excused, thought I could handle overnights but it left me like a zombie most days didn't sleep as much as I should.

So if your not a night worker this isn't for you, health is more important
Pros
Money good, 50% staff discount on meals while working
Cons
long over night hours
Over worked, Understaffed and Unsociable Hours
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 August 2019
When first joining JDW as a Duty Manager, I was promised so much but was given so little in terms of benefits. Targets are hard nearing impossible to meet in Summer months, you will be severely understaffed and sometimes denied basic statutory rights such as taking breaks. Depending on what pub you are placed depends on your experience with the company but be prepared wherever you are placed to work unsociable hours and work over your contractual hours. If on Pay per hour or on contract, make sure to record these hours so you get paid for them in full. I am still chasing hours from March 2019 which the company are stating they have no record of me working.
Pros
Managers Feeding, the staff you work with are usually a good team
Cons
Long Hours, Unsociable hours
Great workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin3 June 2019
Fun and great staff, great work environment. Managers understand the employees and are really friendly. All of the staff is really friendly and the wages are ok
Pros
Discounts in all pubs across Ireland and UK
Productive and energetic workplace
Bar staff - Front of House (Former Employee) –  Dublin14 March 2019
Work here involves making sure customers are served with food and drinks in a timely and mannerly fashion. I learned skills such as time management, working as a team and customer care. the management team are welcoming, hard working and will give you the training you need to work efficiently in a busy bar environment.
Staff disgagreements
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 January 2019
Nobody ever wants to be on the same page, the managers are always fighting internally and can never get along. Most staff are new and don’t know what they’re doing as the place is so different from every other pub.

Door staff need to be replaced, they’re constantly found asleep in their cars or watching Netflix when they’re supposed to be on the door so you can’t feel safe working here.
Pros
50% discount on shift, 20% off shift (including alcohol)
Cons
Everything else.
Productive, cool place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cork7 January 2019
I enjoyed to work to that company, managers was very friendly and helpful, Often staffs have to complete or upgrade training to know how to proceed your role in safe way.
Pros
Bonus and staff discount
Cons
Empresa internacional que honra a cultura Inglesa
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Irlanda26 October 2018
Como é uma empresa que emprega funcionários novos (muitos no primeiro emprego), o preparo dos funcionários é muito importante. O treinamento (tanto online quanto presencial) oferecido pela empresa prepara o funcionário muito bem. Cultura de empresa excelente, valorizando o coleguismo e a cooperação.
Productive and very active workplace
KITCHEN PORTER (Former Employee) –  Cork29 June 2018
I learned how to deal with different challeging situations.
A tipical daily work was 1 hour of almost nothing to do and after that 7-10 hours non-stop.
Pros
Half-prize lunches and well-paid extra hours
Unscociable job.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin7 January 2018
A typical day at work included waiting tables, bartending and general cleaning at the end of each shift.
I gained essential customer service experience from my time spent with the company.
Management struggled to control busy periods and often ignored staff requests although many are young and inexperienced .
Its a good workplace for students mainly because it coincides with education and has plenty of young staff.
Being understaffed during closing shifts leading to staying back till 3/4 am .
Definitely working with people of the same age .
Pros
discounted lunch
Cons
unsociable hours
nice colleagues
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin9 April 2017
nice place to work part-time or for the summer. young staff so there is a good social aspect. some issues with management but that's to be expected. can get as many hours as you want
Pros
discounts, young and social colleagues, lots of shifts available
Cons
unsocial hours, poor management
Unsatisfying
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Old borough, Swords18 August 2016
Wage is very low and hours are always indefinite, will be sent home early from a shift multiple times, The employees are lovely people to work with however it's not a nice pub or company to work for, Staff is treated very poorly.
Pros
50% discount lunch
Cons
Terrible wage
Fun workplace for staff
The staff are the life blood of jdw the management are terrible and they only offer o hour contacands witch is a fav game if they like you they will give you hours if not or you annoy them they will cut your hours complete
Pros
Half price food on shift
Cons
O hour contract and
No work/Life Balance
Bar Team Leader (Former Employee) –  IE9 June 2016
The hours are horrible, you never know your shift rotation so cant plan anything in advance. The salary is low. The management can be very biased. However the work itself is not bad at all.