James Whelan Butchers

James Whelan Butchers Employee Reviews

Ireland30 reviews

Always evolving, fast paced family business

It's great to be part of a team in James whelan butchers who would all go the extra mile to help one and other. The business has a great family feel to it and is constantly evolving and looking for ways to do things better. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities to get on for anyone who has the desire to climb the ladder no matter what your background is.

Pros

Staff discount, Great atmosphere in the shop, opportunities to get on with new shops opening every year

Fast paced and very enjoyable

Managers very helpful, very fast paced environment but enjoyable every day. Colleagues are brilliant and very friendly. Overall a nice place to work.

Pros

Good holidays and training provided

Cons

Pay could be slightly better

Tough work

Place will drain you Higher ups are so disconnected with there shops and store managers Basically half the staff in some shops doing 45hrs a week you would think is enough but your doing double the work and there is only half the staff Standards get lost as you never have enough staff leads to angry staff members,arguments,resentment,favouritism among staff,favouritism with shops so if your shop struggles and your not in this bracket of favouritism you will be forgotten about,hiring staff in management positions who basically only come in and make it worse as they aren't willing to learn all aspects of the business and think they are better then others,I could go on all day but don't believe the speech they spin at the interview Only plus there was a good few who would want the best for you but it was rare

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours, no social life

Not the best place to learn to be a butcher

At the start it was brilliant but as time wore on you got sucked into the drama that goes on every day. All the staff were brilliant but as in each job the higher ups are let’s say not the best people to deal with. People who have worked there will know what I mean. The culture portrayed is family. Could nt be further from the truth. No one looks out for each other. It’s all he said or she said. Totally two faced environment which is actually encouraged by the suits.

Pros

Wages. Lovely staff.

Cons

Don’t have time for this part.

One Big Family

Had a great time working here in the deli side of the operation which was constantly busy but the work never got to be too much as we worked well as a team from upper management right down through the ranks. When ever I needed help or any extra training it was never an issue to ask senior staff. Absolutely blown away by the high standard of the product and the attention to detail was like no other.

Pros

Loads of opportunity to progress through the company, if needed the option to transfer to another site was available

Always kept busy. Fun team to be apart off

Working in a fantastic team, management are very fsir and always try to help you if you have a problem. I left for a while and was welcomed back like I had never left.

Pros

Good discount on shopping

Cons

Longish hours

Poor management

Never happyManager totally lack of experience and skillsVery long working hours, avoid this placeAlways looking for someone to blame Very good Butcher's team work 😀😀

Cons

No place to rest on brake you stand on the back of shop or on the front

Official response from James Whelan Butchers

11 October 2021
I'm sorry to hear that was your experience, if you would like to discuss this further please contact us.

Busy friendly work place

Very busy workplace, somethings different everyday. There is always someone around to help and advise as you learn how to do your job. People are lovely to work with.

Always learning

One of the best things about James Whelan Butchers is you learn something new everyday. No matter how many years you have been in the industry, this is butchery and retail on a whole different level. Very much a family feel to the business, with a huge focus on people and product. Everything is a team effort. They even have their own communications platform so all communications in the business reach every single person directly.

Pros

Tasting and reviewing amazing food! Company discount. Working for a company you are proud of.

Productive, fast paced, learning environment

James Whelan's Butchers is a fantastic place to work. No day is the same and I am always surrounded with support if needed. The culture of the company shines through each day, excelling to provide premium quality products while investing in and nurturing their people.

I have been working for James's Whelans in Co. Kildare for 1.5 years now and I have to say, love it...I never stop learning, and progression is there if you want it!#proudtoworkforjwb!

Fantastic workplace with Fantastic people

James Whelan Butchers is a great place to work. I am surrounded by great people which makes each day a pleasure to go to work. The work is very challenging, everyday presents new challenges but this is also very rewarding and is what drives me each day to be successful. In the warehouse it is very fast paced with various different tasks to be done. The team here is diverse and fantastic and all work to help one another.It is also very exciting times as the company is growing rapidly and has such fantastic plans for the future with new store openings and opportunities.

Pros

Employee discount is amazing, You are a valued member of the team, Endless opportunities, Working for and with great people

Productive and busy workplace

I started in James Whelan's as a deli assistant a year ago, full training on all food prep and Haccp in a fast paced team where every day is different, I was then given the opportunity to train as a craft butcher and currently am attending college while up-skilling on the butchers counter. This is a great place to work with a fantastic diverse group. Amazing opportunities to grow and progress if you work hard. Also great to work with the best produce every day.

I've worked in Jwb for a few years and can honestly say it's a great company to work for. The quality of the products and service offered are second to none. The promotional opportunities are endless for those willing to put the work in.The work is hard but very satisfying with a sense of achievement and pride in what you do, the art of butchery was a dying trade but Whelans are bringing it back to life with a drive for excellence and a commitment to train the next generation of butchers.As a Store Manager it is great to be able to make decisions for the benefit of the store and my team and to be fully supported by Senior Management in every way.

Pros

Proper Butchery, Always something new to learn, Great product quality

Cons

Not enough time in the day

Busy friendly great team

Busy place but very easy to make friends a real sense of care and attention to everthing. You can really understand why they are so highly rated. Loads of space to progress

Pros

Every day is different

Benefits

Fast pace and fun place to work

If you are in a butchering trade or have interest in butchering and a food buisnes in general, then Pat Whelan is a man you need to meet and work with.I had 16 years of experience in butchering trade prior to working in Whelans Butchers, and I am currently with James Whelans since 2018 and in a last 3 years I can say I have learned as much about butchering as I did in previous 16 years.Good place to progress constantly expanding and has a great room for progression

Pros

Career progression

Fast paced, busy shop with great career opportunities.

I have been working in James Whelan Butchers for a few years now. I have worked in 3 shops across Dublin in my time here and learned something new everywhere I have been. The experienced butchers are great lads to learn from. They go above and beyond if you show an interest in learning. The biggest difference I have seen in this company compared to the previous shops I have worked in has to be the quality of the products we are working with. There’s a great saying here “treat your customer as your mother”, I keep this in my mind every shift. You can be proud to serve the customers with the freshest meat.

Pros

Busy, Craic with co-workers, Day flys by.

Cons

No discount

Fast paced with great team

I joined James Whelans as an apprentice and was shown the same level of respect as all levels within the business.It is a busy shop with a lot going on but I found it very enjoyable as even through the busy days they take the time to show you what to do.You can learn as much as you want to learn as they are happy to teach people who want to learn.I had a great time working for this company and would happily recommend to my friends

Pros

Working with great people

Cons

Really busy shop

Fulfilling and plenty of opportunities to progress and learn

It's high standard work and very enjoyable. Always learning, Great characters and fun Atmosphere. Plenty of opportunities for this always growing company. A great experience.

Pros

Fulfilling work. Days are fast and enjoyable.

Cons

Busy place to work but you can learn alot

Very fast paced with lots of different tasks but if you're willing to learn they are willing to teach you. Teams are just that and people will always help you out if you need it.

Pros

Fantastic Food and your ideas are listened to

Cons

The day is sometimes not long enough!

Fantastic Culture and Teamwork

I have found James Whelan Butchers a great place to work.Since I started, I have learned so much and keep learning more every week.The work itself can be challenging but is very rewarding. Attention to detail and quality, along with fantastic customer service, provide the basis for success in my role. I have learned so much in such a short time.The culture is fantastic and offers people an environment in which to grow and advance within the company.At present the company is expanding and have planned future store openings in the very near future. I'm looking forward to advancing as the company grows.

Pros

Personal and professional advancement, Working collaboratively with different teams and management, Huge opportunities for career advancement, Your opinions and ideas are valued and taken on board

Cons

Being surrounded by mouth watering food all day long!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Whelan Butchers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement