Killarney Plaza Hotel & Spa

Killarney Plaza Hotel & Spa Employee Reviews

Ireland4 reviews
Avoid!
What started as a seemingly great place turned into a lot of management nonsense. The 2nd manager hired during my time was a misogynist only telling the girls to do work, having a laugh with the lads, yelling at staff from across the place in front of customers. The main manager has been there 2 years and doesn't know what she is doing, management-wise (it's quite obvious she's never managed anywhere before, nevermind a fast-paced environment).

Too many staff on, yet no one getting their breaks on time. I was regularly rostered for 9 hours, but would be told to stay an extra hour or more. Breaks for the over-8-hour shifts are supposed to be an hour, but good luck getting that. Always told I could have the second half-hour later...which never happened. Some shifts would be til 2 or 3am and then have to return at 10am the next day. I was told "that's the industry", which I laugh at having worked in this industry for the last 10 years.

The managers watch the cctv and phone you to yell at you, no matter what you're doing. Always pulling you up on the slightest mistake, but NEVER commending those of us who work hard.

Tips were poorly distributed. Managers should NOT get tips!!!!

Free lunches, but the canteen is a depressing place with no wifi, nor mobile service.

The other staff are lovely, however. The ONLY highlight of the place.

Don't bother unless absolutely desperate!
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
No staff parking, long hours without proper rest time, poor management, poor rostering.
Unorganised
Poor communication, lack of training, cutting the hours, changing the staff very regularly, no flexible working hours. Profit focused company... Free lunch
Pros
Free lunchey
Cons
all above
There are better places to work in Killarney.
I worked here for over two years. At the start it was OK. We felt almost like a family in there and although the job environment but different to what I was used to, it was enjoyable to work there. But then things fell apart when managers started leaving and new ones came in. In my last year to 6 months, I came home crying with the stress of the place. The only reason it took me so long to leave was because of the waiting and bar staff and the chefs. The current management fail to recognise when someone does a good job. They will ALWAYS pull you on if you've done something wrong but never award you when you've done great work. This sounds like an attack but it's the truth and I'm sure many of the current staff there would agree. Do yourself a favour and avoid. Much better hotels in the Killarney area.
me so long
Pros
The Chefs, Waiting/Bar Staff
Cons
Management, Split Shifts, Tips, Failure to Recognise Good Work
Fast paced, popular with CIE tours
Very busy and popular hotel with American tours, as well with Irish and other international tourists. Family owned and managed property in the middle of Killarney. Location is just perfect for hotel guests.
Pros
Cons
Work - life balance very bad
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Killarney Plaza Hotel & Spa?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Killarney Plaza Hotel & Spa. Our community is ready to answer.
1.8