Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 104 reviews matching the search See all 4,115 reviews
Terrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare1 October 2018
Easy to get injured,high pallets,loads of straps,plastics,pieces of wood,cardboards on the floor,they have “pick rates” “targets” which is 250 boxes per hour average,you cannot reach them using manual handling so you have to bend your back not your knees,most of the times problems to receive holiday pay or sickness pay,lots of strange changes in working time every week,never know what time you finish,only know what time you start,in the event of fire they not evacuate people but send them to pick in different area of warehouse,i wouldn’t recommend it to anybody
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad management
Slave labour
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare30 September 2018
Worst job on earth such bad pay for back breaking work your kept for hours after your finish time like a slave and you don't get paid for your breaks as if the pay wasn't bad enough avoid at all costs
Pros
No pros whatsoever
Cons
Long hours poor pay bad management
Extremely hard physical & mentally draining work with little support and little or no thanks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 September 2018
Prepare to work long crazy hours, accept liability for unrealistic targets not being met, KPIs not being reached due to stock you didn’t order being forced on you & your poor team calling sick from stress & physical injuries due to poor workplace compliance - falls in bakery freezers & warehouses are common due to over crowding due to too much stock allocated and pressure to rush due to unrealistic times given for workloads . Pregnant girls being forced to pack non food and work in bakery freezer by uncaring managers and area managers bullying managers to the point of stress & depression. Of course I was lucky to have plenty who were honest & had respect for me but there is one or two known for there consistent ill treatment but because they reach targets & win prizes nothing is done.
If you want great salary with little to no private life this is the job for you. You lose your spirit and your soul - a little piece every day. If I wasn’t lucky enough to have such great staff I’d have left long ago. The workers are the pride of that place & work so hard. The higher up the food chain you get the nastier you get. Once you reach your sell by date or question anything they force you out by any means.
Managers clock for 48 hours but work 60+. Company ignores this until they want rid of manager then they threaten manager with documentation of the excess hours being worked until they leave. Funnily the area managers also do this as do all managers in the company when it suits them they turn a blind eye. Also if you are lucky enough to be related to anyone in headoffice you can
  more... mess up without any repercussions.
My last area manager before I left was fantastic. Realistic helpful and didn’t try to intimidate or bully me or my managers. But I would never go back for any amount of money. Currently working for a company that nurtures managers and finally have a work/life balance.
Lidl is perfect for short term quick money making once you are happy to lose your soul happiness & let your relationships suffer. Also if you enjoy being bullied via email & illgal WhatsApp groups on your PERSONAL phone.
Pros
Great salary, met some fabulous people, managed some great teams
Cons
No life
not good work permanently
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 September 2018
No team work
Not safe place to work
A lot of strange changes in working time
Bad treatment of employees by superiors
good pay for an hour but at the moment he is doing everything that would not be overtime, hence the lack of hours
Pros
No pay for brake
Cons
Loved working here, but it was hard
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin23 August 2018
Worked for Lidl 2002/2004. I sold my soul for the company. If ye want to work hard, and not have any real contact with family or friends go for it. I once got a phone call in Portugal about something that had gone wrong when I wasnt there. The Irish workers don't get the ethics of Lidl. It is hard work, you don't sit on your hole each day
It takes over... It's obsessional.. it's hard work. Ye never get out on time. It's never manned properly either.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
No time to spend it
Nightmare
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayo Abbey, County Mayo13 August 2018
I worked there as a deputy manager was thrown straight in the deep end. Normal shift should have been 12-10 pm. Most nights it was 12-12 pm. No training given expected to know everything without being shown. Staff taken advantage off. No break's given or not full amount of time. Just a horrible experience bearing in mind I have probably worked for the top 5 retailers in Europe. These joker's were expecting 3 people to close a huge store from 5 pm until closing and have the shop ready for the opening. Never seen anything like it before in my 15 years in retail.
Pros
Cons
Read my review.
Busy environment, always something to do
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin8 August 2018
Lidl is a really fast paced working environment, you'll always have a task to do and sometimes it will feel like there aren't enough hours to get everything done!
A typical day in job consists of working the tills, (Only the bare minimum of cashiers to service customers so always expect a queue)
cleaning up any floor spills, carrying spoiled or damaged products to the back of house, baking and laying out the fresh bread, moving pallets, cashing up, if you're on the closing shift you don't get to go home until the work is done but you will be paid for every minute you work. the starting wage is about 11.50 euro an hour and this will increase every 12 months.
Ideal for a first job but not much in terms of career advancement and they WILL call you on your days off when they are short-staffed there is no shortage of overtime.
Pros
good money per hour, lots of overtime available, easy to swap a shift
Cons
long hours - 11-9 shifts, can get out late when you are closing shop, trolley tests etc
Hard work
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kilkenny15 June 2018
Hard work, needs to be available to work everywhere eg bakery, packing team , checkouts etc. Staff member has to be available to work in different hours morning or late close down time. Only person who is fast and keen quick is good for work in Lidl
Pros
Lots of extras e.g insurance pensions etc
Cons
Very long shifts up to 12 hours
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leixlip, County Kildare12 June 2018
Lidl gave me the opportunity to learn and work all paid by the company and even offered a full-time role with the company if you wished to continue working after the program. I am so grateful that I was part of the first class in Ireland to be involved with the company. It provided me with Degree from world-renowned Dublin Business School.

I met and worked with some amazing people and consider a lot of them still friends to this day.
Good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  IE11 June 2018
Lidl was a good place to work with flexible hours. Most staff and management were also nice and friendly. My reasons for leaving was so that I could go back to the trade I trained at
Worst place i have evet worked in...
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare10 June 2018
Mangers don't care about u as a person they treat you like a robot .nothing is never good enough for them they always want more..it's a dump and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody unless your the same nationality as the floor supervisor and manager...mainly polish or Latvian then you will get on just fine.
Pros
Leaving this dump
Cons
Taken this job
worse company ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Terenure, County Dublin25 May 2018
Very unfriendly place to work, everyone always stressed and doing everything super faster by consequence very bad costumer service, . All the kind of bad things happen inside that company. Huge turn over of workers. All sort of bulling
Pros
never seen
Cons
everything
No life if you're a manager
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin21 May 2018
If you are a dep/sm/som you will literally have no life but Lidl. Cut every corner possible, spare every expense and work management and staff to the bone. Any good managers get out of there quickly and it is evident in every store.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work life balance is non existent
Great place for hardworkers
Trainee Deputy Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Letterkenny15 May 2018
Great place to work if you want a secure job with good opportunities for advancement for hard workers.
You get a good wage for the type of work. The staff in the my branch are all good people and hard workers.

On the bad side there is an issue with hours being cut for staff to save money. Sometimes managers do not correctly allocate the staff shifts and sometimes one shift is left with more work than it is possible to get done on time.
There is not enough training for the job. You have to learn as you go.
Terrible
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ireland6 May 2018
Not somewhere I would ever want to work again. salary is competitive but you would literally have no life outside of work. bear in mind its 12 years since I worked there. I would hope things have changed since then
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours. work/life balance
Fast Paced Environment
Store Responsible Person (Former Employee) –  Straffan, County Kildare3 May 2018
Enjoyable if you enjoy tricky tasks, fast paced environment.
Great progression evident.
Work life balance is very tough
Long hours and 5+ days a week if you are good at your job
Be prepared to work hard
KPI driven enviroment, fast paced, great management team
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Longford,CarrickonShannon,London,Ballina26 April 2018
A great company to work for. Salary and benefits package are extremely competitive in todays retailmarket. A fast growing retail company, with great opportunities for career progression.
work hard work well
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  IE19 April 2018
The company really prioritises customer experience , The management are kind and well qualified , teamwork plays a huge part and success is usually expected
Pros
pay
Cons
Hard work
The worst nightmare that you could dream about
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare11 April 2018
Success of this company is based on a lie. You can't ask for anything but if you try then be prepared to meet a wall. This is perfect job only for young physically fit people without kids or even partner. Really easy to get injured when working especially in fruit & veg dept. Loads of straps, pallets, pieces of broken palles on the floor. If You will hit their targets they gonna always ask for more and more. Maybe stores is a different place.. Management cares only about numbers. You must ask even before goin to the toilet. And the last thing is You work really fast then You can get like 6 hours if not they will make a problems even to work those contracted ones.
So much to learn but lack of management support
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 March 2018
Work can be very physical and stressful. New staff are expected to have the same outcome as the older staff. You have to be fully flexible to do the job from doing till,packing,baking and merchandising.
Pros
salary
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K