Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 115 reviews matching the search See all 4,062 reviews
Bloody aweful
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ireland15 April 2019
If you want a job where the weight falls off you and you are working ridiculous hours with no life this is the job for you !
Not a place that you can ever take a break from.
Pros
Good money in Management
Cons
Everything else is bad.
Slave job - good looking on the outside total garbage on inside !
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath4 April 2019
Not for people with family. Very rude managers and bully supervisors . Even if you hit the target you will never be good enough . Very unsafe place to work ! Safety is only on the papper in reality they will sqeez all the juice out of you no matter what .
It is a lie company . Vages .... People who work there for over 5 years and moren even they don't understand how vages ar calculated . What you get is 1 payment a month for last 2 months . You will also get a payslip with tons of useless info on it that will only confuse you . If you will ring payroll for extra info/explanation about your wages then answer always is the same - basicaly they say that you are stupid and everything is correct !
Most people who work there are unhappy with the way Lidl represents payslips and how vages are calculated but it is pointles to argue !
If you like to be treated like a slave then you will love this place !
Awful work environment
Picker (Former Employee) –  County Westmeath10 March 2019
Do yourself a favour and apply for a different job. I can't understand how people keep saying that the pay is good, when any Job would have good pay if you are in there 10 hours a day. You don't get paid for breaks, so if you want to get yourself a decent wage be prepared to do 11/12 hours of hard work 6 days a week. Also be prepared for the most complicated pay structure when you start. First month is only contract hours, so for a full month work you get 800euro. Absolute joke
Pros
Cons
Long hours/no h+s
Pretty OK
Sales Assistant/Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath8 March 2019
Decent place to work, management opportunities always available so got chance for advancement. Not very rewarding work though, long hours with no social life to be expected.
Was told I had the job, then dumped a few days before starting.
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Bantry, County Cork4 February 2019
Was offered a job by phone and went in and got my uniform fitted. Was told to go to charleville for training a week or so later. Three days before the training was to start I got an email thanking me for attending interview but I won't be able to have the job. Didn't even bother ringing me to say this. Could not recommend working for a company who treats people like this, but on the bright side judging from the other reviews I am probably better off not working there. Avoid.
Pros
The pay is meant to be decent
Cons
1 person has to do the job of 4, management are a joke, expected to memorise a lot of codes.
Okay wirkplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin1 February 2019
Decent place to work management isn’t the best, sometimes work/life balance can be overwhelming as you can work up to 3 12 hour shifts per week........
Not too bad for beginners
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  IE7 January 2019
Not too bad for beginners. Long hours, poor work-life balance, salary is not too bad, long shifts, over hours, nice people working there so you can build some friendships
Hard and Unsafely
Store Person (Current Employee) –  County Kildare5 January 2019
Hard job physically and mentally.
Some of colleagues are very hard working people, but not treated equally. Shifts are made inappropriate way, as two members of staff staying on their own in store, in very busy hours at the evenings, it makes very difficult to take a break. Customer service suffers because of that seriously. Thefts increased since 2 people are working at the late nights. Very hard to be listened.
Pros
rate per hour
Cons
Extremely high pressure, lack of trainings, lack of management, hard to take breaks
Avoid Lidl
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IE2 December 2018
If you get job with Lidl you can forget about your personal life, simple as that. You will be working very long hours, and you will be asked to finish jobs in unrealistic time frame
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Lack of leadership and organisation
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dublin16 November 2018
While this company used to make staff proud of working here, it has declined in recent years. It now lacks in leadership, management and organisation and fosters a negative work atmosphere.
workplace
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath9 November 2018
worst kip i ever worked in treated like meat id rather starve never forget they need you more than you need them plus this pick rates they have a silverback to set this rate bad work culture
A toxic work culture.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin30 October 2018
There is a reason why the rate of pay is relatively high, so beware of that on embarking on work here.

I found not all, but some of the staff to be stifling aloof,
Peassimistic and stand-offish. The staff there were rather cliquey. There was little emphasis on team work or bonding. Many People don't greet each other or ever speak.

I couldn't ever see myself integrating to be apart of a 'team', as there was no team there. There was no shop morale. I found one of the deputy managers in particular to be bitter, sharp and impatient, well just simply unhappy, but perhaps that's because of the pressure there put under in Lidl.

I found I wasnt valued as a worker there by certain members of staff, either you fit perfectly into the tightly run institution of Lidl, or you can get lost. There's no even reasonable accommodations to be made for Lidl employees. It's not uncommon to go very long periods with not only not having a break (6 hours) but then on one case, being ordered that your break was shortened.

I was miserable there, with co-workers often always complaining, if not about the store, their own lives. Many of my co-workers seemed unhappy.

I would never work in Lidl again.
Pros
A relatively high rate of pay, and that's it.
Cons
Unhappy work culture and a peassimistic atmosphere.
Horrible management. Good people treated badly. Decent pay though
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin29 October 2018
I have been working as a store assistant for the last 8 years in lidl. Staff treated badly from the beginning. Most managers are bullies but some are good. Very hard working job. Good pay with good benefits. Not viable long term. Lidl chews you up and spits you out when it suits them. I would advise to stay away. I am currently looking for another job to get out of this place. Met some nice people along the way but generally never in Upper management. Agreements mean nothing to management except when it suits them. Very sly place to work!!!
Pros
Money per hour
Cons
A lot is wrong with this company
Terrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare1 October 2018
Easy to get injured,high pallets,loads of straps,plastics,pieces of wood,cardboards on the floor,they have “pick rates” “targets” which is 250 boxes per hour average,you cannot reach them using manual handling so you have to bend your back not your knees,most of the times problems to receive holiday pay or sickness pay,lots of strange changes in working time every week,never know what time you finish,only know what time you start,in the event of fire they not evacuate people but send them to pick in different area of warehouse,i wouldn’t recommend it to anybody
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad management
Slave labour
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare30 September 2018
Worst job on earth such bad pay for back breaking work your kept for hours after your finish time like a slave and you don't get paid for your breaks as if the pay wasn't bad enough avoid at all costs
Pros
No pros whatsoever
Cons
Long hours poor pay bad management
Extremely hard physical & mentally draining work with little support and little or no thanks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 September 2018
Prepare to work long crazy hours, accept liability for unrealistic targets not being met, KPIs not being reached due to stock you didn’t order being forced on you & your poor team calling sick from stress & physical injuries due to poor workplace compliance - falls in bakery freezers & warehouses are common due to over crowding due to too much stock allocated and pressure to rush due to unrealistic times given for workloads . Pregnant girls being forced to pack non food and work in bakery freezer by uncaring managers and area managers bullying managers to the point of stress & depression. Of course I was lucky to have plenty who were honest & had respect for me but there is one or two known for there consistent ill treatment but because they reach targets & win prizes nothing is done.
If you want great salary with little to no private life this is the job for you. You lose your spirit and your soul - a little piece every day. If I wasn’t lucky enough to have such great staff I’d have left long ago. The workers are the pride of that place & work so hard. The higher up the food chain you get the nastier you get. Once you reach your sell by date or question anything they force you out by any means.
Managers clock for 48 hours but work 60+. Company ignores this until they want rid of manager then they threaten manager with documentation of the excess hours being worked until they leave. Funnily the area managers also do this as do all managers in the company when it suits them they turn a blind eye. Also if you are lucky enough to be related to anyone in headoffice you can
  more... mess up without any repercussions.
My last area manager before I left was fantastic. Realistic helpful and didn’t try to intimidate or bully me or my managers. But I would never go back for any amount of money. Currently working for a company that nurtures managers and finally have a work/life balance.
Lidl is perfect for short term quick money making once you are happy to lose your soul happiness & let your relationships suffer. Also if you enjoy being bullied via email & illgal WhatsApp groups on your PERSONAL phone.
Pros
Great salary, met some fabulous people, managed some great teams
Cons
No life
not good work permanently
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 September 2018
No team work
Not safe place to work
A lot of strange changes in working time
Bad treatment of employees by superiors
good pay for an hour but at the moment he is doing everything that would not be overtime, hence the lack of hours
Pros
No pay for brake
Cons
Hard work for a great salary
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IE28 August 2018
Lidl is a great place if you are passionate about retail and want to progress. If you are looking for an easy job do not apply here. They run an extremely lean operation meaning staff are expected to be as productive as possible and you will always be busy. Hours are long and unless you are on a management salary hours are not guaranteed above your contract hours which can start from 10 hours per week. Work life balance here is quite bad.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
long, unsociable hours.
Loved working here, but it was hard
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin23 August 2018
Worked for Lidl 2002/2004. I sold my soul for the company. If ye want to work hard, and not have any real contact with family or friends go for it. I once got a phone call in Portugal about something that had gone wrong when I wasnt there. The Irish workers don't get the ethics of Lidl. It is hard work, you don't sit on your hole each day
It takes over... It's obsessional.. it's hard work. Ye never get out on time. It's never manned properly either.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
No time to spend it
Nightmare
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayo Abbey, County Mayo13 August 2018
I worked there as a deputy manager was thrown straight in the deep end. Normal shift should have been 12-10 pm. Most nights it was 12-12 pm. No training given expected to know everything without being shown. Staff taken advantage off. No break's given or not full amount of time. Just a horrible experience bearing in mind I have probably worked for the top 5 retailers in Europe. These joker's were expecting 3 people to close a huge store from 5 pm until closing and have the shop ready for the opening. Never seen anything like it before in my 15 years in retail.
Pros
Cons
Read my review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K