Lidl Employee Reviews

One of the best in retail industry
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin12 February 2018
A very good employer giving you the opportunity to work in a very fast environment, excellent training and excellent opportunity to develop professionally (staff management, stock and orders, team work, etc).
Hard work.
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle West, County Limerick19 January 2018
Typical day at work is hard day. I have learned how to deal with customers to make them happy. Workplace culture is fine. THe hardest part ofo the job is to make customer happy.
Very dynamic environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin13 January 2018
Can be much better. sometimes is organisation of the job very low.
Very often you are splitted between tills and work on shop floor.
Sometimes must stay much longer after your shift after store closing because of cleaning and sorting and products separation.
Regional Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleville, County Cork10 January 2018
no Job security
poor culture
no support from management
no communication
no training
no Job support
learned very little
high staff turnover
friendly atmosphere, great team attitude
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, County Offaly6 January 2018
I have worked with Lidl Ireland for over 1 year and i really enjoyed my time working for the company. My day would usually consist of taking in orders and organising the warehouse upon delivery.
Pros
Great attitude in store
Cons
Good way of thinking bad implementation
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  County Cork16 December 2017
Pays very good per hour but only managerial positions are on full time contract. Staff usually get a 10-30 hours contract. Starters on lower hours contract. Hours could vary from very short days to very long days. There could be very low hours one week and very high another. Gets unsocial able at times also no job security as most people can't make a living on 10-20 hours a weeks.

As much as it looks like they have a good system for training out of a few day not much training provided. New staff almost immediately expected to hit same targets as staff who are there for years. Staff are expected to follow strict guidelines but none is trained enough to know what they are exactly.

The targets are reachable but in an ideal world's ideal scenarios but as we don't live in an ideal world it makes them borderline unrealistic therefore most days things fall behind or done quantity over quality way.

Staff are good even management only few exceptions can't really complain about them but it seems like due to targets set on the edge of possibility you can get told off anytime for something. It seems that Management as it goes down from top to bottom everyone tells off everyone and no appraisals given which seems to be Lidl's culture in Ireland.

I think its great that you work harder and in faster pace while you have to watch quality and customer service as well but due to the above culture it gets out of hand and causes to much stress.
Advise for top management don't forget pushing for the extra income in short term could cause loss in the long run. Give lieu way for unforeseen
  more... events. Staff should have proper training on daily routine tasks that's could speed up things. It seems like good ideas have bad implementation and every blames everyone.  less
Pros
Salary, people are nice
Cons
Lack of training, stress, lack of appraisal
Worst company ever
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Side. CORK11 December 2017
No work life balance
No shift rotation including weekends therefore no life.

Management are on another level talking down to employees.

If your not management you wont be involved in anything, even conversations.

You would work a 10 hour shift and after starting your shift an hour later you are sent on break leaving you 8 to 9 hours without a break and food.

Higher management do not care no point in complaining.

Constantly breaking legal requirements eg. an 11 to 12 hour gap between shifts.

Often found myself working 10 days in a row.

Do not dare ask a question as you will recieve abuse.

No training given to new staff.

Building and moving tables, shelves, heavy items and stock in and of warehouses and freezers etc. That could be twice the average persons bodyweight. No health and safety.

My first 3 months were ok my last 9 to 10 months were a nightmare.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Bad management, No shift rotation, awful treatment by management, no life at all I never seen my kid or partner, No consideration for staff, all around bad place to work
Horrible
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tipperary30 September 2017
I worked for LIDL and here are my observations:

Little to no relevant training is provided!

Everything is rushed from the day you start and it does not matter to management that you are new to the job, you are expected to be the same speed at everything as the people in the job ten years.

In the store I worked the management style was laissez faire; little to no direction or communication. One of the worst managers I have ever worked for or observed in any field!

I found that people working in the job had become robots who could only converse about LIDL life and not about much else. I guess that is the effect of such a regimented workplace!
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Monthly pay, unsociable hours, horrible culture
productivity
Supermarket operator (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 September 2017
good job,where i could doing different task,since restock,to salesman, it was a serious and a demanding company, i enjoyed worked there,
the bad side i think it´s clean, at the end of the day
productivity
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athy, County Kildare16 August 2017
very busy place of work, have fun everyday with different people.
i learned how to be friendly and care for peoples needs.
management not bad and it depends on what you mean by management
just that you have to be responsible for everything
people around you all time
Pros
you have to be responsible for your lunch
Cons
fight for hours
No go!
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Numerous27 July 2017
Left in 2012 after 3 years of torture. Still to this day I count this as the worst experience of my life. They push you beyond belief, to actual tears most days. Less then zero work life balance, could do 12 days in a row, no regard for law in this matter. I experienced very sly upper management, on occasion they would even blantanly lie to save their own nose; you spend most of the time defending yourself. Staff are to blame for everything, even though they work themself to the bone.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Extremely hard, draining, no life work balance
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ireland20 July 2017
Very hard, extremely long hours, all managers are contracted for 48h and are often expect to commute long distances on top. Plus many work more off the clock. Culture is awful, there are small changes in right direction being attempted but not much real difference made, Most people are there for money only. Managers are put in golden handcuffs, being paid well, but with their confidence being crushed on a daily basis. Many of them are of foreign origin and dont have suffiecient language skills or education to seek good employment elsewhere, which perfectly suit the company.
After few years many of them become sick, back injuries are super common, no suprise when people work 12h shifts every day.
Pros
good wage and benefits
Cons
everything else
Tough but rewarding
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Cork4 May 2017
Lidl is a great place to develop a retail knowledge. While it is an extremely tough job, it is also very rewarding. I have enjoyed my time with Lidl but now feel the need to look elsewhere to try establish a better work life balance.
Pros
salary
Draining work.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Munster26 April 2017
Been workin as a sales assistant for almost 3 years now. Dont like one bit but keep staying because the hourly rate is really good. If youre a man you do great because then you wont be stuck at the tills 6 hrs a day. No chance given for a woman to do pack out or anything elsr than bakery. Only thing i enjoy is the bakery, then at least i get off from the tills for couple hours.
Management is terrible. No organisation skills what so ever and everything is always a big panic and chaos. Very hard to work. You also get abused verbally by the customers daily because following "company policies" like fast checkout scanning etc..
Pros
Good hour rate
Cons
Bad managment. Only good job for a man. Women ignored.
pressure and unrealistic excpectations on store managment
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cork24 April 2017
not for everyone, store managment staff often frustrated due to pressure from higher managment. if one wants to move up it needs to deal with it. carrot is often offered but rarely delivered.
Pros
salary, i guess
Cons
no work life balance for store managment positions
productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  IE20 April 2017
I am working full time in a fast pace environment meeting targets on the hour everyday. I work as a team and sometime work on my own which I have to make my own decisions. My day in work is a different day everyday. I love working with Customers and solving some issues they might have and then to see them happy. There is no real hard part to my job' as long as you have organisational skills and good Customer Service and team relations your job is so enjoyable for everyone.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
unsocialable hours
typical day at work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare10 April 2017
hard work, you had to be fast and efficient, lots of long hours, few breaks, staff not friendly, huge pressure load, cleaning/security guard as well sales assistant for the shop is unacceptable, huge racism problem with this company
Pros
pay
Good Training
Trainee Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare5 April 2017
I found there to be a lot of good training at Lidl, they provide all the tools and theory to make sure you can carry out your duties as best as possible.
Lidl
Warehouse Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare26 March 2017
A very fast paced environment.Process driven roles.Rigid systems structure.Varied challenges daily .Moving technically in the right direction.will improve over time
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long Hours
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin22 March 2017
I had a lot to learn during my work here.
A challenging job due as you do quite a bit of everything from operating checkouts to stocking shelves and to be done within certain speeds, but I learned a lot about the importance of working as a team.Learned a lot of new skills including cash handling, baking, inventory, stock taking, dealing with costumers and working as a member of a driven team.
Cons
Long late shifts