Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 113 reviews matching the search See all 4,423 reviews
Horrible management. Good people treated badly. Decent pay though
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin29 October 2018
I have been working as a store assistant for the last 8 years in lidl. Staff treated badly from the beginning. Most managers are bullies but some are good. Very hard working job. Good pay with good benefits. Not viable long term. Lidl chews you up and spits you out when it suits them. I would advise to stay away. I am currently looking for another job to get out of this place. Met some nice people along the way but generally never in Upper management. Agreements mean nothing to management except when it suits them. Very sly place to work!!!
Pros
Money per hour
Cons
A lot is wrong with this company
Hard work for a great salary
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IE28 August 2018
Lidl is a great place if you are passionate about retail and want to progress. If you are looking for an easy job do not apply here. They run an extremely lean operation meaning staff are expected to be as productive as possible and you will always be busy. Hours are long and unless you are on a management salary hours are not guaranteed above your contract hours which can start from 10 hours per week. Work life balance here is quite bad.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
long, unsociable hours.
Not too bad for beginners
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  IE7 January 2019
Not too bad for beginners. Long hours, poor work-life balance, salary is not too bad, long shifts, over hours, nice people working there so you can build some friendships
Avoid Lidl
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IE2 December 2018
If you get job with Lidl you can forget about your personal life, simple as that. You will be working very long hours, and you will be asked to finish jobs in unrealistic time frame
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Terrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare1 October 2018
Easy to get injured,high pallets,loads of straps,plastics,pieces of wood,cardboards on the floor,they have “pick rates” “targets” which is 250 boxes per hour average,you cannot reach them using manual handling so you have to bend your back not your knees,most of the times problems to receive holiday pay or sickness pay,lots of strange changes in working time every week,never know what time you finish,only know what time you start,in the event of fire they not evacuate people but send them to pick in different area of warehouse,i wouldn’t recommend it to anybody
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad management
Busy environment, always something to do
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin8 August 2018
Lidl is a really fast paced working environment, you'll always have a task to do and sometimes it will feel like there aren't enough hours to get everything done!
A typical day in job consists of working the tills, (Only the bare minimum of cashiers to service customers so always expect a queue)
cleaning up any floor spills, carrying spoiled or damaged products to the back of house, baking and laying out the fresh bread, moving pallets, cashing up, if you're on the closing shift you don't get to go home until the work is done but you will be paid for every minute you work. the starting wage is about 11.50 euro an hour and this will increase every 12 months.
Ideal for a first job but not much in terms of career advancement and they WILL call you on your days off when they are short-staffed there is no shortage of overtime.
Pros
good money per hour, lots of overtime available, easy to swap a shift
Cons
long hours - 11-9 shifts, can get out late when you are closing shop, trolley tests etc
No life if you're a manager
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin21 May 2018
If you are a dep/sm/som you will literally have no life but Lidl. Cut every corner possible, spare every expense and work management and staff to the bone. Any good managers get out of there quickly and it is evident in every store.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work life balance is non existent
Extremely hard physical & mentally draining work with little support and little or no thanks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 September 2018
Prepare to work long crazy hours, accept liability for unrealistic targets not being met, KPIs not being reached due to stock you didn’t order being forced on you & your poor team calling sick from stress & physical injuries due to poor workplace compliance - falls in bakery freezers & warehouses are common due to over crowding due to too much stock allocated and pressure to rush due to unrealistic times given for workloads . Pregnant girls being forced to pack non food and work in bakery freezer by uncaring managers and area managers bullying managers to the point of stress & depression. Of course I was lucky to have plenty who were honest & had respect for me but there is one or two known for there consistent ill treatment but because they reach targets & win prizes nothing is done.
If you want great salary with little to no private life this is the job for you. You lose your spirit and your soul - a little piece every day. If I wasn’t lucky enough to have such great staff I’d have left long ago. The workers are the pride of that place & work so hard. The higher up the food chain you get the nastier you get. Once you reach your sell by date or question anything they force you out by any means.
Managers clock for 48 hours but work 60+. Company ignores this until they want rid of manager then they threaten manager with documentation of the excess hours being worked until they leave. Funnily the area managers also do this as do all managers in the company when it suits them they turn a blind eye. Also if you are lucky enough to be related to anyone in headoffice you can
  more... mess up without any repercussions.
My last area manager before I left was fantastic. Realistic helpful and didn’t try to intimidate or bully me or my managers. But I would never go back for any amount of money. Currently working for a company that nurtures managers and finally have a work/life balance.
Lidl is perfect for short term quick money making once you are happy to lose your soul happiness & let your relationships suffer. Also if you enjoy being bullied via email & illgal WhatsApp groups on your PERSONAL phone.
Pros
Great salary, met some fabulous people, managed some great teams
Cons
No life
Was told I had the job, then dumped a few days before starting.
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Bantry, County Cork4 February 2019
Was offered a job by phone and went in and got my uniform fitted. Was told to go to charleville for training a week or so later. Three days before the training was to start I got an email thanking me for attending interview but I won't be able to have the job. Didn't even bother ringing me to say this. Could not recommend working for a company who treats people like this, but on the bright side judging from the other reviews I am probably better off not working there. Avoid.
Pros
The pay is meant to be decent
Cons
1 person has to do the job of 4, management are a joke, expected to memorise a lot of codes.
Terrible
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ireland6 May 2018
Not somewhere I would ever want to work again. salary is competitive but you would literally have no life outside of work. bear in mind its 12 years since I worked there. I would hope things have changed since then
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours. work/life balance
Hard and Unsafely
Store Person (Current Employee) –  County Kildare5 January 2019
Hard job physically and mentally.
Some of colleagues are very hard working people, but not treated equally. Shifts are made inappropriate way, as two members of staff staying on their own in store, in very busy hours at the evenings, it makes very difficult to take a break. Customer service suffers because of that seriously. Thefts increased since 2 people are working at the late nights. Very hard to be listened.
Pros
rate per hour
Cons
Extremely high pressure, lack of trainings, lack of management, hard to take breaks
Slave labour
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare30 September 2018
Worst job on earth such bad pay for back breaking work your kept for hours after your finish time like a slave and you don't get paid for your breaks as if the pay wasn't bad enough avoid at all costs
Pros
No pros whatsoever
Cons
Long hours poor pay bad management
KPI driven enviroment, fast paced, great management team
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Longford,CarrickonShannon,London,Ballina26 April 2018
A great company to work for. Salary and benefits package are extremely competitive in todays retailmarket. A fast growing retail company, with great opportunities for career progression.
not good work permanently
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 September 2018
No team work
Not safe place to work
A lot of strange changes in working time
Bad treatment of employees by superiors
good pay for an hour but at the moment he is doing everything that would not be overtime, hence the lack of hours
Pros
No pay for brake
Cons
So much to learn but lack of management support
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 March 2018
Work can be very physical and stressful. New staff are expected to have the same outcome as the older staff. You have to be fully flexible to do the job from doing till,packing,baking and merchandising.
Pros
salary
Cons
Loved working here, but it was hard
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin23 August 2018
Worked for Lidl 2002/2004. I sold my soul for the company. If ye want to work hard, and not have any real contact with family or friends go for it. I once got a phone call in Portugal about something that had gone wrong when I wasnt there. The Irish workers don't get the ethics of Lidl. It is hard work, you don't sit on your hole each day
It takes over... It's obsessional.. it's hard work. Ye never get out on time. It's never manned properly either.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
No time to spend it
A toxic work culture.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin30 October 2018
There is a reason why the rate of pay is relatively high, so beware of that on embarking on work here.

I found not all, but some of the staff to be stifling aloof,
Peassimistic and stand-offish. The staff there were rather cliquey. There was little emphasis on team work or bonding. Many People don't greet each other or ever speak.

I couldn't ever see myself integrating to be apart of a 'team', as there was no team there. There was no shop morale. I found one of the deputy managers in particular to be bitter, sharp and impatient, well just simply unhappy, but perhaps that's because of the pressure there put under in Lidl.

I found I wasnt valued as a worker there by certain members of staff, either you fit perfectly into the tightly run institution of Lidl, or you can get lost. There's no even reasonable accommodations to be made for Lidl employees. It's not uncommon to go very long periods with not only not having a break (6 hours) but then on one case, being ordered that your break was shortened.

I was miserable there, with co-workers often always complaining, if not about the store, their own lives. Many of my co-workers seemed unhappy.

I would never work in Lidl again.
Pros
A relatively high rate of pay, and that's it.
Cons
Unhappy work culture and a peassimistic atmosphere.
Lack of leadership and organisation
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dublin16 November 2018
While this company used to make staff proud of working here, it has declined in recent years. It now lacks in leadership, management and organisation and fosters a negative work atmosphere.
Extremely hard, draining, no life work balance
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ireland20 July 2017
Very hard, extremely long hours, all managers are contracted for 48h and are often expect to commute long distances on top. Plus many work more off the clock. Culture is awful, there are small changes in right direction being attempted but not much real difference made, Most people are there for money only. Managers are put in golden handcuffs, being paid well, but with their confidence being crushed on a daily basis. Many of them are of foreign origin and dont have suffiecient language skills or education to seek good employment elsewhere, which perfectly suit the company.
After few years many of them become sick, back injuries are super common, no suprise when people work 12h shifts every day.
Pros
good wage and benefits
Cons
everything else
Nightmare
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayo Abbey, County Mayo13 August 2018
I worked there as a deputy manager was thrown straight in the deep end. Normal shift should have been 12-10 pm. Most nights it was 12-12 pm. No training given expected to know everything without being shown. Staff taken advantage off. No break's given or not full amount of time. Just a horrible experience bearing in mind I have probably worked for the top 5 retailers in Europe. These joker's were expecting 3 people to close a huge store from 5 pm until closing and have the shop ready for the opening. Never seen anything like it before in my 15 years in retail.
Pros
Cons
Read my review.