Lidl Employee Reviews

12.30 start rate, 75% of the staff were nice people, all the managers were so professional, and actually cared about you and if you had a problem they'd take their time to help you with it carefully, if you love retail this is a good job as it pays better than most retailers, the work really isn't hard, what's hard is that nobody has a section to look after by themselves so sometimes you're running around dealing with multiple tasks at once but like I said, not difficult. Canteen was very tiny.No staff discount. Your hourly rate increases to about 14 euro I think within 4 years which is very good for retail. Self checkout can be very busy at times and might leave you worn out a little
Pros
Better wages than most retailers
Cons
Some staff were very inappropriate
Most of the staffs are bullying and demotivating. Always blames and compares with others. Even after your best of efforts they will say you are slow. Very difficult for new staffs.
Pros
Nothing much
Cons
Stress. Long hour, Bullying, Unsocial hours, lots of physical work and lifting
Extremely militaristic in their approach to work. Not given reasonable amount of time to complete tasks. 'Work smarter, not harder' is a favourite expression used by upper management. You are given tacit approval to cut corners in order to get tasks done, but if anything goes wrong you will be heavily reprimanded or fired by the same upper management. Upper management will absolve themselves of any responsibility if there are issues or complaints made. Retail staff are at the coal face and must suffer the consequences when things don't go according to plan e.g work longer hours than planned, appease disgruntled customers, forgo lunch breaks etc. At store level the work culture is rotten to the core, my experience is that nobody enjoys working in the Lidl retail environment. It is a very hostile work environment and I would not recommend working for this organisation.
Pros
No pros. No work-life balance
Cons
Long hours, limited opportunities for career advancement, little to no adequate training.
Long hours but rewarding Roster was fair but mostly evening or close shift One site with no parking was an issue and other than that good place to work if you have a good team
Good place to work, i have work and personal balance. Great team and management. Work involves till operations, packing shelves, baking. Some shifts can be physically challenging, because requires speed and efficiency.
Do you enjoy working extremely erratic hours? Do you enjoy being treated like a real prisoner? Enjoy working long hours from early at 3.30am until evening and only leaving when told to, regardless of your set hours? Never receiving your overtime owed, break your spirit and say goodbye to your personal life and loved ones, join Lidls they will give you a futuristic slavery experience at your cost, and toss you out in the dirt when you are all burnt out,
Pros
You get a lunch break to rethink your lifes choices.
Cons
Whey to many hidden cons to explain, do not join Lidls, its not fair on you or your family.
It can be hard theymust she how u work under preassure, it can be tough as u stay late cause store closes at 10pm.overall good payment.lot of overtime if u want.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Honestly my experience is much like many of what I see here. Awful management bordering on abuse. Give u too much work possible for your shift then threaten u with your job if u leave after your shift. Will make u stay for hours after u were supposed to be finished purposely. Left after 6 months because of all these issues. Got shouted at daily by foreign people in a language I don't understand, making snide remarks and talking about you to there colleagues. PLEASE LISTEN AND DON'T WORK THERE. you will regret it, it could be different elsewhere but the midlands of Ireland are brutal. I really wanted that job to work out and I had no bias against LIDL but after my experience I'd rather clean toilets. Serious lesson in being nicer to people needed. You can't even go higher up to make a complaint about any trouble either, the regional manager seemed in cohoots with the shop manager and will brush things under the carpet or all of them will try get rid of you, terrible terrible experience.
Pros
Feck all
Cons
Nearly everything
Worst place to work. Place is understaffed with a high staff turnover. Management are not organised. A female deputy store manager is rude and arrogant and has no self respect or manners towards staff at all. It is surprising she still has a job in the store. This job has made me ill, I have lost a lot of weight due to stress and have been ill regularly due to working here. Your health is more important than this job! The way myself and others were treated in there is beyond a joke. To have money thrown at you, to be spoken to rudely and looked down upon. The standard for any Lidl store. There is a serious problem with lack of communication in this store. The shifts are very long and they do not appreciate favours or you covering shifts. The stuff you put up with in that place isn't worth the money you are paid. Breaks are a joke there is no structure! You could go hours and hours without a break and management DO NOT care. Myself and another temporary colleague were badly treated by staff here and bullied physically and mentally. I was working one day 9.30-4pm and did not get a break until 2.10pm and to be told ' when we get the bakery sorted you can get your break'. How is running the bakery more important than an employee who is starving and has very little energy to serve customers? If you're lucky enough you'll be trained in the bakery. You will be used for the shifts that people don't want to do. Bakery is very pressurising and tbh I don't see the point in learning how to do it, it's not a thing that'll get you through life working in Lidl bakery. Management constantly - more...
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hours, treated badly, rude staff, rundown/ill
Good pay that's the only positive, rest are all negatives ,working 6,8 or even 10 hours without a break then told to take your break when you finished your shift,and you never have a finish time ,you get to finish work when you are told to go home,will leave you sitting on till for 8 hours straight . Will give you no protection from customers you as the employee will always be wrong. Constantly
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks no finish time no requested days off spoken down to by manager
Brutal company who don’t mind there staff , only a number there , no training , no development, and all fake . No work life balance and punished for been sick .
Pros
No pros
Cons
Poor management
Lidl is okay if you are looking for a job that pays well as they do they pay quite well for retail and have decent pay increases. However, expect long hours, no talking on shifts, hours changed constantly with zero notice, weekly tests to remember a long list of PLUs, and a management approach that borders on mental bullying and abuse. Their approach is to simply throw you into the deep end and then complain if you can't swim. There are some nice staff, but sadly management really need actual training on how to treat their staff like people instead of dirt. Would recommend short-term while looking for a better job and to save some money, but certainly not as a long-term career.
Pros
Good pay and plenty of overtime
Cons
Very bad management; zero training; no social life
You have to be good at almost every aspect of the job if you want to grow, you will be doing many tasks throughout the day, from cleaning and serving customers to filling out paperwork and answering incoming calls. In the beginning, most of your time will be spent packing, restocking on shelves, and serving customers at the checkout. The hardest part of the job is multitasking, sometimes you need to be in two places at the same time, but over time you get used to it. The nice part is getting your work done when you realize you've done your best to offer the best customer service in Lidl.
Pros
Flexible hours, high salary
I enjoyed working with lidl a lot, they have given me quite a good bit if experience, although when i joined i had informed them of my anxiety and they understood this until i got ill due to my anxiety and the manager was kind of passive aggressive about it
Pros
Great colleagues, wonderful management
Cons
Rude customers, bad security
Bad hours you'll be kept on the back shift for a very long time and mostly on one section there is no rotation at all which is stupid.There is not enough pickers so sometimes you might even do 14 hour shift finish at 2-3 at night and tht might continue for the whole week when business is bussy.
Great staff in store and indeed all stores but unfortunately that’s where the good story ends! Senior management have not embraced the ‘engaged workforce’ philosophy and unbelievably in these times still behave appallingly and disrespectfully.
Excellent company for internally training their staff. Hours can be long when in management but well worth it. Highly pressurised at times but like any retail job this passes.
Excellent: management , staff , environment , hours , pay , lunch Very busy day always moving and keeping busy very helpful co-wprkers and management staff
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
No cons
Great fast paced company for career oriented people. You get to work with most departments and are given a high level of responsibility. I would recommend it for those that are very career oriented.
Great culture and fun between colleagues. Working hours were a bit ridiculous, i.e. 1pm-11pm but sometimes you suddenly get asked (an hour prior to the end of your shift) go up to 1 am or even 3 am during Xmas period. Decent pay when compared to similar companies
When I started in lidl I thought it was impossible but when I settled into the swing of the the fast pase busy days it was easy it becomes second nature.
  1. Employee reviews