Lidl

Lidl

Lidl Employee Review

Used to be a great workplace but has been on decline year on year

Initially, it was a good company to work for but it's been losing it's appeal and with no improvements in the work and practises, it can only get worse. The hours are between 6-10/12hrs long with some longer hours if there are international store visits or inventory prep to be done. It is a good place for students who don't mind working, lazy staff aren't very much welcome or tolerated. If you're lucky to work in a busy store then the time flies but there is always something to do.

Pros

Able to have flexible hours if you're studying

Cons

Long hours, Always pressured to impress or do more with no concrete promise of a promotion, Unpleasant work culture.

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Working in Lidl

I used to work as a shop assistant in Lidl (Togher) in the past until I was transferred to Lidl in Ballincollig where my position of a shop assistant was promoted to a trainee manager. Lidl has given me experiences in how to work in team, manage many tasks at the same time and how to cope with stress in stressful situations. My work experiences enabled me to work as a team player which gave me knowledge of what a good team player should be like. I also learn, that the completion of work task does not only consist in hard work but also in mutual understanding and helping – these are the main key factors that facilitate the work done efficiently and thoroughly.

Pros

Good salary

Same role

poor communication at all levels within the company

At Lidl Ireland the main problem, in my opinion, is that there is a culture of staff having to meet impossible targets within impossible perameters set by higher management.
Same location

Stressful depending on the manager

I’ve worked here for 3 years, every manager has a different style of doing things. Some managers will try to get you to do different jobs around the shop and others will leave you on the till for your entire 10 hour shift. It’s an extremely fast paced job and it’s learn on the spot. I didn’t receive much training and was put on the till on my first day with no help. The money is good but it can be a toxic environment. Most stores will provide the rota for 3 weeks in advance but in my store the manager left the rota till the very last minute each week only posting it on the Thursday for the following week. My manager would also ignore all texts so communication was difficult.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Long hours, not guaranteed shifts

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Lidl
  • Used to be a great workplace but has been on decline year on year
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?