Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Customer Assistant65 reviews
Ireland65 reviews

Found 65 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,201 reviews

Rewarding salary/wages but you need to commit

You need to have a strong backbone to work in Lidl as it can get stressful easily. This job will help you mature and realise your potential. The hours can be long but what you give is what you get. They can be very forgiving with needed days off or shift changes but you also need to hold up your end of the deal.

Pros

Great salary and flexibility

Cons

Long hours and short staffing

It's all down to the managers

You'll have certain managers on for the day that really care about the staff and there's great co-operation back and forth to which you're happy to work for the company and help them out tooThen there are soul sucking unqualified bullies with no leadership capabilities that are disrespectful, screaming, aggressive and morale breaking who only care about covering themselvesOnce again it's all down to the managers. You can land a spot and love it or it can end up as misery

A very fast-paced workplace which can be stressful. The pay is good, but prepare for a pretty intense workplace environment.

Lidl is a fast-paced and stressful workplace. However, it pays very well and you always get the correct breaks. I enjoyed the work overall (cleaning, customer service etc), but I had to spend most of my time on the tills which soon became monotonous and tiring. My Lidl was understaffed, often only having 3 or 4 people closing the entire shop; you are expected to complete several tasks very quickly but to an extremely high standard which creates stress. I often ended up working late during my evening shift, especially on Sundays where I sometimes didn't get out until midnight, despite my finishing time being 22:00 or 22:30.

Room for growth

Overall a good company to work for. I was a customer assistant. Responsibilities included working the till, stocking shelves and general customer service. Excellent training was given before I began working.

Pros

Room for growth and excellent training Good salary overall for new starters Opportunity for overtime

Cons

Shift work can be tough for work-life balance

Nice place to work

Good place to work. Sometimes hard but fairly good.So far can't complain though.Enjoying working there nice people and fair management.Would recommend this shop to work

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Non yet

Goodbye self respect.

Toxic company and culture. Good money but most days you leave the place just feeling disrespected and unmotivated. Feedback in this company amounts to a mailbox with a paper shredder inside. HR is only there to cover management's backs as they carry on with an outdated management style of destroying morale and intimidation tactics. Company will never evolve.

Stressful

Not worth the money constantly being called and harassed by management to come in Never enough staff in n management are ignorant and do absolutely nothing

Fast paced

You really earn that extra few quid an hour. Once you get used to the fast paced environment, and accept that each day will be all go the whoole time, you will learn to enjoy it and make the most out of the benefits.

Avoid

Would not recommend long term there are easier ways of making money early starts understaffed under consistent pressure very easy to injury your back

Stressful and not worth of money

Payroll full of incompetent people,payment is on monthly base,but every second month i would receive only half of the payment caused by some "errors" in clock in devices, in best case scenario few hours missing from payslip is standard. People usually have 30h contract after 6 months probation, except if you have bad luck with payroll, so probation can last for about 1 year, if sales is low you will work less than 30h, but be paid 30h anyway, in return you will own that given hours to lidl, so you will work overtime for free when they need you. Don't count on payment for last month worked after you finish your work with lidl.

Pros

60h per week when they need you

Cons

16h per week or less no matter what kind of contract ylu got when they don't need you

Good team work

Kind of stressful and a lot of customers are rude. Also a lot of stealing and robbing in shop sometimes. It’s good money for retail industry but not a good for permanent job for me. Head office always try to cut your hours and don’t know how busy is the shop and we spend a lot of time of catching shoplifting and crazy customers.

Pros

Not too bad pay and nice coworkers

Cons

Long hour

Stressful, late nights and early mornings

When they say "faced paced work environment" they actually mean you are constantly under pressure to get things done. They want things done at lighting fast pace and it is an awful struggle to keep up. You always feel like you're not good enough. Managers are always up the walls trying to get things done. Very early morning shifts (you have to wake up at 4am in the morning or earlier to start your 5am shift) plus very late nights quite often. The rota says you'll be finished by 10:30pm but this is BS. You could be there till 3am in the morning or on a very good day 11pm. They are constantly understaffed with people calling in sick plus the incredible work load you have already, even if everyone is in its still so much to doBreaks are a joke; you must take your break when you are told even if you have only been in for 2 hours of your 10-hour shift. They also want you to clock out a minute before the clock hits the hour so they are by law only entitled to give you a certain amount of break time. For example, if you had an 8-hour shift, they would want to you clock out at 7 hours and 59 minutes so you don't have an hour break, you have a 30 minute one instead. I once did a 9-hour shift with no break because my rota only had me in for 5 hours (so 4 hours 59 minutes, aka not entitled to a break) and I was there till 3am (6pm-3am, 9 hours). I must add that your breaks are not paid for so if you don't have a break, you are paid accordingly, none the less its terrible, you are recked tired. Also, if you have to watch a video as part of your training then they expect you to do it during -

Pros

Good pay, sometimes you get free food from the bakery

Cons

In ridiculously early, often stay very late. Breaks are a joke. Under staffed, always under pressure. No staff wifi

Hard but very productive environment

Depends on management and the store, every store amd managers are different. It is a very hard work but they appreciate that and will reward hard workers.

Pros

Wages, different benefits, appreciation for hard work

Cons

Sometimes long hours, hard work

Productive workplace

I just love my store and my timLovely management. It’s hard job but every day is different. If you honestly work than is no problem. In one word Im happy to be part of Lidl family.

Demoralising.

Bad communication, management full of contradictions, it's all about the customer until productivity isn't met, then it's about reaching prod at all costs.The vast majority of managers, deputy managers, are full of self importance, preservation.

Pros

Some of the people

Cons

The vast majority of managers.

Horrible place to work.

Management as a whole is a complete mess of unorganized baboons never again am I going to work or shop in this establishment again . Spent 2 misarble years here only to be told on a weekly bases how disposable I am at my job by store manager. Staff turnover is unbelievable in my 2 years more than 15 staff have joined and left and only 3 including my self stayed for a period of time. The work is tough but it's only made tougher by the unreasonable expectations of managers who don't have to do it them selves. Over all would not recommend

Pros

Have the bit of craic if staff is alright

Cons

A mess of a company.

Lovely company

I was there for 3 years i had a fantastic team, just left cause was to far from my house. Well paid, is hard work but paid fair and they are really accommodating if you find a nice team is a job to stay. Kenmare Lidl is one lf the best ones to work.

Pros

Well paid

Cons

Hard work

Long dull hours in an unrewarding workplace

Started off great and enthusiastic with 40 hours a week when I started off, only negative is you start at 5am most mornings with a highly stressful task of doing the bakery. The job is very repetitive and when you’re on tills all the time once you’re trained in it is incredibly draining. Having to deal with arrogant and rude customer complaints and being harassed also comes with the job and it’s expected to happen, so you must be able to take it in your stride.

Pros

Sunday pay and early morning pay is extra

Cons

Hours always change

Horrendous for such a menial job.

No training at all provided to staff. Figure it out or be spoken to like a bold child and ridiculed. Buddy culture n the workplace. Friends of managers given nearly all weekends off while youre required to forego any kind of life outside work by working ridiculous shifts all weekend eg. start time of 1 and finish at closing which is 11 but realistically be luck to finish at 12. Never finish at rostered time always made to stay back and texted to come in early at 03:00 some days which is a joke. Management are also useless. Very unapproachable and stand-offish. Only time they want to speak with certain staff is to ridicule them. All in all they pay good for retail but only if you're willing to give up any kind of life outside of work, be stressed and overloaded with tasks and be spoken to like dirt.

Pros

Money is ok.

Cons

No training/ Bullying culture/ Ridiculous rosters

Only good part is the money

They send you to different stores. I get called 4 to 5 times on my days off. There is zero work life balance. Anything you do wrong they will put you under investigation. There's no training and high expectations. Everyone talks behind eachothers backs, management takes everything personally and never trys to meet your needs. They pick favourites and treat them well. I've often worked 4, 12 hour shifts in a row. And only got a 1 hour or half hour break. The contract is also completely false most of it isn't true

Pros

Money

Cons

Long hour's, no breaks, 5am start, 1am finish.

Listowel shop toxic environment.

Particular store I worked at has lost a lot of employees in a short time. Newbies are pushed and pushed to do more and more until it is at an impossible rate. Chastised. Experienced working with staff from a different store and it was night and day. They were fantastic from other store. Management needs a complete rehaul.

Pros

Good hourly pay

Cons

Short hours, stressful, horrible work environment

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement