Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Customer Assistant68 reviews
Ireland68 reviews

Found 68 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,377 reviews

Stressful depending on the manager

I’ve worked here for 3 years, every manager has a different style of doing things. Some managers will try to get you to do different jobs around the shop and others will leave you on the till for your entire 10 hour shift. It’s an extremely fast paced job and it’s learn on the spot. I didn’t receive much training and was put on the till on my first day with no help. The money is good but it can be a toxic environment. Most stores will provide the rota for 3 weeks in advance but in my store the manager left the rota till the very last minute each week only posting it on the Thursday for the following week. My manager would also ignore all texts so communication was difficult.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Long hours, not guaranteed shifts

Horrendous for such a menial job.

No training at all provided to staff. Figure it out or be spoken to like a bold child and ridiculed. Buddy culture n the workplace. Friends of managers given nearly all weekends off while youre required to forego any kind of life outside work by working ridiculous shifts all weekend eg. start time of 1 and finish at closing which is 11 but realistically be luck to finish at 12. Never finish at rostered time always made to stay back and texted to come in early at 03:00 some days which is a joke. Management are also useless. Very unapproachable and stand-offish. Only time they want to speak with certain staff is to ridicule them. All in all they pay good for retail but only if you're willing to give up any kind of life outside of work, be stressed and overloaded with tasks and be spoken to like dirt.

Pros

Money is ok.

Cons

No training/ Bullying culture/ Ridiculous rosters

Only good part is the money

They send you to different stores. I get called 4 to 5 times on my days off. There is zero work life balance. Anything you do wrong they will put you under investigation. There's no training and high expectations. Everyone talks behind eachothers backs, management takes everything personally and never trys to meet your needs. They pick favourites and treat them well. I've often worked 4, 12 hour shifts in a row. And only got a 1 hour or half hour break. The contract is also completely false most of it isn't true

Pros

Money

Cons

Long hour's, no breaks, 5am start, 1am finish.

Listowel shop toxic environment.

Particular store I worked at has lost a lot of employees in a short time. Newbies are pushed and pushed to do more and more until it is at an impossible rate. Chastised. Experienced working with staff from a different store and it was night and day. They were fantastic from other store. Management needs a complete rehaul.

Pros

Good hourly pay

Cons

Short hours, stressful, horrible work environment

Lack of communication

I have never received a feedback on my work. I started working and I thought I was going to learn a little about everything and take turns in the tasks, but after 1 month they put me in the till and I couldn't get out of there and learn more things.They will not prepare the schedules for you in advance (they should give them 3 weeks in advance) but once I was only able to access my schedule a few days before and it was only for 1 week. So you can't make any plans or make doctor appointments if you need to.There's no communication. There are many bosses but none ever knows how to give you the information you need and hardly ever has time for it.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Lack of communication

Stressful and Bullying

Most of the staffs are bullying and demotivating. Always blames and compares with others. Even after your best of efforts they will say you are slow. Very difficult for new staffs.

Pros

Nothing much

Cons

Stress. Long hour, Bullying, Unsocial hours, lots of physical work and lifting

Good for a retail job

12.30 start rate, 75% of the staff were nice people, all the managers were so professional, and actually cared about you and if you had a problem they'd take their time to help you with it carefully, if you love retail this is a good job as it pays better than most retailers, the work really isn't hard, what's hard is that nobody has a section to look after by themselves so sometimes you're running around dealing with multiple tasks at once but like I said, not difficult. Canteen was very tiny.No staff discount. Your hourly rate increases to about 14 euro I think within 4 years which is very good for retail. Self checkout can be very busy at times and might leave you worn out a little

Pros

Better wages than most retailers

Cons

Some staff were very inappropriate

Store assistant

Good place to work, i have work and personal balance. Great team and management. Work involves till operations, packing shelves, baking. Some shifts can be physically challenging, because requires speed and efficiency.

Good pay

It can be hard theymust she how u work under preassure, it can be tough as u stay late cause store closes at 10pm.overall good payment.lot of overtime if u want.

Pros

Salary

Like a Dictatorship

Honestly my experience is much like many of what I see here. Awful management bordering on abuse. Give u too much work possible for your shift then threaten u with your job if u leave after your shift. Will make u stay for hours after u were supposed to be finished purposely. Left after 6 months because of all these issues. Got shouted at daily by foreign people in a language I don't understand, making snide remarks and talking about you to there colleagues. PLEASE LISTEN AND DON'T WORK THERE. you will regret it, it could be different elsewhere but the midlands of Ireland are brutal. I really wanted that job to work out and I had no bias against LIDL but after my experience I'd rather clean toilets. Serious lesson in being nicer to people needed. You can't even go higher up to make a complaint about any trouble either, the regional manager seemed in cohoots with the shop manager and will brush things under the carpet or all of them will try get rid of you, terrible terrible experience.

Pros

Feck all

Cons

Nearly everything

Total lack of respect for employees and blatent disregard tobtge employess life outside of the workplace

Good pay that's the only positive, rest are all negatives ,working 6,8 or even 10 hours without a break then told to take your break when you finished your shift,and you never have a finish time ,you get to finish work when you are told to go home,will leave you sitting on till for 8 hours straight . Will give you no protection from customers you as the employee will always be wrong. Constantly

Pros

Pay

Cons

No breaks no finish time no requested days off spoken down to by manager

Stressful. Expect workplace bullying, but okay if desperate for money.

Lidl is okay if you are looking for a job that pays well as they do they pay quite well for retail and have decent pay increases. However, expect long hours, no talking on shifts, hours changed constantly with zero notice, weekly tests to remember a long list of PLUs, and a management approach that borders on mental bullying and abuse. Their approach is to simply throw you into the deep end and then complain if you can't swim. There are some nice staff, but sadly management really need actual training on how to treat their staff like people instead of dirt. Would recommend short-term while looking for a better job and to save some money, but certainly not as a long-term career.

Pros

Good pay and plenty of overtime

Cons

Very bad management; zero training; no social life

Nice to work

I enjoyed working with lidl a lot, they have given me quite a good bit if experience, although when i joined i had informed them of my anxiety and they understood this until i got ill due to my anxiety and the manager was kind of passive aggressive about it

Pros

Great colleagues, wonderful management

Cons

Rude customers, bad security

Great workplace

When I started in lidl I thought it was impossible but when I settled into the swing of the the fast pase busy days it was easy it becomes second nature.

Very supportive from the management side. Good hours and good money. Very friendly environment, fast and busy environment for work but enjoyable I personally higher recommend.

I would recommend Lidl

Excellent paid . Plenty of overtime if wanted. Busy environment. Would recommend to any one to apply, if your up for a challenge. Dealing with customer can be a pleasure, good chats !!

Suitable for making money

No team work and poor training make the beginning really tough, Managers with lack of personal skills low store morale, Hard to plan personal life due to constant changes in work shifts

Pros

Ones can get a lot of hours and make a good money.

Cons

Poor team work and poor training, Stressful environment managed by people with lack of personal skills

hard working

Lidl has a fast paced environment but has a great team. When working in Lidl you always feel that you are part of a team and that you are supported. I feel my team working skills have been enhanced as well as my problem-solving skills from having to think of solutions to customer complaints and issues that may arise in the store as fast as possible.

Good

Typical day at work Management put a pressure on targets Good money but hard work Strange culture between employees Fight for hours Flexible time shifts

Stressful and pressure

Under stress constantly , poor hours , 3 things 1 person , always under time pressure , not enough staff on shifts , heavy lifting every day , early starts late finishes

Dynamic environment that is faced paced

Dynamic and faced paced work environment that requires collaborative and team efforts to run the store with efficiency. Excellent management that provide thorough training for all staff thereby providing opportunities for staff growth, development and promotion.

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement