Lidl

Lidl Work-life balance reviews

Well paid with opportunities to progress. No work life balance and a fast paced stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Good Salary, Company car, good exposure to managing
Cons
No work life balance. Working with limited resources. No proper support from area managers
They send you to different stores. I get called 4 to 5 times on my days off. There is zero work life balance. Anything you do wrong they will put you under investigation. There's no training and high expectations. Everyone talks behind eachothers backs, management takes everything personally and never trys to meet your needs. They pick favourites and treat them well. I've often worked 4, 12 hour shifts in a row. And only got a 1 hour or half hour break. The contract is also completely false most of it isn't true
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hour's, no breaks, 5am start, 1am finish.
Pay is at the top level for Project Managers, however the hours to earn this mean that on a per hour basis you are no better than a regular store worker. Lack of holiday cover means that your tasks remain untouched while away and you are expected to spend as long as possible to catch up on this. Progression is good if you have joined through a graduate program, otherwise members of the team with years of knowledge are passed over.
Pros
Salary, gym on site
Cons
Long Hours, lack of opportunities
Your roster can always change ,get called at any time to change your working hours , shifts cancelled if management feels like it ,get sent home early if store isn't doing good enough ,never know what time your break will be ,only get a hour break over 12 hours ,once started at 5am and got a break at 1 PM and finished at 3 pm ,if you use canteen your break could be interrupted to go on till
constant pressure to work overtime for free, threatened job security, bullied staff into procedures that didn't benefit them. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
great salary
Cons
long hours, unnecessary pressure and negative reinforcement
I have never received a feedback on my work. I started working and I thought I was going to learn a little about everything and take turns in the tasks, but after 1 month they put me in the till and I couldn't get out of there and learn more things.They will not prepare the schedules for you in advance (they should give them 3 weeks in advance) but once I was only able to access my schedule a few days before and it was only for 1 week. So you can't make any plans or make doctor appointments if you need to.There's no communication. There are many bosses but none ever knows how to give you the information you need and hardly ever has time for it.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of communication
Extremely militaristic in their approach to work. Not given reasonable amount of time to complete tasks. 'Work smarter, not harder' is a favourite expression used by upper management. You are given tacit approval to cut corners in order to get tasks done, but if anything goes wrong you will be heavily reprimanded or fired by the same upper management. Upper management will absolve themselves of any responsibility if there are issues or complaints made. Retail staff are at the coal face and must suffer the consequences when things don't go according to plan e.g work longer hours than planned, appease disgruntled customers, forgo lunch breaks etc. At store level the work culture is rotten to the core, my experience is that nobody enjoys working in the Lidl retail environment. It is a very hostile work environment and I would not recommend working for this organisation.
Pros
No pros. No work-life balance
Cons
Long hours, limited opportunities for career advancement, little to no adequate training.
Long hours but rewarding Roster was fair but mostly evening or close shift One site with no parking was an issue and other than that good place to work if you have a good team
Do you enjoy working extremely erratic hours? Do you enjoy being treated like a real prisoner? Enjoy working long hours from early at 3.30am until evening and only leaving when told to, regardless of your set hours? Never receiving your overtime owed, break your spirit and say goodbye to your personal life and loved ones, join Lidls they will give you a futuristic slavery experience at your cost, and toss you out in the dirt when you are all burnt out,
Pros
You get a lunch break to rethink your lifes choices.
Cons
Whey to many hidden cons to explain, do not join Lidls, its not fair on you or your family.
It can be hard theymust she how u work under preassure, it can be tough as u stay late cause store closes at 10pm.overall good payment.lot of overtime if u want.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Worst place to work. Place is understaffed with a high staff turnover. Management are not organised. A female deputy store manager is rude and arrogant and has no self respect or manners towards staff at all. It is surprising she still has a job in the store. This job has made me ill, I have lost a lot of weight due to stress and have been ill regularly due to working here. Your health is more important than this job! The way myself and others were treated in there is beyond a joke. To have money thrown at you, to be spoken to rudely and looked down upon. The standard for any Lidl store. There is a serious problem with lack of communication in this store. The shifts are very long and they do not appreciate favours or you covering shifts. The stuff you put up with in that place isn't worth the money you are paid. Breaks are a joke there is no structure! You could go hours and hours without a break and management DO NOT care. Myself and another temporary colleague were badly treated by staff here and bullied physically and mentally. I was working one day 9.30-4pm and did not get a break until 2.10pm and to be told ' when we get the bakery sorted you can get your break'. How is running the bakery more important than an employee who is starving and has very little energy to serve customers? If you're lucky enough you'll be trained in the bakery. You will be used for the shifts that people don't want to do. Bakery is very pressurising and tbh I don't see the point in learning how to do it, it's not a thing that'll get you through life working in Lidl bakery. Management constantly - more...
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hours, treated badly, rude staff, rundown/ill
Good pay that's the only positive, rest are all negatives ,working 6,8 or even 10 hours without a break then told to take your break when you finished your shift,and you never have a finish time ,you get to finish work when you are told to go home,will leave you sitting on till for 8 hours straight . Will give you no protection from customers you as the employee will always be wrong. Constantly
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks no finish time no requested days off spoken down to by manager
Brutal company who don’t mind there staff , only a number there , no training , no development, and all fake . No work life balance and punished for been sick .
Pros
No pros
Cons
Poor management
Lidl is okay if you are looking for a job that pays well as they do they pay quite well for retail and have decent pay increases. However, expect long hours, no talking on shifts, hours changed constantly with zero notice, weekly tests to remember a long list of PLUs, and a management approach that borders on mental bullying and abuse. Their approach is to simply throw you into the deep end and then complain if you can't swim. There are some nice staff, but sadly management really need actual training on how to treat their staff like people instead of dirt. Would recommend short-term while looking for a better job and to save some money, but certainly not as a long-term career.
Pros
Good pay and plenty of overtime
Cons
Very bad management; zero training; no social life
Bad hours you'll be kept on the back shift for a very long time and mostly on one section there is no rotation at all which is stupid.There is not enough pickers so sometimes you might even do 14 hour shift finish at 2-3 at night and tht might continue for the whole week when business is bussy.
Excellent company for internally training their staff. Hours can be long when in management but well worth it. Highly pressurised at times but like any retail job this passes.
Great fast paced company for career oriented people. You get to work with most departments and are given a high level of responsibility. I would recommend it for those that are very career oriented.
Great culture and fun between colleagues. Working hours were a bit ridiculous, i.e. 1pm-11pm but sometimes you suddenly get asked (an hour prior to the end of your shift) go up to 1 am or even 3 am during Xmas period. Decent pay when compared to similar companies
When I started in lidl I thought it was impossible but when I settled into the swing of the the fast pase busy days it was easy it becomes second nature.
I was working in company for 9 years and got different experience in company working in different stores, education and different positions. In Lidl they have strong management which have to meet their KPIs every week, these leads to increased performance and competitive salaries. Its a big teamwork with good atmosphere at work. Management supports you in different aspects in your life, including training, education, preferable working shifts and career opportuinities.
Enjoyed the relaxed yet fast paced and team dynamic . Very good company structure . Good hours and flexible shift times and great customer staff repour .
  1. Work-Life Balance