Lidl

Ireland265 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Found 146 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,366 reviews

Stressful depending on the manager

I’ve worked here for 3 years, every manager has a different style of doing things. Some managers will try to get you to do different jobs around the shop and others will leave you on the till for your entire 10 hour shift. It’s an extremely fast paced job and it’s learn on the spot. I didn’t receive much training and was put on the till on my first day with no help. The money is good but it can be a toxic environment. Most stores will provide the rota for 3 weeks in advance but in my store the manager left the rota till the very last minute each week only posting it on the Thursday for the following week. My manager would also ignore all texts so communication was difficult.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Long hours, not guaranteed shifts

Very fast faced

Very fast place to work, not much of a work culture, feel like you work alone as you don’t ever talk to anyone, the hours are long and hard at times, but management are nice and will give you time off for occasions when you need it

Pros

More than minimum pay

Cons

Long hours, monthly pay

Intense and long hours

Not for the faint hearted, early morning starts, very long hours and you're gonna be getting a phone call on your day off to come in or help another store. Play ball with them and you could potentially be rewarded but you will have to stick with the company for a long time til you see any benefits.

Pros

Best paying retailer

Cons

Long hours, never a weekend off, sometimes work 9-13 days in a row

Good for progression

Flexible workimg hours, on site canteen, company car.Moving from operations to head office the work becomes too slow but the work life balance improves.

Is ok

Ok place to work, all depends which RDC you work for.Xmass €50 Lidl gift card bonus is a joke.2 month's xmass songs nonstop, drives staff crazy.Depends on your store Manager - you might forget about weekend's. Plan your days of month in advance

Pros

Good pay, friendly staff

Cons

Xmass songs for 2 month's nonstop. Takes to long to fix a issues with the building

Toxic environment

Understaffed, toxic, demanding customers, stress and pushing management! Long hours, very stressful job!No work, life balance! Just stay way, from this company! Maybe better outside Dublin!

Pros

Job security

Cons

Stressful, late nights and early mornings

When they say "faced paced work environment" they actually mean you are constantly under pressure to get things done. They want things done at lighting fast pace and it is an awful struggle to keep up. You always feel like you're not good enough. Managers are always up the walls trying to get things done. Very early morning shifts (you have to wake up at 4am in the morning or earlier to start your 5am shift) plus very late nights quite often. The rota says you'll be finished by 10:30pm but this is BS. You could be there till 3am in the morning or on a very good day 11pm. They are constantly understaffed with people calling in sick plus the incredible work load you have already, even if everyone is in its still so much to doBreaks are a joke; you must take your break when you are told even if you have only been in for 2 hours of your 10-hour shift. They also want you to clock out a minute before the clock hits the hour so they are by law only entitled to give you a certain amount of break time. For example, if you had an 8-hour shift, they would want to you clock out at 7 hours and 59 minutes so you don't have an hour break, you have a 30 minute one instead. I once did a 9-hour shift with no break because my rota only had me in for 5 hours (so 4 hours 59 minutes, aka not entitled to a break) and I was there till 3am (6pm-3am, 9 hours). I must add that your breaks are not paid for so if you don't have a break, you are paid accordingly, none the less its terrible, you are recked tired. Also, if you have to watch a video as part of your training then they expect you to do it during -

Pros

Good pay, sometimes you get free food from the bakery

Cons

In ridiculously early, often stay very late. Breaks are a joke. Under staffed, always under pressure. No staff wifi

Hard but very productive environment

Depends on management and the store, every store amd managers are different. It is a very hard work but they appreciate that and will reward hard workers.

Pros

Wages, different benefits, appreciation for hard work

Cons

Sometimes long hours, hard work

Productive workplace

I just love my store and my timLovely management. It’s hard job but every day is different. If you honestly work than is no problem. In one word Im happy to be part of Lidl family.

Fun place

Good place to work. Good pay, nice peoples. If you work and mind your own bussines everything is ok. It is the best warehouse i worked. Do not listen peoples that say it is a bad place ( if you are lazy , all the places you work are not good ).

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Probably the worst company I have worked for

I have came from many retail jobs into my role in Lidl and it was honestly the worst week that I had working.Management were unfriendly and the staff were mostly cold and unwelcoming. I had to suffer harassment and was forced to cover shifts I politely declined multiple times as I was happy enough just doing my 20hrs, only to be told “that’s not how it works here” after I said I wasn’t happy to cover the shifts.All in all, awful company, low morale, overworked staff, pay is alright but they deliberately hire less staff so they can squeeze everything out of a smaller team which leads to long hours and too much pressure. Stay away.

Pros

The money is okay but when you take all the things you have to suffer it’s not really that great.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, stressful situations to be in whether it’s with customers or with staff.

Long dull hours in an unrewarding workplace

Started off great and enthusiastic with 40 hours a week when I started off, only negative is you start at 5am most mornings with a highly stressful task of doing the bakery. The job is very repetitive and when you’re on tills all the time once you’re trained in it is incredibly draining. Having to deal with arrogant and rude customer complaints and being harassed also comes with the job and it’s expected to happen, so you must be able to take it in your stride.

Pros

Sunday pay and early morning pay is extra

Cons

Hours always change

Horrendous for such a menial job.

No training at all provided to staff. Figure it out or be spoken to like a bold child and ridiculed. Buddy culture n the workplace. Friends of managers given nearly all weekends off while youre required to forego any kind of life outside work by working ridiculous shifts all weekend eg. start time of 1 and finish at closing which is 11 but realistically be luck to finish at 12. Never finish at rostered time always made to stay back and texted to come in early at 03:00 some days which is a joke. Management are also useless. Very unapproachable and stand-offish. Only time they want to speak with certain staff is to ridicule them. All in all they pay good for retail but only if you're willing to give up any kind of life outside of work, be stressed and overloaded with tasks and be spoken to like dirt.

Pros

Money is ok.

Cons

No training/ Bullying culture/ Ridiculous rosters

Only good part is the money

They send you to different stores. I get called 4 to 5 times on my days off. There is zero work life balance. Anything you do wrong they will put you under investigation. There's no training and high expectations. Everyone talks behind eachothers backs, management takes everything personally and never trys to meet your needs. They pick favourites and treat them well. I've often worked 4, 12 hour shifts in a row. And only got a 1 hour or half hour break. The contract is also completely false most of it isn't true

Pros

Money

Cons

Long hour's, no breaks, 5am start, 1am finish.

Good Salary but long hours

Pay is at the top level for Project Managers, however the hours to earn this mean that on a per hour basis you are no better than a regular store worker. Lack of holiday cover means that your tasks remain untouched while away and you are expected to spend as long as possible to catch up on this. Progression is good if you have joined through a graduate program, otherwise members of the team with years of knowledge are passed over.

Pros

Salary, gym on site

Cons

Long Hours, lack of opportunities

work

Your roster can always change ,get called at any time to change your working hours , shifts cancelled if management feels like it ,get sent home early if store isn't doing good enough ,never know what time your break will be ,only get a hour break over 12 hours ,once started at 5am and got a break at 1 PM and finished at 3 pm ,if you use canteen your break could be interrupted to go on till

negative workplace, extreme pressure culture

constant pressure to work overtime for free, threatened job security, bullied staff into procedures that didn't benefit them. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

great salary

Cons

long hours, unnecessary pressure and negative reinforcement

Well Paid but you work in return.

Well paid with opportunities to progress. No work life balance and a fast paced stressful environment to work in.

Pros

Good Salary, Company car, good exposure to managing

Cons

No work life balance. Working with limited resources. No proper support from area managers

Lack of communication

I have never received a feedback on my work. I started working and I thought I was going to learn a little about everything and take turns in the tasks, but after 1 month they put me in the till and I couldn't get out of there and learn more things.They will not prepare the schedules for you in advance (they should give them 3 weeks in advance) but once I was only able to access my schedule a few days before and it was only for 1 week. So you can't make any plans or make doctor appointments if you need to.There's no communication. There are many bosses but none ever knows how to give you the information you need and hardly ever has time for it.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Lack of communication

Militaristic, horrible work culture, no work/life balance

Extremely militaristic in their approach to work. Not given reasonable amount of time to complete tasks. 'Work smarter, not harder' is a favourite expression used by upper management. You are given tacit approval to cut corners in order to get tasks done, but if anything goes wrong you will be heavily reprimanded or fired by the same upper management. Upper management will absolve themselves of any responsibility if there are issues or complaints made. Retail staff are at the coal face and must suffer the consequences when things don't go according to plan e.g work longer hours than planned, appease disgruntled customers, forgo lunch breaks etc. At store level the work culture is rotten to the core, my experience is that nobody enjoys working in the Lidl retail environment. It is a very hostile work environment and I would not recommend working for this organisation.

Pros

No pros. No work-life balance

Cons

Long hours, limited opportunities for career advancement, little to no adequate training.

Was ok

Long hours but rewarding Roster was fair but mostly evening or close shift One site with no parking was an issue and other than that good place to work if you have a good team

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement