Lidl

Lidl Work-life balance reviews

Well paid with opportunities to progress. No work life balance and a fast paced stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Good Salary, Company car, good exposure to managing
Cons
No work life balance. Working with limited resources. No proper support from area managers
If you are willing to put your life on hold and earn some good money this is the job for you! Long hours at times unsociable, extremely physical workload in somewhat unrealistic time constraints
Typical day at work is hard day. I have learned how to deal with customers to make them happy. Workplace culture is fine. THe hardest part ofo the job is to make customer happy.
Long hours no Job security poor culture no support from management no communication no training no Job support learned very little high staff turnover
I have worked with Lidl Ireland for over 1 year and i really enjoyed my time working for the company. My day would usually consist of taking in orders and organising the warehouse upon delivery.
Pros
Great attitude in store
Cons
Pays very good per hour but only managerial positions are on full time contract. Staff usually get a 10-30 hours contract. Starters on lower hours contract. Hours could vary from very short days to very long days. There could be very low hours one week and very high another. Gets unsocial able at times also no job security as most people can't make a living on 10-20 hours a weeks. As much as it looks like they have a good system for training out of a few day not much training provided. New staff almost immediately expected to hit same targets as staff who are there for years. Staff are expected to follow strict guidelines but none is trained enough to know what they are exactly. The targets are reachable but in an ideal world's ideal scenarios but as we don't live in an ideal world it makes them borderline unrealistic therefore most days things fall behind or done quantity over quality way. Staff are good even management only few exceptions can't really complain about them but it seems like due to targets set on the edge of possibility you can get told off anytime for something. It seems that Management as it goes down from top to bottom everyone tells off everyone and no appraisals given which seems to be Lidl's culture in Ireland. I think its great that you work harder and in faster pace while you have to watch quality and customer service as well but due to the above culture it gets out of hand and causes to much stress. Advise for top management don't forget pushing for the extra income in short term could cause loss in the long run. Give lieu way for unforeseen - more...
Pros
Salary, people are nice
Cons
Lack of training, stress, lack of appraisal
No work life balance No shift rotation including weekends therefore no life. Management are on another level talking down to employees. If your not management you wont be involved in anything, even conversations. You would work a 10 hour shift and after starting your shift an hour later you are sent on break leaving you 8 to 9 hours without a break and food. Higher management do not care no point in complaining. Constantly breaking legal requirements eg. an 11 to 12 hour gap between shifts. Often found myself working 10 days in a row. Do not dare ask a question as you will recieve abuse. No training given to new staff. Building and moving tables, shelves, heavy items and stock in and of warehouses and freezers etc. That could be twice the average persons bodyweight. No health and safety. My first 3 months were ok my last 9 to 10 months were a nightmare.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Bad management, No shift rotation, awful treatment by management, no life at all I never seen my kid or partner, No consideration for staff, all around bad place to work
I worked in Lidl for 5 years. Overall I enjoyed it I learned a lot not only about retail but about myself and my work ethic during my time there. Nice place to work. Would recommend to anyone who wishes to work in a fast paced environment
Pros
Good wages
Cons
good job,where i could doing different task,since restock,to salesman, it was a serious and a demanding company, i enjoyed worked there, the bad side i think it´s clean, at the end of the day
Left in 2012 after 3 years of torture. Still to this day I count this as the worst experience of my life. They push you beyond belief, to actual tears most days. Less then zero work life balance, could do 12 days in a row, no regard for law in this matter. I experienced very sly upper management, on occasion they would even blantanly lie to save their own nose; you spend most of the time defending yourself. Staff are to blame for everything, even though they work themself to the bone.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Very hard, extremely long hours, all managers are contracted for 48h and are often expect to commute long distances on top. Plus many work more off the clock. Culture is awful, there are small changes in right direction being attempted but not much real difference made, Most people are there for money only. Managers are put in golden handcuffs, being paid well, but with their confidence being crushed on a daily basis. Many of them are of foreign origin and dont have suffiecient language skills or education to seek good employment elsewhere, which perfectly suit the company. After few years many of them become sick, back injuries are super common, no suprise when people work 12h shifts every day.
Pros
good wage and benefits
Cons
everything else
Lidl is a great place to develop a retail knowledge. While it is an extremely tough job, it is also very rewarding. I have enjoyed my time with Lidl but now feel the need to look elsewhere to try establish a better work life balance.
Pros
salary
Cons
not for everyone, store managment staff often frustrated due to pressure from higher managment. if one wants to move up it needs to deal with it. carrot is often offered but rarely delivered.
Pros
salary, i guess
Cons
no work life balance for store managment positions
hard work, you had to be fast and efficient, lots of long hours, few breaks, staff not friendly, huge pressure load, cleaning/security guard as well sales assistant for the shop is unacceptable, huge racism problem with this company
Pros
pay
Cons
A very fast paced environment.Process driven roles.Rigid systems structure.Varied challenges daily .Moving technically in the right direction.will improve over time
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long Hours
working for lidl is tough but rewarding. You must be wiling to work part of a team but also capable of working on your own. A high level of professionalism is expected combined with the customer first attitude.
Pros
good wage
Cons
Good place to work, but takes a lot of your life time. Hard to get well work life balance. Distance from home to work is big, cost extra time of your life time.
Pros
Pensions and health insurance benefits
Cons
No consistency with work times.
Each worker must be able to work everywhere. such as the till the floor and back store. I became very hardworking due to working in Lidl. I worked long hours and it payed off
Pros
experience
Cons
Great job if you are willing to make your live a Lidl life. Spent more time in that kip over Christmas than I did at home with my family. They will work you like a dog if you are new because all the employees with contracts are lazy and can't be fired apparently. You will be told to pick 250 boxes an hour which is against h+s manual handling forget about it. There is fruit pallets in there that are over 6 ft in height and you have to pick them which means lifting above shoulder height. Managers are on a power trip and don't care about you but they have these "team talks" and other rubbish to make you think they care. Terrible place to work .. monthly pay and your first month you will only be paid for 20 hour weeks after doing a full month in hand
Pros
Good canteen, most colleagues are nice
Cons
Long hours, always being guilt tripped into overtime, managers haven't a clue
Work hard and get well paid. excellent benefits and training provided. Lots of opportunities to progress if you put in the work and are flexible. You will work very hard here.
Fantastic opportunities for staff. Excellent training and internal progression. Treat all staff very well and great overall culture in the organisation.
  1. Work-Life Balance