Lidl

Ireland265 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Found 146 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,366 reviews

Stressful depending on the manager

I’ve worked here for 3 years, every manager has a different style of doing things. Some managers will try to get you to do different jobs around the shop and others will leave you on the till for your entire 10 hour shift. It’s an extremely fast paced job and it’s learn on the spot. I didn’t receive much training and was put on the till on my first day with no help. The money is good but it can be a toxic environment. Most stores will provide the rota for 3 weeks in advance but in my store the manager left the rota till the very last minute each week only posting it on the Thursday for the following week. My manager would also ignore all texts so communication was difficult.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Long hours, not guaranteed shifts

not good work permanently

No team work Not safe place to work A lot of strange changes in working time Bad treatment of employees by superiors good pay for an hour but at the moment he is doing everything that would not be overtime, hence the lack of hours

Pros

No pay for brake

Cons

Hard work for a great salary

Lidl is a great place if you are passionate about retail and want to progress. If you are looking for an easy job do not apply here. They run an extremely lean operation meaning staff are expected to be as productive as possible and you will always be busy. Hours are long and unless you are on a management salary hours are not guaranteed above your contract hours which can start from 10 hours per week. Work life balance here is quite bad.

Pros

great pay and benefits

Cons

long, unsociable hours.

Loved working here, but it was hard

Worked for Lidl 2002/2004. I sold my soul for the company. If ye want to work hard, and not have any real contact with family or friends go for it. I once got a phone call in Portugal about something that had gone wrong when I wasnt there. The Irish workers don't get the ethics of Lidl. It is hard work, you don't sit on your hole each day It takes over... It's obsessional.. it's hard work. Ye never get out on time. It's never manned properly either.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

No time to spend it

Nightmare

I worked there as a deputy manager was thrown straight in the deep end. Normal shift should have been 12-10 pm. Most nights it was 12-12 pm. No training given expected to know everything without being shown. Staff taken advantage off. No break's given or not full amount of time. Just a horrible experience bearing in mind I have probably worked for the top 5 retailers in Europe. These joker's were expecting 3 people to close a huge store from 5 pm until closing and have the shop ready for the opening. Never seen anything like it before in my 15 years in retail.

Pros

Cons

Read my review.

Busy environment, always something to do

Lidl is a really fast paced working environment, you'll always have a task to do and sometimes it will feel like there aren't enough hours to get everything done!A typical day in job consists of working the tills, (Only the bare minimum of cashiers to service customers so always expect a queue)cleaning up any floor spills, carrying spoiled or damaged products to the back of house, baking and laying out the fresh bread, moving pallets, cashing up, if you're on the closing shift you don't get to go home until the work is done but you will be paid for every minute you work. the starting wage is about 11.50 euro an hour and this will increase every 12 months. Ideal for a first job but not much in terms of career advancement and they WILL call you on your days off when they are short-staffed there is no shortage of overtime.

Pros

good money per hour, lots of overtime available, easy to swap a shift

Cons

long hours - 11-9 shifts, can get out late when you are closing shop, trolley tests etc

worse company ever

Very unfriendly place to work, everyone always stressed and doing everything super faster by consequence very bad costumer service, . All the kind of bad things happen inside that company. Huge turn over of workers. All sort of bulling

Pros

never seen

Cons

everything

No life if you're a manager

If you are a dep/sm/som you will literally have no life but Lidl. Cut every corner possible, spare every expense and work management and staff to the bone. Any good managers get out of there quickly and it is evident in every store.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Work life balance is non existent

Great place for hardworkers

Great place to work if you want a secure job with good opportunities for advancement for hard workers. You get a good wage for the type of work. The staff in the my branch are all good people and hard workers. On the bad side there is an issue with hours being cut for staff to save money. Sometimes managers do not correctly allocate the staff shifts and sometimes one shift is left with more work than it is possible to get done on time. There is not enough training for the job. You have to learn as you go.

Terrible

Not somewhere I would ever want to work again. salary is competitive but you would literally have no life outside of work. bear in mind its 12 years since I worked there. I would hope things have changed since then

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours. work/life balance

Fast Paced Environment

Enjoyable if you enjoy tricky tasks, fast paced environment. Great progression evident. Work life balance is very tough Long hours and 5+ days a week if you are good at your job Be prepared to work hard

KPI driven enviroment, fast paced, great management team

A great company to work for. Salary and benefits package are extremely competitive in todays retailmarket. A fast growing retail company, with great opportunities for career progression.

So much to learn but lack of management support

Work can be very physical and stressful. New staff are expected to have the same outcome as the older staff. You have to be fully flexible to do the job from doing till,packing,baking and merchandising.

Pros

salary

Nice place to work

Timings are bit odd which doesn't suit me well. Secondly, it's very far from where I lived. Other than that every thing was alright. Lot of opportunities of carers progress ion into Lidl.

Ehhhhhh.... don't get wrapped up

Decent job that you have to take it for what it is. You are going to work hard and long hours. See through w haf ppl are telling you and understand everything has a reason. Don t get caught up in the brain washing that can take place.

Pros

Tons of training

Cons

Pay sometimes inaccurate

One of the best in retail industry

A very good employer giving you the opportunity to work in a very fast environment, excellent training and excellent opportunity to develop professionally (staff management, stock and orders, team work, etc).

Great salary and benefits, no work-life balance

If you are willing to put your life on hold and earn some good money this is the job for you! Long hours at times unsociable, extremely physical workload in somewhat unrealistic time constraints

Hard work.

Typical day at work is hard day. I have learned how to deal with customers to make them happy. Workplace culture is fine. THe hardest part ofo the job is to make customer happy.

Long hours no Job security poor culture no support from management no communication no training no Job support learned very little high staff turnover

friendly atmosphere, great team attitude

I have worked with Lidl Ireland for over 1 year and i really enjoyed my time working for the company. My day would usually consist of taking in orders and organising the warehouse upon delivery.

Pros

Great attitude in store

Cons

Good way of thinking bad implementation

Pays very good per hour but only managerial positions are on full time contract. Staff usually get a 10-30 hours contract. Starters on lower hours contract. Hours could vary from very short days to very long days. There could be very low hours one week and very high another. Gets unsocial able at times also no job security as most people can't make a living on 10-20 hours a weeks. As much as it looks like they have a good system for training out of a few day not much training provided. New staff almost immediately expected to hit same targets as staff who are there for years. Staff are expected to follow strict guidelines but none is trained enough to know what they are exactly. The targets are reachable but in an ideal world's ideal scenarios but as we don't live in an ideal world it makes them borderline unrealistic therefore most days things fall behind or done quantity over quality way. Staff are good even management only few exceptions can't really complain about them but it seems like due to targets set on the edge of possibility you can get told off anytime for something. It seems that Management as it goes down from top to bottom everyone tells off everyone and no appraisals given which seems to be Lidl's culture in Ireland. I think its great that you work harder and in faster pace while you have to watch quality and customer service as well but due to the above culture it gets out of hand and causes to much stress. Advise for top management don't forget pushing for the extra income in short term could cause loss in the long run. Give lieu way for unforeseen -

Pros

Salary, people are nice

Cons

Lack of training, stress, lack of appraisal

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Lidl
  • Work-life balance
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?