Lidl Employee Reviews

Horrible
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tipperary30 September 2017
I worked for LIDL and here are my observations:

Little to no relevant training is provided!

Everything is rushed from the day you start and it does not matter to management that you are new to the job, you are expected to be the same speed at everything as the people in the job ten years.

In the store I worked the management style was laissez faire; little to no direction or communication. One of the worst managers I have ever worked for or observed in any field!

I found that people working in the job had become robots who could only converse about LIDL life and not about much else. I guess that is the effect of such a regimented workplace!
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Monthly pay, unsociable hours, horrible culture
productivity
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athy, County Kildare16 August 2017
very busy place of work, have fun everyday with different people.
i learned how to be friendly and care for peoples needs.
management not bad and it depends on what you mean by management
just that you have to be responsible for everything
people around you all time
Pros
you have to be responsible for your lunch
Cons
fight for hours
No go!
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Numerous27 July 2017
Left in 2012 after 3 years of torture. Still to this day I count this as the worst experience of my life. They push you beyond belief, to actual tears most days. Less then zero work life balance, could do 12 days in a row, no regard for law in this matter. I experienced very sly upper management, on occasion they would even blantanly lie to save their own nose; you spend most of the time defending yourself. Staff are to blame for everything, even though they work themself to the bone.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Extremely hard, draining, no life work balance
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ireland20 July 2017
Very hard, extremely long hours, all managers are contracted for 48h and are often expect to commute long distances on top. Plus many work more off the clock. Culture is awful, there are small changes in right direction being attempted but not much real difference made, Most people are there for money only. Managers are put in golden handcuffs, being paid well, but with their confidence being crushed on a daily basis. Many of them are of foreign origin and dont have suffiecient language skills or education to seek good employment elsewhere, which perfectly suit the company.
After few years many of them become sick, back injuries are super common, no suprise when people work 12h shifts every day.
Pros
good wage and benefits
Cons
everything else
Tough but rewarding
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Cork4 May 2017
Lidl is a great place to develop a retail knowledge. While it is an extremely tough job, it is also very rewarding. I have enjoyed my time with Lidl but now feel the need to look elsewhere to try establish a better work life balance.
Pros
salary
Draining work.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Munster26 April 2017
Been workin as a sales assistant for almost 3 years now. Dont like one bit but keep staying because the hourly rate is really good. If youre a man you do great because then you wont be stuck at the tills 6 hrs a day. No chance given for a woman to do pack out or anything elsr than bakery. Only thing i enjoy is the bakery, then at least i get off from the tills for couple hours.
Management is terrible. No organisation skills what so ever and everything is always a big panic and chaos. Very hard to work. You also get abused verbally by the customers daily because following "company policies" like fast checkout scanning etc..
Pros
Good hour rate
Cons
Bad managment. Only good job for a man. Women ignored.
pressure and unrealistic excpectations on store managment
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cork24 April 2017
not for everyone, store managment staff often frustrated due to pressure from higher managment. if one wants to move up it needs to deal with it. carrot is often offered but rarely delivered.
Pros
salary, i guess
Cons
no work life balance for store managment positions
productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  IE20 April 2017
I am working full time in a fast pace environment meeting targets on the hour everyday. I work as a team and sometime work on my own which I have to make my own decisions. My day in work is a different day everyday. I love working with Customers and solving some issues they might have and then to see them happy. There is no real hard part to my job' as long as you have organisational skills and good Customer Service and team relations your job is so enjoyable for everyone.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
unsocialable hours
typical day at work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare10 April 2017
hard work, you had to be fast and efficient, lots of long hours, few breaks, staff not friendly, huge pressure load, cleaning/security guard as well sales assistant for the shop is unacceptable, huge racism problem with this company
Pros
pay
Good Training
Trainee Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Maynooth, County Kildare5 April 2017
I found there to be a lot of good training at Lidl, they provide all the tools and theory to make sure you can carry out your duties as best as possible.
Lidl
Warehouse Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare26 March 2017
A very fast paced environment.Process driven roles.Rigid systems structure.Varied challenges daily .Moving technically in the right direction.will improve over time
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long Hours
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin22 March 2017
I had a lot to learn during my work here.
A challenging job due as you do quite a bit of everything from operating checkouts to stocking shelves and to be done within certain speeds, but I learned a lot about the importance of working as a team.Learned a lot of new skills including cash handling, baking, inventory, stock taking, dealing with costumers and working as a member of a driven team.
Cons
Long late shifts
Work place with a lot of opportunities
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Carrickmacross, County Monaghan10 March 2017
Good place to work, but takes a lot of your life time. Hard to get well work life balance. Distance from home to work is big, cost extra time of your life time.
Pros
Pensions and health insurance benefits
Cons
No consistency with work times.
I had to learn every required skills to work in lidl
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick2 March 2017
Each worker must be able to work everywhere. such as the till the floor and back store. I became very hardworking due to working in Lidl. I worked long hours and it payed off
Pros
experience
Worst place I've ever worked
Warehouse Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 February 2017
Great job if you are willing to make your live a Lidl life.
Spent more time in that kip over Christmas than I did at home with my family.
They will work you like a dog if you are new because all the employees with contracts are lazy and can't be fired apparently.
You will be told to pick 250 boxes an hour which is against h+s manual handling forget about it.
There is fruit pallets in there that are over 6 ft in height and you have to pick them which means lifting above shoulder height.
Managers are on a power trip and don't care about you but they have these "team talks" and other rubbish to make you think they care.
Terrible place to work .. monthly pay and your first month you will only be paid for 20 hour weeks after doing a full month in hand
Pros
Good canteen, most colleagues are nice
Cons
Long hours, always being guilt tripped into overtime, managers haven't a clue
Great job satisfaction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare15 February 2017
Work hard and get well paid. excellent benefits and training provided. Lots of opportunities to progress if you put in the work and are flexible. You will work very hard here.
Great Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare15 February 2017
Fantastic opportunities for staff. Excellent training and internal progression. Treat all staff very well and great overall culture in the organisation.
Job security and good pay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands12 February 2017
Expect hard work with even harder targets to be met. Senior management can be very unrealistic in their expectations and can be very hard on store management teams.
Pros
Good pay with good benefits
Cons
Long hours and senior management can be hard to work with
best job ever
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castlebar, County Mayo3 February 2017
The colleagues were the best part of the jobs. However, the support from some of the managements was also good
Working hours were very bad as there were some very early and late shifts. Also the company is expecting from you to sweat a lot while working.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers also
Cons
hard work
Poor management, terrible work life balance, zero room for career progression
no (Former Employee) –  Ireland31 January 2017
Poor management, terrible work life balance, zero room for career progression, nepotism practiced on daily basis. Very negative culture, people not respected or appreciated for overtime, long hours etc. Unfair process of promotions. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Gym in work building
Cons
Long work hours, poor work life balance, poor management practices, nepotism practiced on daily basis, lack of respect for colleagues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.