Maldron Hotel
Maldron Hotel Employee Review

nice place to work

12 August 2016
A typical day would start at 6:00am i would turn on all equipment , when heated the pastry's are first to go into the oven with bread rolls and scones. while they bake i start to prep and cook the buffet breakfast which included sausage, bacon, pudding, scramble eggs, saute mushroom , beans, saute potato and grilled tomato, i would then place all food in the self service bain marie, and keep an eye on the levels, after this i would complete all HASSAP and check the daily delivery. after this i would then prepare the roast, the fish of the day and the dish of the day, and also make the soup for the day, i also have a young commi chef working with me who dose be doing prep and restocking the breakfast fridges and filling the fridges for the upcoming lunch, so i must keep an eye that she is completing all her tasks. once lunch is cooked etc i then do the lunch service with one other chef, after lunch about 3:00 this is the morning shift over. the evening shift: check fridges make sure all fully stocked and prep back up is all complete, cook or prep what ever you are missing , there might be bus tours/groups you must prepare for while still doing service for evening, also cleaning, hassap etc all my co workers gave 100 per cent and i have made lots of friends there. There are no really hard parts to the jobs just the normal stress that may come with working in a busy kitchen. the most enjoyable part was going in and learning how a hotel kitchen worked this was my first hotel.
4.0Job security/advancement
Pros
free lunch, free gym, free parking
Cons
split shifts
7 July 2019
Same role
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) - County Galway
Worked in a Maldron in co galway few years ago, the management only cared about cutting hours and over working the people that were on duty. Very poor place overall. General staff were nice to work with but thats where it stops!
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Long hours no overtime pay, meals taking out of wages even if you didnt get a break or lunch.
15 May 2019
Same location
Accommodation assistant (Former Employee) - Galway
The work was hard. Lots of rooms. 30 minutes for a departure and 15 minutes for a stay over. Lunch breaks are unpaid but lunch is provided. My manager was fantastic. Always trying to help you have your rooms finished on time. Would work there again.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Minimum wage
28 April 2019
Same location
Waitress/Barista (Former Employee) - Galway
I was only there for a short time because I was only there for work experience for school. But I learnt a lot of good skills I will use in the future.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Working with new people