Marks and Spencer

Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Managment are a bit naggy. Can be fun talking and communicating with colleagues. Nicest food on earth. Wouldn't mind working there again except for the naggy managers.
When I started back in 1996 Marks and Spencer was a great place to work. But I have seen a lot of changes over the years. Management get swapped from shop to shop. Then they try to make a name for themselves by changing or bringing in a new rule to please the higher management. I found over the years they were putting more pressure on the staff.
Pros
Early morning suppliment & a free breakfast when you started before 7am.
Cons
Management not as nice as they use to be, under a lot of strees.
I worked with some lovely people had my ups and downs like any other job. Went into work every day did my work and came home. The work was hard but you get used to it.
Pros
Missing all of my friends .
Cons
When you would give it your all and some people would not give a helping hand .
I enjoyed my month working in Marks and Spencers. I thought the training was really good and practical. The other staff members were really helpful and they taught their staff how to give good customer service. A typical day would begin on the till. This was pretty simple as I was trained in using the till before. If there is any issue there is a button you can press and a staff member can come over and help. I learned the importance of customer service and I learned to take pride in my job. I also learned how to take initiative when I can. The management was excellent as well. There was more than one manager at each section and all of them were helpful. The workplace culture was also the best culture I have been in in work. Helpful staff and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I really miss it. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you get recognised for your hard work. I was rewarded for customer service which was great. I also loved interacting with the customers and other staff. Overall it is a great job for students and it gives you real life experience while also helping you. Ill really miss it and I would love to work there again
Pros
Staff discount, helpful staff, food available at breaks
Cons
Short time working
Marks and Spencer is a great place to work, from the very first day you get staff members talking to you like you've been there for a long time. The training process is easy and equips you for the position you applied for. Which makes it easy on the shop floor when you are serving customers you get to use the skills and knowledge from the training to give the best to customers.
Nice place to work staff and management are very nice I have not worked long in this place good environment you get good benefits of you like working here it's for you
Communication was the biggest error whilst working for the company. You're also punished for minor things, including being out ill, even if you present a medical certificate you are punished. Rare flexibility in shifts, took a long time and a lot of chasing to get a swap etc. Fine for a temp Christmas/Summer position, wouldn't recommend long term.
Good company to work for , excellent benefits and competitive salary , Good Company to learn about Textile and Food sections, Good support from Management High Standards of Customer Service demanded through KPIs
Good job with good people and fair pay over all , really enjoyed working there and boosting my customer service skills and learning a lot about managing stock
Pay is ok. It is not ideal. I would recommend for a college job also management are lovely expect a certain few as always in every job. Customers are usually lovely
Spent 15+ years with the company. The star aligned and it was time to change career. Leaving behind the benefits of discount , bonuses and pension made the decision difficult.
Marks and Spencer is a good place to work and learn to tolerate and deal with people from all works of life. I built on my communication skill by listening to customers .
I feel as though the temporary staff are unfairly treated in this job as the management don’t feel as if they need to be as friendly to temporary staff because they will be gone before their term is finished. In saying that all the full time staff are very friendly and in my opinion not as good as temporary staff as they were much older and needed a lot of help from us in preparing the shop floor.
Great company to work for, good pay very friendly staff. I really enjoyed my time working with them. I worked part time on the customer services desk and also had experience working in different sections of the shop.
There was always something to do stock control, merchandise your department, customer focus always, great staff, great management, cleaning, working through the night to remodel whole departments, great incentives from the business, charity fundraising, staff parties to keep moral in store. Overall a great place to work I loved it.
A typical day starts at 6.30am and ends at 4.30pm.I was on a 4 day week which starts with deliveries in and empties out on loading bay.Breaking stock down into sections in coldroom and organising dates.Been available for any mishaps on floor or with any make of equipment changes or fix.Maintaining backstage areas and floor areas by keeping them clean and safe.Helping customers enjoy there shopping experience and helping with there goods when needed.To be honest i never found any part of my job hard at all.Been asked to do something out of the ordinary was so enjoyable as i would get it done.
Pros
free early morning breakfast
Cons
I took redundancy, still think about that.
A great company to work for and with. There are always new opportunities to learn new skills and work in new areas. The managers are super friendly and open to helping you grow as a representative of M&S
I enjoyed working in Mark's and Spencers my co workers where all nice and easy to work with, the hours suited me well from my interviewer to my trainer where all so nice I would like to work with the company again
Have to be willing to work hard. Can be stressful at times but always someone there to back you up when needed. Great training. Over all a great place to work.
Company great to work for.. Management great. Some staff were nice to work with some were not ' but that's in every job.. Would recommend this company to anyone.
Very fast paced job, well known in the retail Industry with a high reputation. This is reflected in the staff and how they deal with customers. Good work culture
  1. Employee reviews