Marriott International, Inc.
Marriott International, Inc. Employee Review

My time as a Marriott Employee

3 August 2020
Was skeptical to work for another large corporation, seeing as most large organizations focus more on the bottom line then the people working to help reach it. When I was approached by Marriott I decided to work with them because they seemed different. They seemed to promote a healthy, encouraging environment intent on building future leaders. It does not. They had great benefits, decent pay, reasonable schedule all the things you want and need but with it comes an environment that punishes those who speak out about conflicting corporate messages and promotes those who are willing to go along with status quo. My hours were cut from 30 to 28.5, just enough that I no longer qualified for insurance. I wasn’t informed of this until I tried to use my benefits. When brought to their attention I was blamed for not keeping track. Had to wait 90 days for benefits. Difficulties existed for anyone who spoke out against methods not in line with company philosophy. I was considered a difficult employee who had expectations of my leadership and as a result coincidentally received a customer complaint about my work performance, specifically my attitude towards guests. If you are the kind of person who can just work a job, this could be a great fit for you. Just don’t try to change, improve, or contribute anything you’ll do just fine. If you’re not a robot and you have a standard you might be able to navigate through. I was not one of those people, better luck next time.
Pros
They had great benefits, decent pay, reasonable schedule, fantastic team mates, interesting and entertaining guests
Cons
poor middle management, culture of entitlement amongst guests, no back-up from managers
11 June 2020
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) - Cork
Marriott is a worldwide hospitality company. It offers many chances for relocation and promotion. Workplace is fun and people are treated like if they were family.
25 May 2020
Operations Manager (Former Employee) - Blackpool, County Cork
Avoid if possible, rubbish facilities, one directional hierarchical structure, complete mislabeling of the jobs, rudderless senior leadership, GM and HR incredibly difficult to deal with, lack of ownership of problems, lot of uncertainty about where Marriott want to go and how they are going to get there.
28 April 2020
Senior Chef (Former Employee) - Athlone, County Westmeath
They will make the workers on salary work the overtime to cut the hours of the poor employees that are hourly paid you end up being on a terrible wage when you calculate it. Expect you to work Christmas Easter all bank holidays and summer months and take your holidays in January February time. Stay away and find a job that will respect you