Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Bartender

Great place to work while in college or to start an early career! Very systematic with plenty to learn and experience! Bartending and Serving positions are rewarding in pay!
It was a great experience. Lots of room to grow they actually hire within and want to see you grow. Cool discounts, you can travel to any company anywhere around the world after a certain time frame, meet new people all the time, they feed you for free... and the list goes on... great company to work for hands down!
Good spot to work. I still recommend it to anyone and everyone looking for a solid gig. Very unpredictable, though. An all or nothing type of job. Shift change could be at 3:00pm, yet you get a 40 top at 2:45. So be it. Food and Beverage is top notch so, once again, I recommend it to locals as well.
The culture at this Marriott was horrible. It was so poorly managed. Personal issues and spitefulness drove the management team. Attitude reflects leadership, and that was evident with this manager. The HR department was also terrible, and was run by a single person who had no idea how to reach people let alone aid them with their issues. No one feels confident relying on HR because it was understood that they protected management.
Definitely a place where you can grow. This company cares about their employees well-being. You are able to be yourself and not get caught into the robotics of the service industry
Pros
Excellent managers
Cons
Some of the staff is very young and inexperienced - affects guests experience
Great staring opportunities Great pay Amazing Benefits nice paid leave accommodating with family emergencies lack of management and or high turnover lead to inconstancy fired me over a 9 dollar discrepancy and didn't have my back very corporate
A typical night at the marriot consists of setting up the bar and dealing ith hotel guests. As a bartender I was often the sole employee responsible for interacting anf taking care of the guests late at night which could get stressful depending on how busy we are.
All the employees are all pleasant to work with. We all pitch in to help each other. The managers have been all wonderful. When there is an event to set up for you may need to polish glassware. Gather what is needed to set up the bar. Stock beer, liquor & wine. Non of it is hard. Just time consuming.
Different managers, different atmosphere in the work place. Marriott discounts are great, hotels and perks are incredible. Salary/wages are pretty competitive as in Canada there is a hourly wage+gratutities
Very unfair. No breaks even 8 or more hour shifts. GM looks for any petty things to call you in office so he can show his authority. No appreciation or thank your whatsoever.
Has destroyed equipment through misuse during this rating period. Wastes supplies. Deleted required software in error. Never services equipment. Needs Improvement: Doesn't heed warning messages on equipment. Sometimes forgets to turn equipment off at the end of the day. Doesn't always get equipment serviced as recommended by the manufacturer. Meets Requirements: Takes good care of equipment and uses supplies efficiently. Turns off and secures all equipment at the end of the shift. Exceeds Requirements: Quickly learns new software programs. Uses queries and reports to maximize efficiency in the office and find errors. Outstanding: Is able to troubleshoot and solves all work related problems quickly and efficiently. Reports problems immediately if to the appropriate personnel.
Knowledge of both front of house and back of house. Inventory. Guest service training and follow up with tools to ensure training was effective and understood with all employee’s essential day to day operations including: Setting up the bar with ingredients, glassware, silverware, fresh fruits, daily cocktails and special’s for the night. Following with ensuring all work is complete and finished in detail to help out the morning crew for their duties.
I served and bartended there so I was always getting to meet new people and that aspect of working there was nice. The thing I learned there was how to empathise with people
Overall a great place to work. Busy depending on booking from sales department. Very busy on the high season and slow in the summer time. After holiday seasons are slow.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Busyness very dependable on companies around the area, most of the times.
Sales office is not hustling for clients like they should be so with that being said the work is some to none. Staff is awesome and manager is down to earth and very easy to talk to. Love it there just wish there was more hours to work
Pros
Room discos
Cons
Not enough hours to rely on
In the Hotel business there are a lot of hours and very low hourly pay. You survive on the tip money you make. Most Hotels are poorly managed with a very high turnover rate.
More fairness awarding shifts. Transparent scheduling would be better, Curently, schedules are made per text on a randowm basis. I would like to see a more fiar & transparent way to schedule on my managers' part like a schedule emailed to us!
The typical day at work is like working with friends and family. The Management team is approachable and supportive. Employee ideas are respected and appreciated and if possible implemented
I was a banquet server at the Marriott for several years. There were weeks we only work 20th as a week and there were weeks we worked 70 hours a week over all it was a good place to work
I learned many skills and techniques working at the Westin. I was able to work many different departments with the skills that I learned. Great environment and friendly guests. We were a new hotel so their were a few kinks but over time they smoothed out.
Pros
Hotel discounts, great insurance coverage, Pto
Cons
sometimes long hours, seasonal slow periods
I started this job when I was 18 and it was a really great place to work. I have been there for the past 4 and a half years. The marriott I work at just got bought by a new company so they're still working out minor adjustments.