Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Catering Manager

Everyday you see/learn something new. It’s exciting with a great culture. Associates are valued. Excellent training programs and advancement is encouraged
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Paid parking
Excellent benefits, pay is good. Male cocaisons have more opportunities in the company. Not happy when Sodexho became our new employer because some benefits were taken away.
Such a great environment to be part of. The energy with Marriott International is like no other. The respect they have with the guest and staff is amazing. I remember getting out of high school and being 19, I had no idea that the hospitality path was going to be my passion. There is no doubt in my mind that this company is for a lifetime career. They not only help you grow in your career path, but also make it productive and energetic.
I loved the team I worked with and the fast paced, competitive environment! A lot of satisfaction working with client events from beginning to end. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
The Director of Sales was not very professional and managed the department poorly. That is why I left there. I loved working for Marriott Hotel, but not in that Sales & Catering Dept.
Pros
Great Company to work for... Marriott
Cons
Poor Management
Good Team productivity, Staff is courteous, Hard working efforts by all, Customer service is very good, and they seem always positive. They take good care of their clients.
Ok place to work. Currently going through some policy changes which is stressful. Benefits are good, work/life balance is ok I do wish I had more time with my family
It was a good experience, but very demanding work. I enjoyed the staff I worked with immensely. The banquet/special events side of the hospitality is very fast-paced and comes with many challenges, which we worked collectively on.
Pros
Good learning experience and great staff
Cons
Very long hours
Unless you are a salaried manager, you are an hourly paid manager. In theory, this is great! You can earn overtime if you work it. However, overtime is never approved and not permitted. It's great for work-life balance, but challenging to complete all necessary duties in only 40 hours...so be prepared to get a lot of lectures or conversations about how your work isn't getting done on time or isn't "enough" to satisfy senior leadership. Makes it tough to keep going back every day since you can't really take pride in your work.
I started my hotel career with Starwood Hotels and Resorts in May of 1996. It was a wonderful experience, as I was promoted more than once or twice. My mentors always supported my goals and made sure I was happy. It was one of the best experiences I have had in my career; and ultimately, it lead me to my dream job with the Hilton Dallas Park Cities five years later. By then, I was well-rounded with experience on both the Sales and Catering sides of the business, but Business Travel is my expertise.
Pros
Offered great career advancement throughout my time.
Cons
Long hours wth some weekends and holidays.
Working for a hotel is a challenging, but rich environment for learning and growing as an employee. The culture to empower and grow individuals within the company allows for a positive work environment.
Absolutely loved working here, however became a stay at home mom, of three and couldn't keep up with the hours and the balance. Would definitely go back to this property.
I enjoyed working at this property. It is face paced and a bit stressful, but rewarding work. The employees are a family and so are the guests. High energy property that is ALWAYS busy.
Pros
Great folks
Cons
long house, stressful
After deciding to make a career move after college, The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland gave me an opportunity to start as an Assistant in the Catering and Sales Department and they provided me with the tools, training and opportunity to begin and quickly advance in the Hospitality Industry. They opened doors for me and groomed me to be the professional that I am today and I will always be grateful.
There is an atmosphere of disorganization, lack of training, benefits are not afffordable, no PTO, no vacation, no sick time no 401K Low pay compared to the current market
overall great place to have worked only draw back new management did not know how to treat employees. Each area of hotel worked together well. Staff great to work with enjoyed meeting new people daily and see the excitement on special events
A typical day at work starts with meeting in-house clients followed by a morning RevMax meeting where we discuss business opportunities that have come in the previous day. We discuss as a group to determine if it makes sense for the hotel on a financial level to bid on the event. Throughout the day I am responding to incoming leads whether they come in via telephone or email. Each day we hold BEO meeting with each department to ensure everyone has the information needed to execute events as flawlessly as possible, I have learned many things over the years in terms of sales, operations, building customer rapport. The hardest part of the job is sometimes not receiving the clients event specifications as quickly as you would like. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people on a daily basis.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts at hotels worldwide
Perfect work/life balance, nice company to work for awesome benefits. Fun people to work with, go team all around. Free parking for managers.
Working at The Westin Metro Airport has been a wonderful experience. It is mainly a corporate hotel wil a lot of pop up groups - very fast paced environment. Great work life balance.
Assists the property’s Banquets/Catering Department in the property's reactive and proactive sales efforts with a focus on group and catering accounts. Selling, implementation and follow-through of catering promotions. Managing the catering sales and wedding sales for the property including local and group business Prepares proposals for client which outline details of proposed functions; coordinates preparation of estimates with food and beverage and other departments if needed Conducts on-site client inspections to illustrate available services, know meeting and sleeping room set-ups and capabilities Monitors customer satisfaction with catering business; follows-up with key contacts on a regular basis to assess satisfaction