Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Catering Manager

Working for a hotel is a challenging, but rich environment for learning and growing as an employee. The culture to empower and grow individuals within the company allows for a positive work environment.
Long hours, but very rewarding place to work. Great workers and management. I have learned a lot about event planning and customer service.
Management changed three times in the short period I was employed. The company was more interested in the bottom line that ensuring that customers had a good experience.
Pros
free meals
Cons
quality of acceptable work ethics
Starwood gave me all the tools I needed to work both in the SMERF catering industry as well as corporate meeting planning. I left Starwood and was able to open my own successful Event Planning company.
I had the pleasure of working with so many great people. The ability to be a part of a variety of events from weddings to major corporate events was a thrill.
Pros
Always something different
Cons
No benefits. What little was offered was way too expensive
Typical day at work Staying in touch with existing accounts Always learning new portals / programs to prospect new business in to shift from our competitor Must meet goals in monthly revenue, outside sales calls, prospecting and site visits at the hotel My co-workers are great to work with and the upper management is also great and have good relationships with them We have a team outing at the end of each Q. The hardest part of the job is to continue to find new business and increase revenue each month. Best part of the job is always meeting new people and working with the different cultures;
It was a fun place to work always challenging I learned how to be creative co-workers could be challenging at times being a manager you learn to deal with the different personality. The hardest part of the job was getting sales to coordinate functions. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing function go off flawlessly.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
sometimes there were no breaks it may be a 20 hour day'.
Duties included all variations of customer service. Point person from the initial client introduction, writing contracts, taking care of the group while on property, to making sure that all billing was correct. Full knowledge of guest rooms, meeting space, food and beverage, audio visual components to maintaining the Westin and Starwood Property standards.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
A day at the Westin North Shore in Wheeling is our morning meeting motivating us for the rest of the day on the number one focus...creating the visions and accomplishing the expectations our clients are looking for. The Sales and Catering Team come together as one to make challenges easier and smoother to manage. That is the best part of working at the property. We all work together and we are all chasing the same goals in the end.
Pros
Great Buffet Lunches for employees and annual picnics
Cons
Never any time to enjoy a great lunch in the cafeteria
Day at work: opening procedures for catering service. Managing banquet housemen. Supervising all room sets/turns/meetings. Maintenance of all tables, chairs, dance floor, risers. I learned the difference between working for a franchise vs. a corporate property management was challenged due to the purchase and sale of the property three times in eight months. workers were great and always helpful hardest part of the position was the labor cost percentage The people were the most enjoyable part of the position
Pros
employees
Cons
frequent purchase and sale of the property
A Great environment to work with great individuals to be around. I loved what I did; assisting with planning. Sodexo have existed for along time providing hundreds of thousands of individuals service and opportunities for students as well
Benefits
Cons
Standing for 8 hours can be a bit much
Great environment as being the best hotel in Annapolis. Great team members who all work together for the bottom line, which is the customers. Company always looking to promote within. Must be able to deal with high maintenance clients, which is typical for this brand.
Pros
Free lunch, Salary, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Long days at times
Qualifying leads and building relationship with clients, prospect for new accounts and clients, provide site tours for clients and brides, detail and service all events. I learned a great deal about the sales aspect of the hospitality industry and the importance of building and maintaining relationships with clients to create a strong pipeline for future business. The management within the catering department is also responsible for achieving sales goals, creating a conflict of interest in terms of leadership. My coworkers were very instrumental and helpful as I transitioned to my new role as catering sales managers. My more experienced colleagues acted as mentors when I had questions and helped me to successfully qualify and win business. Everyone had a great attitude and were always eager to offer advice. They were a pleasure to work with as management in the catering department often gave wrong information and was unavailable or unwilling to offer assistance or guidance. The hardest part of the job was working to build relationships with clients, prospecting new accounts, and creating a strong wedding pipeline only to have the business denied by management in hopes that the group sellers would book a higher-revenue piece of business over the same date. The pressure of having to make up all denied business in the 4th quarter when group business did not materialize made it a very hostile environment when management had to answer for bad business decisions that caused the catering department to fall short of their revenue goal. Responsibility was deflected and - more...
Pros
Benefits, location, experience gained, facility
Cons
Hostile work environment in catering department, lack of support from management.
The most enjoyable part about this job is communicating with different departments. In the hotel industry you go from dealing with the culinary aspect to the event management side very quickly. You have to great communication between departments to be successful.
1) Test cooked food by tasting and smelling it in order to ensure palatability and flavor conformity. 2) Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations. 3) Schedule and receive food and beverage deliveries, checking delivery contents in order to verify product quality and quantity. 4) Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes, and garnishing and presentation of food in order to ensure that food is prepared and presented in an acceptable manner. 5) Monitor budgets and payroll records, and review financial transactions in order to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted. 6) Schedule staff hours and assign duties. 7) Assess staffing needs, and recruit staff using methods such as newspaper advertisements or attendance at job fairs. 8) Arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs, and coordinate a variety of services such as waste removal and pest control. 9) Monitor employee and patron activities in order to ensure liquor regulations are obeyed. 10) Greet guests, escort them to their seats, and present them with menus and wine lists. 11) Establish and enforce nutritional standards for dining establishments based on accepted industry standards. 12) Plan menus and food utilization based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs. 13) Create specialty dishes and develop recipes to be used in dining facilities. 14) Take dining reservations. 15) Schedule use of facilities or catering services for events such as banquets or receptions, and negotiate - more...
Pros
closer from homettown
Cons
Distance from family
Business attire is required. Professional atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is the high paced office. Be mentality prepare for the high volume of emails and clients without appointments. I enjoyed meeting new people and hearing about why they were planning their events.
Pros
Free Lunches. Flexible work schedule
Cons
Fast past
Good location for a downtown hotel, well managed. Great at providing training and growth opportunities within the company.
worked with a great team. direct manager gave me room to grow and we worked well together. General hotel life in banquets/events. Long hours. Enjoy meeting different people each day and repeat guests almost become like a second family.
Marriott was wonderful. I was thrilled to have been hired with such a well-known company internationally and have learned much about hotel sales. My co-workers were great and had all worked within the hotel industry for 20+ years. With that said it made it very difficult to voice an opinion or new idea on how to approach business in today's world. Very little acceptance to any sort of change. And if so, it would not stick. Many long hours and opportunities for advancement were not of much interest to me as I did not seek to ever be a GM of a hotel. Regardless, I'm very grateful for my time and experience gained with Marriott.
Pros
$1 a day lunches
Cons
Cube environment, commission structure
Promoted to management within four months of employment Event coordinating Facilitated personnel and on site resources to accommodate customer needs Successfully met time lines in high volume environment
This hotel is very busy so day goes by quickly. Company has great benefits.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Busy and money