Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Sous Chef

Enjoyed the environment and staff. I wouldn’t have left if I hadn’t had another opportunity. Felt as I was held back from promotion but we did get a good addition.
Pros
Culture.
Cons
Can’t think of any
it was a great company to work for it was time for me to move up and i decided to get another job. I learned as much as I could i saw that they were about to close the kitchen so i took advantage of looking elsewhere. I loved working for the hotels.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Closed down
good place to work,great membership of mostly retired .did a lot of catered weddings.could of had more clubhouse event participation.but overall a good experience.
Pros
close to home
Cons
none to speak of
Location is fantastic - we have lots of banquets. Depending on banquet I made my schedule. Regular day I interact 40 - 50 associates to take better care of our guests. People skills and communication skills are very important. Most culinary co-workers have worked there long time. So basically they do know what they should do. Great teamwork!!!
Pros
awesome benefits
fun golf club, open year round, special events, can advance you skills daily. Upper mgt the time to get to know you.I enjoyed my time there.
Great working environment, great staff! Work day was anywhere between 10 and 12 hours. I would come in on my off days to do ordering etc. Great co-workers, always willing to help when needed. Treated me with much respect and vise versa. The hardest part of the job was not being able to return once the new management company took over. I loved working there and a great job for the company. Most enjoyable was being on top of everything, while no one had to worry about product or inconsistency. Was able to use creativity and challenge staff in product enhancement.
Pros
Great support from staff and management.
Cons
Not being hired back after all the hard work I put in, no regrets though!
Be a part of pre opening hotel project, enjoyed and learn how to stand a no. 1, scot American restaurant from the no where.
When we had an Executive Chef, I was invisible but when they would leave and I was acting Executive Chef I shined getting many compliments including BEST FOOD SCORES w/o an Executive Chef Said by the GM referring to his time with the company complimenting me.
Pros
Best Staff I ever worked with
Cons
Worst Managment Team ALL FOR Themselves I ever worked with
This was a great place to be tested as a manager this place made you the manager you were going to become. There is allot of teamwork on this hotel
i learent a lot on a function which was a held for one of the goverment property which was a out door which was played by a perfect team work without any hazzles which always keps me to plan my further ..........
Start at 9am say hello to the team, get a count of everyone, do the daily stand up providing info to team about group, guest, functions, parties etc., assign duties. How to manage a fast pace 3 meal restaurant serving over 300 a day for breakfast, 150 for lunch, 200 for steak house al carte dinner fine dining Management very supportive Co workers, team player, willing to jump in at any time not having all the product in house but still Seeing every guest leaves satisfied
Pros
career advance
Cons
pay parking for associate
manage to pick up a function with less staff more about management skills top management was very supportive very helpful and good team work I always make my job on my way to make it easy producing good plates with quality products
I am working The Marriott Hotel every day I can feel learning more management skill ,also about my cooking career get more knowledge about food and food culture,in fact I am working this company I get a lot things training ,development myself in cooking career.
The work itself was easy and not complicated. I came to work started my prep of the daily soups, sauces, and stocks. I would work the line to cook for the restaurant and room service. The hours that I was scheduled to work were very difficult for me. I had a newborn baby at home and management was fully aware. Management on the other hand, relied fully on the staff to fulfill all job tasks down to inventory and guest special needs. Management was not on hand at all times. As a new employee, I had to rely on my coworkers to train me, even though each one had THEIR own way to do things. So, needless to say I had to make a lot of corrections when it came to recipes and plating. The coworkers were all nice people, but because it was a union environment made it hard to trust them. They made me feel like I was there to take their job instead of being on the team (which isn't a word often used among the staff). If I could go back, I would, because it gave me a sense of stability for my family. The best part of the job was meeting the new people who were genuinely sweet and friendly.
Great place to work, sorry I had to leave. Fun people ,beautiful place water is outstanding . Want to go back some day as a tourist.
Pros
Great food
Cons
No golf course on property
I had the opportunity to learn cuisine from Switzerland, China, Thailand, Germany, and Japan from the chefs that work at the Westin resort Guam.
Pros
An associate appreciation party was held every year.
Cons
Staff constint call in sick
Great hotel and just renovated. Scratch kitchen is always a plus. Not many hotels have its own pastry program any more.
Pros
Scratch cooking
Benefits
I learned to control temper at times of discourage. seen everyone coming together as a one body as it should be. The hardest part of my day was to learn the people i work with and their ways that the are and carried them self as individual try to mix with them being different than me, our back ground,taste, music,humor e.t.c. The most enjoyable part of the day is that we have accomplished a job well done and go back to our respective home.
Pros
the benefits are great for the employees and nice hot meal for everyone
Cons
smoke breaks
i really enjoy this job. along with ala carte service we would do monthly wine pairing dinners and garden cookouts. my exec chef was very good to me and let me really take control of menu development ad instructing the cooks benieth me.
The senior management lacked experience and the basic skills for a hotel muchless a restaurant.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
unproductive leaders
Works hard everyday to put out great products, but is always willing to go the extra step that guest and employers require and need.