Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Whistler, BC

Christmas season. Busy and of course be on top of it. Friendly staff. They are well put together and organized to the best they can. Culture was great. Management was on top of it with emails and letting us know when shifts are available.
This company was very disheartening to work for. I am a person who only knows how to go above and beyond everyday. This will go unrecognized and unrewarded by upper management. My immediate managers on duty were excellent however they were not treated well either. I watched 2 managers I consider friends develop anxiety attacks and mental health issues while I was there. The HR director as mentioned in a review below, is in fact very difficult to work with. A HR department is supposed to take issues in the work place and work together with the parties to find a solution. This HR department caused more problems than I saw it solve. I ended up bypassing the department all together and speaking directly yo the hotel manager. It wasn't worth the consequences causes by their departments incompetence. I worked 6 months over the summer and I worked 6-8 days straight when they were understaffed. They then over hired for the winter and cut my shifts to 4 days a week. They deduct ski pass payments and an increased winter rent from that too. I walked away with 300-400 a fortnight after tax. Not to mention they had myself and my fellow senior agents train these new staff members who'd take our hours. They did not ask if I was comfortable training or offer any pay rise for my extra responsibilities. If they had treated me better I'd have stayed and applied for permanent residency but the idea of being locked into them for even a season longer...Not even permanent residency is worth that
The people I worked with here were fantastic, but the HR Director was incredibly challenging to work with. He seemed only interested in himself and was not supportive of others unless there was something in it for him. He caused a lot of problems while I was there and caused a lot of really fantastic colleagues to leave.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Poor HR Leadership
I had amazing team in the kitchen. The executive chef was extremely understanding. I was able to learn so much as a cook 2 from our sous chef, executive sous chef and chef.
I worked one winter season for The Westin Resort and Spa in Whistler BC and I am not sure that I would return. The hotel is beautiful and offers a great deal of services as well as great proximity to skiing. What I found to be most difficult about working there is Whistler itself. It is a very small community and very much designed like a resort that has one major attraction. I found the situation too small for my liking and prefer a larger city.
You could say this was a decent job to get started in the area, but the perks aren't nearly as good as some of the other companies around, and they care a lot more about money then they will about you. You'll do well if you're let into the clique, but otherwise you'll find yourself up against some unfair situations. I wouldn't recommend this job but that's just based on some of my experiences, and I was offered a great position with the mountain afterwards. Note: I was kicked out of staff accommodation without any notice or reason other than they hired new staff and I was being replaced. I was given 2 hours to pack up and move out of staff accommodation, if I didn't have good friends in the area it would have been a really tough time, I wouldn't trust this company. My advice is just look for a job on the mountain and know you'll have a great time!
Cons
No mountain pass - you have to pay for it, unpredictable hours, some staff and coworkers are difficult to get along with
When going in to work at the Westin I was in for a different set of circumstances every day. I learned how to effectively communicate with guests, effectively troubleshoot, and work well both independently and as a team.
A typical work day I would provide massages for guests. I learned how to deal with all kinds of different characters and personalities. Management was awesome, and so was the co-workers. The hardest part was when I didn't have a massage, I wasn't earning anything. Seeing the satisfied look and appreciation in the guests I helped.
It's good. They support you for the winter pass and housing but you do not have break while you are working(straight 8 hours) you are asked to leave when it becomes quiet. One of my friend left there because his supervisor was seriously yelling at him. If you are server you are getting only minimum wage + tip. I think the place is only good for managers or people working in the office. Since it's tourist place and lots of people come and go, they do not really provide better job environment for the front or back of the house employess
Pros
spirit pass
Cons
working environment