Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Bakersfield, CA

I loved the team I worked with and the fast paced, competitive environment! A lot of satisfaction working with client events from beginning to end. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
The owners would talk down to, curse at, belittle and make fun of employees. Very cheap, wouldn't spend money on necessary products. They didn't want to pay employees a fair wage and refused to hire for much needed positions even if it meant they were putting current employees at risk. Nepotism everywhere.
Pros
Cons
Evil people, illegal business practices
working there would be great if it had different owner. all employees worked together from front desk to housekeeping even their maintenance helped out in all aspects of the hotel. overall great hotel. the owner is very unprofessional and rude.....I would say the hardest part of the job is lack of communication between management and staff.
Pros
great hotel and location, very helpful staff
Cons
unprofessional and rude owner.
A typical day at work just cleaning rooms in a timely and professional manner learning how to work at Fast Pace 20 to 30 minutes per room detail oriented. Fun fast pace different cultures even though we really need more the hardest part about being a housekeeper is finishing 16 to 21 checkouts and 8 hour.
Pros
Free 30-minute lunch with TV and free drinks
Cons
I really can't take our 10 minutes breaks
The work day was fun and relaxing. Typically we were busy from 5-9 and occasionally after 10. Our team was more like a family than co-workers. Our management was accomplished and knew what they were doing. It was definitely an enjoyable place to work.
overall great place to have worked only draw back new management did not know how to treat employees. Each area of hotel worked together well. Staff great to work with enjoyed meeting new people daily and see the excitement on special events
I love that its a one on one atmosphere just listen to music zone in your own zone and clean the rooms. if there was something wrong or you had any questions the supervisor was always friendly and willing to help.
Working here is great for a person with no responsibilities or family. Promised advancement is what kept me on and never saw it. Very stressful and often, you would be left as a team of 1 while other coworkers talked and visited.
A typical day would include cash handling, customer service, taking and serving food orders. Coworkers were excellent and management made it known they wanted to take care of you.
Company provides safety training classes, co-workers are friendly, management staff very helpful as well as considerate. A great place to be employed with. An amazing and unforgettable company to work for.
Pros
Insurance Benefits offered to F/T employees
Cons
Split Shifts
good work environment, interesting people, fun place to be at. the best is when we have a concert for an event going on next door at the robobank arena, because then that is when we get busy and everyone is such in a good mood.
Working in the hospitality field is rewarding and challenging. I loved meeting people from all over the world and getting to know them, The pay isn't the best but they make up for it in perks like free hotel rooms. I really loved my time with Marriott!
Pros
Discount hotel rooms and meeting new people every day
Cons
Low pay and shift work schedules
Good place to learn how to develop communications skills especially with co-workers and the guests. Fast paced environment has shown me how to accomplish more than one thing at a time. Great place to network because of different types of events we hosted. Everyone always worked together to get the job done, definitely a teamwork atmosphere. The best part was being able to see different cultures and their celebrations and seeing the results of an event.
I had the pleasure of working with so many great people. The ability to be a part of a variety of events from weddings to major corporate events was a thrill.
Pros
Always something different
Cons
No benefits. What little was offered was way too expensive
While I knew working in a small hotel would be much different that what I was used to, I did not expect nor was I told the extent of those differences. The entry level staff worked their buns off at their own jobs as well as jobs they weren't hired for. For example; Front Desk clerks also had to make food in the restaurant and clean the kitchen; and Night Porters were required to cook and serve food. That did not make sense to me. I was hired as an Ops Manager for the Hotel, and my duties morphed in to scrubbing drains in the kitchen and managing the restaurant. Training for the various jobs expected was poor and GM was very quick to write up those who made mistakes along the way. 26 years in the industry did not prepare me for 5 months at the Courtyard. Employees were awesome......Customers were awesome.....GM, not so much.
Pros
Large affiliation and company perks
Cons
Poor training;
I always looked forward to morning huddles on the weekdays. During huddle we would go over our occupancy for the day and any special accommodations we needed to prepare for our guest. I learned so from my coworkers as well as the guest. My experiences with Residence Inn have made me break out of my shell. Management always had their doors open and ready to hear any problems or suggestions we had. My coworkers became a second family for me. We all cared for each other and everyone's well being. I really did love working for Residence Inn by Marriott.
Pros
Interaction with guest and coworkers, never boring.
Cons
Hours were always up and down.
Best place for a student to work. Management works well with school schedules. Learn a wide variety of skills
Pros
open schedule
Cons
poor medical benefits
Handles the financial side of the hotel such as running credit card settlements, posting room and tax, making sure all hotel revenue is correct, filling out standard DSR reports for the CEO. I handle all complaints from guests all through the night in an appropriate fashion. I also handle security which entails having people leave the hotel who aren't guests as well as evicting guests if they become too loud or disorderly.
Pros
Free lunch, Discounted rooms
Cons
Pay is way to low
I worked in the sales office which was pretty quiet but a nice environment. I assisted all sales managers with various projects. Answered all calls that came to sales office. Met with customers who were planning events. Completed daily reports for managers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very quiet work place
I am just finishing up training but a typical day at work is doing shift work (paper work), checking in guest and checking out guest. Answering the phones, helping guest with special request, greeting guest, counting money, and giving a warm greeting. I have learned how to work the computer system. The managers are nice. My co-workers are all different. The hardest part of my job is standing all day. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with guest.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
standing for long hours
Followed up on all leads within 48 hours of receipt in an effort to create new business for the hotel and, when appropriate, sends leads to other hotels. Group retention: I was responsible for rebooking group and applicable catering business through building strong, professional customer relationships and providing consistent outstanding customer service. Account Service and Management: Maintained well-documented, accurate, organized and up-to-date file management in order to serve client and employer in the most expedient, organized and knowledgeable manner.