Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Round Rock, TX

I woked at Austin Marriott North. It was a very interesting experience. It was my first time ever not working in Banquets or Restaurants. I was a front desk supervisor. They really gave me an opportunity to really learn and test my ability to manage a team and still maintain exception guest service. It was a very humbling experience and it gave me new respect for what the front of house does. I moved from that position to an Assistant Banquet Manager position, which I was far more in my element. The hotel was very understanding that I was always wanting to move to the banquet team and when the opportunity arose, they really supported me.
Most employees stick around and many for 20 years so far. No raises and no growthopportunities. Management are kind and respectful. sense of a family culture.
Pros
Free lunches, Job stability
Cons
No growth, no raises
It is a good place to work in I really love working for Marriott I love thier activities what they do for us in housekeeping people are really fun to work with I love that we work in teams
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Break of 30 min and then a 15 min break
Marriott Hotels are a wonderful company to work for and I have been with them for over 22 years. This was always an excellent organization to work with.
Continued on-going improvement by way of consistent monitoring and performance development review Continue to share operational day to day responsibilities with associates in order to focus on various improvements toward an efficient overall operaton
Pros
Excellent Property
Cons
Staffing
This job was a tough one. Housekeeping is not something that I'm wanting to do again. The aftermath of the physical labor is what pushed me over the edge.
I setup buffets, coffee breaks, setting up midday snacks. I get to meet guest and work with them throughout their stay. We have a great management team and fellow associates. I really enjoy working with guests and management.
Pros
Dollar lunches, hotel outtings & paid holidays
Cons
Slow periods which is usually during Christmas & summertime
Typical day at work, was 8 hours of pure labor. From this Company, I learned how to take on difficult situations on my own, and how to be my own leader. The workplace culture was great, as well as the co workers! They are all hard workers!! Hardest part of the job was all the labor, most enjoyable part was the $1 lunches they offer =) everyday :)
The front desk is the eyes and portrayed attitude of the hotel. You must be able to think on your feet and be extremely customer oriented or you will not survive or thrive in the business. The hardest part of the job is informing the guest of bad news, i.e. the city has caused a water main to break would you like to be sent to another comparable hotel or take some bottled water to use until the problem is fixed. Or would you happen to have another form of payment as this one just isn't agreeing with the system. No matter what you say you must word it in such a way that the customer doesn't get angry at you...you must remember that they have just arrived at their destination and NEED to rest with no obstacles in their way! Management is usually very relaxed as long as you are working within policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery that is gained with the co-workers on your same shift.
I have worked at this Marriott for 7+ years and enjoy my job, my managers and my co-workers. I work independently during the overnight hours and have received extensive training to handle emergency situations that may arise during my shift. In addition to being the manager on duty, I am also the night auditor, responsible for balancing the paperwork and completing reports for management on a daily basis.
Pros
Set schedule with weekends off.
Cons
Long commute, overnight hours.
Mon-Fri workweek, which is unheard of in this industry. Moved up very fast. Good people
Pros
mon-Fri
Cons
Marriott was wonderful. I was thrilled to have been hired with such a well-known company internationally and have learned much about hotel sales. My co-workers were great and had all worked within the hotel industry for 20+ years. With that said it made it very difficult to voice an opinion or new idea on how to approach business in today's world. Very little acceptance to any sort of change. And if so, it would not stick. Many long hours and opportunities for advancement were not of much interest to me as I did not seek to ever be a GM of a hotel. Regardless, I'm very grateful for my time and experience gained with Marriott.
Pros
$1 a day lunches
Cons
Cube environment, commission structure