Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT

Working at the front desk, you start to meet people from all over the world. It's really fun to get to know them and learn about their culture. It would get a lot of people at one time but other than that it's a great place to work!
They don't care about employee's. I worked for 2 year's less than 3% increases, unsafe working conditions and do not care about work life balance. The only thing corporate Marriott cared about was the hotel owner's, because of this maintenance is neglected, employee's are paid poorly, the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Even costomers didn't matter the hotel I worked never had hot water instead of fixing the problem they trained how to deal with an angry customer.
Loved working here for various reasons. One of the most rewarding is when I travel and get my room discount. I get to stay in the most nicest rooms for such a great deal.
sitting and answering the phone all day for upset members is not my ideal job. and every time I tryed for a promotion from supervisor to managment I got denied.
I'm writing this review in hopes to get some kind of help. At the location I currently work at, there's many problems with employees. The Housekeeping Manager hides a lot from our General Manager. I personally feel like HR needs to be aware of a particular day where the Housekeeping Manager left with a housekeeper to an "appointment" on company time. He was being paid as he went to said appointment and hasn't experienced any kind of disciplinary actions taken toward him for this. He picks favorites and drives out the employees he dislikes. I'm hoping this review gets some kind of recognition to the problems we're encountering at our location because it makes it almost impossible to feel like everyone is being treated equally at our workplace.
Pros
A sense of belonging
Cons
Managers pick favorites/leave work on company time
I enjoy that I can work in my pajamas and have no commute. I provide rooms for guests to relax & connectivity on work trips. My manager helps me to improve my skills with monthly virtural meetings, and if I need to improve, I know what areas to improve in. The travel room discounts for employees is great! I enjoy travelling & time off & I am refreshed when I come back to work. I'm able to relate to guests that stay in our hotels when I have been to the hotels & local venues, I can give recommendations when I have firsthand knowledge gained by the travel.
My experience working at the University Park Marriott was a very positive one to say the least. Upper management was fair honest and caring and room for advancement in my position was offered tell me if I were to stay dedicated to the company. The Marriott company in general is a well established entity.
Honestly I get tired of jobs easily but I never got tired of this one! The only downsides are that your shifts are 8 hours and youre standing the entire time (invest in some good shoes) AND raises are only around .25 every June unless you're promoted. Advancement opportunity is honestly the best there is and I wouldn't want to leave unless I have good reason to (hired at a better paying job in my case) BUT, it is decent pay! I'm currently making 11.27/hr it's just not enough to feel comfortable while renting. ANYWAY all of the staff throughout the entire hotel feels like family to me and I've never had an issue with anyone I've worked with. It seems as if your well-being is actually cared about rather than being disposable :)
I had a lot of hard work and not a lot of time to do it sometimes. My bosses were understanding but often got frustrated first. The benefits from working here were great, however. I also learned a lot about events and guest care.
Fun place to work Good atmosphere Great co workers Clean environment Good management I wish I didn’t have to leave but the pay was not enough Otherwise i would stay
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Pay for parking
People work here their entire careers, with work life balance being a priority. The technology and dedication to technological change is highly metered against customer service experience and the franchise relationship.
While working as a reservation specialist, the atmosphere was fantastic. This was the first 3/4 of my time employed. I then shifted to maintenance. My boss didn't know how to supervise. I also believe he was intimidated by me, maybe because I was 15 years older than him. I heard through the grapevine he was fired several months later.
It was a good place to work at if you want time to go by far housekeeping is a best job always busy I work overtime every Friday it was a good place to work co works we’re friendly and had good training at that time
There is always room to grow with this company and they really appreciate there employees. They are always giving them ways to learn more about all their hotel properties so you can be more knowledgeable in helping the customers find the hotel for their needs.
Pros
lots of fun parties
Company was very well ran, very promising career, management was opened minded and emcourage advancement. Respectful of all employees, Late afternoons and nightsm Loved the customers and meeting new people from all around the world
Pros
Exciting and Adventures
Cons
Marriott can be a fantastic place to work for those looking to acquire a unique set of skills and to further discipline oneself. Furthermore, they provide their employees with a great benefits package and employee discounts at participating locations.
Cons
Can be difficult to advance.
Marriott Hotel was the first place I started to work at. It was a pace to meet many different people from different backgrounds. Very well diversed. If you are looking to grow in a business, you should consider this place.
w,e were given a crash course on plumbing ,electrical ,carpentry ,A/C and pool maintenance.Paid on the job training.familiarize with all equipments and tools of the hotel .check every rooms for things needed to complete before the opening.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch and dinner if you had overtime
Cons
cant think of any
I liked the work, done on a computer. Taking inbound calls, speaking with customers, & taking credit card information! You had to bid for your shift which was hard for me at the time to juggle family obligations! Since then, my family had grown up!
Pros
Social interaction
Cons
Bidding on shifts
Marriott has wonderful managers and supervisors tat are wiling to help when you don't know Ann answer to a question that the customer has. Also has many benefits that most people are looking for.
Pros
don't have to work 8 hours
Cons
on the phones all day
I felt like I was just a number. This was with Marriott Rewards in Salt Lake City. The pay was horrible. I might have put up with the stress if they had paid better.
Pros
Hotel discounts
Cons
Low pay with a lot of stress