Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Scottsdale, AZ

Job was easy and simple to catch onto. Training was all computer based which is useless. Coworkers make or break the workplace. Having good communications set up between the different departments is a must. The only systems they allow you to use go down sometimes (more often than they should). You will get yelled at by guests for things out of your control. You will have to deal with all complaints. You will have to deal with drunks if bars are nearby. You will have to deal with homeless people sneaking in to sleep in the corners of the hallways. You will have to deal with people going against rules like smoking in the rooms or pooping on the floors. If your coworkers are fun and dependable, as well as your management, you will enjoy it better. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because the management team felt like friends and looked after us to the best of their ability and my coworkers were all great people. The only reason I am leaving Marriott in the near future is because I'm sick of dealing with self-entitled guests. So the job itself is really nice, but the customers are trash.
Pros
Discounts at hotel stays
Cons
Self-entitled guests
Starting your first job as a front desk agent is a great way to get started, especially at Marriott hotels. They offer a great amount of customer interaction and experience crucial for succeeding in other jobs. More than just a build in career skills, marriott connects you with people all over the world, either through other coworkers or the many business travelers and groups that come through the doors. Hotel jobs are a great way to get your career started, but be prepared to have bad days and horrible customer experiences on occasions
Working at Marriott's W hotel was exciting and inspiring. From bottom to top management, everyone was very welcoming and always willing to help. I learned how to be creative and how to think outside of the box when dealing with guest requests.
Pros
Free lunch, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow
Cons
No employee parking
It's a big company - Lots of personality types. My first manager was amazing, and helped other to succeed. Current manager wants to hold on to every employee, and not let them move up. Pretty discouraging. But the company is great to work for. Better place for young people to start then for someone with experience to move into.
Poor pay, non-existent reviews and raises, terrible benefits. What else is there to say? Nights, weekends, holidays, it's all here. Fine if you need a job, not something I'd ever recommend long term.
In my time working at a Marriott property I watched as the standard of food and service fell by the wayside to increasing profits. Menu items were slowly replaced with inferior products while keeping the same menu prices.
Helping guests around the hotel and making their stay as comfortable as possible. Fixing any issue with their stay to make sure they leave happy and return as much as possible
I worked at the Westin for 4 years and really enjoyed working there. The job was exciting, fast paced and I was able to create memorable experiences for resort guests.
I only worked here for a short amount of time before coming to find that the staff at this location were completely unreliable, unprofessional, and not supportive of advancement in the company.
Day to day operations, scheduling, P&L, payroll. Marketing seasonally for special events. Weekly training with staff on new items and continued education. Inventory and additional new products.
I have been working the the Westin for over 6 years. Before that I have two years at the Down Town Sheraton so that is a total of 8 years. I recently found out that a new hire is hired at 13.50 and that is just as an agent. Dispatch has more responsibilities,I have been 6 years and I work the overnight shift which should have differential pay. But I only make 57 cents more than that person.
I served and bartended there so I was always getting to meet new people and that aspect of working there was nice. The thing I learned there was how to empathise with people
My general manager was simply amazing - she provided a warm family solid culture, her expectations of the department heads were high but it only made us succeed and expand my growth even further.
Pros
Transfer opportunity
I enjoy working for the company because of the benefits, and it is really interesting working in a place where you can try so many different job opportunities and see where you want to go.
Scottsdale team awesome group to work with. met all daily, monthly goals Great perks, supported all hotels domestic and international Friendly staff
Pros
Hotel discount
Fast paced alot of hours and weekends Alot of room to grow, Co workers are awesome managers great willing to work with you on a day to day basis. Get to meet great people
You have to follow a script and they are too hard on you for a service industry position. Very strict management is unfair . People leave managers not jobs .
No comment at this time. I worked at several hotels for Marriott. The initial placement was fun, exciting and very much customer service oriented. There were, at every location, however, management playing favorites with the employees. That was very uncomfortable and seemed to be a prevalent practice throughout the company.
Friendly place to work with many opportunities to grow. The workplace culture was very nice and supportive. Management was also supportive and willing to teach.
Pros
Benefits, free lunch
Cons
Limited compensation
I don't love the "airport" mentality where we will be so oversold in the hopes that we are even at the end of the night. This is very stressful when you are constantly walking groups.
Pros
Great team, free lunches, decent benefits
Cons
Adapting to old systems, lack of customer experience
Overall great company, excellent benefits and core values are followed. Management can be a little disconnected from day to day operations. Culture is generally positive company should put more effort into paying more competitively.
Pros
Benefits, discounts
Cons
Disconnect from corporate down to management, than from management to non-salary employees