Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Virginia Beach, VA

Present menus to patrons and answer questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request fast pace free food for employees tips after every shift
Marriot is a great company to work for, great benefits and higher then normal pay.BUT the Housekeeping Dept at the new Ocean Front Hotel is terrible!I really hope the new male supervisor can figure things out and get them straight.When I was hired on the spot back in June, i was hired at $20 per hour. Yes, summer incentive BUT that was not made clear to me until 9 days after i started working there. To get that $20 your rooms have to be above 90% cleaniness, perfect attendance, be on time every time AND THE BIGGEST KICKER OF THEM ALL.....YOU HAVE TO HAVE ALL YOUR ROOMS DONE BY THE END OF YOUR 8HR SHIFT. SOUNDS EASY, RIGHT?Well you cannot complete 9 to 16 rooms by yourself in a 8hr period when check out isnt until 11 (80% of guest stay later 12 to 4pm) Also your different levels of the Marriot Rewards program determines your check out time, for instance if you are a titanium member your check out is at 4pm. That many rooms to be done to their check list standards is impossible! Yes, many girls get all their rooms done in that time, HOW? Well they cut corners! Dont vacuum, sweep, mop, change sheets. I was paired with 7 different partners and ONLY 1 did it 100% right, and correct to their standards. They are blind to that factor.On top of running floor to floor trying to find supplies, sheets, towels. Super busy weekend but the night time house men or early morning housemen dont do their jobs, so when housekeeping comes in and are ready to work...closets are in disarray, no supplies, carts used for housekeeping are DISGUSTING, trash left on them, old wet towels, sheets, - more...
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Many many things
Was let go because a new manager was hired who did not like me. I had been with the company for years and dedicated alot of my time and energy. If you are not in the click, do not wasre your time
Pros
good benefits
Cons
have to be in with management
I work in a Virginia location and the management is horrible. They are really not well at screening management they let anyone work. I love the company but hate the management
Pros
Great benefits, discounted rooms, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Management sucks, lack of scheduling, favoritism
Development of each member of the leadership team Planning and implementation of strategy game plans to accomplish the business goals for the hotel.
Pros
Strong Leadership
The work here was slow paced but also have to move fast in each room. Low maintenance from management, no one micromanaging. Great place to learn who you are.
nice place to work it was end side job nice pllace i would go back if i had a chance y do i have to write aall thisnice big hotel it wes ok working therefor yrs made employment of the month
Pros
nice food
Cons
kunch 1hr
I arrived at 8, had to turn in reports to franchisee by 9:15, Balance previous days sales for all departments, submit employee time for the day before. Write checks for deliveries, prepare the bank deposits, submit new hire paperwork, and verify references, conduct safety training and new hire orientation. Make a trip to the bank to do deposits and do change orders for the following day. When necessary, be a third party observer for inventory audits for each department (restaurant, hotel, housekeeping, bar and gift shop).
Pros
Nice surroundings
Cons
Stressful enviornment
Rewarding interactions with people from all walks of life. Typical day involves making a difference in a person's day by providing customer service, knowledge of things to do and/or area, and being a part of a company that provides a home away from home.
I enjoyed it. Nothing really stood out as really good or really bad. I enjoyed meeting the hotel patrons and the staff were always really kind to each other, even if we were in different departments.
Pros
Meeting People
Cons
Dealing with Rude People
Awesome company to work for, great customer service, clean rooms and facility , great pools and saunas, relaxing place to go on vacation or after work.
Spent years with Westin in several cities. Love the brand, and the pros outweighed the cons for me. Hotel discounts are huge benefit for my family and I. I enjoyed the pace most of the time, huge turnover with hotels and its hard to retain people.
Pros
Hot Lunch;
Cons
Short Lunch; hard to take breaks
Stay away. They're robotic, insensitive, cold and calculated to employees as well as guests. Stress is created with no concern or consideration for staff or patrons.
I hope they appreciate the hardwork of their housekeepers! I hope they stop gossips everything. Our human resources manager and assistant are great!!!!
Pros
Free food every other non pay day friday!
I love working for the Marriott because I love to work around people and I love to make the guest happy I don't mind doing things are going to get things for their kids or even bringing their breakfast up to their rooms I love to see the smiles on their faces once you leave their room smelling and licking cleaned as though it was just built
good place too work....a lot of favourtism....not enough hours...great benefits though,always good at granting request off
mangament dont give you a chance to show qhat you can bring to the job. shelly is a inspector and if she dont like you the whole job team will be against you
it was a fun workplace. some of the employees were fun to work with. I liked my supervisor. she made sure we did teamwork. if somebody needed help after I finished my work I went to help them
Pros
fun environment
Cons
no benefits
My duties include cleaning vacant and stay-over rooms in 30 minutes or less. Make sure all the stay overs get cleaned and organized for when they come back to sleep.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Don't pay well.
typical work day is cleaning, restocking, run into a famous person and get tipped a high $$ for being respectful and kind. but you will always in life have the rude client check in.
Pros
great place, good pay and great managers
Cons
rude clients..which is everywhere and doesnt happen very often so its all good
The Westin was at one point a really exciting place to work, until management changed. From the point on things was not quite the same.