Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Designer

The building had its own cafeteria. The management was very friendly and helpful. The hours were very flexible, which was very important to me because I had kids.
Marriott international is a massive company with thousands of locations and thousands of above property resources. It is a monster task to organize, align and deploy these resources in a collaborative structure that truly delivers value and revenue to each hotel.
I have been working for a customized jewelry company as head assistant since 2013 till now. During the time, I have been doing everything related to design process, including concept developing, hand sketching, technical drawing, communication with clients and visual lay out for products. By the company’s trust, in 2014, I was distributed to take full charge of a jewelry project for W HOTEL from design and making to campaign shooting art direction, which were sold in its souvenir shop in Beijing.
Great experience, people are friendly and attentive. designed hotel rooms on autocad in an office mostly. Interior design internship, not paid. great overall experience
Pros:- Decent pay- Nice hotel perks- Pleasant office lighting- Comfy chairCons:- Cloistered/siloed work environment with very little collaboration- Strained and sometimes contentious relationships between teams- Lack of clear vision/direction; brand-mandated projects seem to materialize out of thin air with little basis in overall brand strategy, which amounted to a waste of money on already limited budgets- One-way workflow from brand to design that discouraged real innovation or new ideas; more than once I was instructed to "give [brand] what they asked for."- Huge corporate environment in love with its own corporate procedures- Very poor on-boarding process for new hires- Politically charged work atmosphere that frowns upon open communication- Poor relationships among senior leadership; low intensity conflicts between them definitely carried down to the team levels- Some (not all) senior-level colleagues succeed by playing the blame game; more than once I saw coworkers get thrown under the bus for their mistakes
Pros
competitive salary
Cons
see full review