Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Director of Events

Marriott is the best place to work. It’s family and I have over 25 years working for the company. Even though I am furloughed now, the company has done right by me.
It has been a great five years working for Marriott. I love the benefit of discounted rooms when I travel and I like to ensure guests commitment to the brand.
Marriott has a strong, family culture of putting people first. I enjoy going to work everyday, i feel respected, I feel challenged and I feel valued and my leaders actively work to help me advance my career.
All companies have office politics and Marriott is a great company for which to work in spite of that issue. Expect to do the work of 3 people and be compensated as one person and expect to be passed over for promotion unless you are related to or romantically involved with a superior. Hard work is appreciated but not often rewarded. If you are good at your job they will keep you there and not promote you. The best workers end up leaving because of this.
Awesome integrity and a company I will highly admire for a very long time. Equal opportunity employer and not just a show, They value their people and their impact on overall growth.
Pros
Great benefits and focus on their people
Cons
Be prepared to work hard
Worked here twice.....Banquet Manager/Director of Event Management Love Love Loved the staff.....and the type of groups that were on property year after year. Union property....had a great relationship with the shop steward with creating a great understanding of the union contract
Pros
People People and People
Cons
Very seasonal
I was the person responsible for booking and executing all events on property. I worked out of the out main restaurants office on Marriott property. We had a team of 4 front of house managers on staff including myself for 2 restaurants and the all events. I would work Mon-Fri. 9-5 unless events were taking place, in that case I worked around 12 hours; before, during and after each event. I would respond to event inquiries, preform site inspections, make regular personal contact with all hotel concierges, DMC's and Marriott event planners to generate new business leads. I would lead each client through the estimate and contract process and handle all payments and keep track of all vendor payments and commissions. I would also communicate with the head chefs, food and beverage director, and general manager all details for each event as well as all event staff. I would be present for each event to handle any problems that may arise and be the main point of contact for any and all requests during the event.
Pros
Flexable shedule, rewarding, family environment, freedom for creativity
Cons
seaking more room to progress and more stability, worked as soul person in events department
I handled all purchasing for the entire company. I managed the department which included shipping and receiving, inventory control and budgets. I learned how to manage people and budgets. I was able to be on the executive team which included decision making.
Pros
free hotel rooms and travel
Cons
no cons
12 hoursAll about Marriott SOP and catering paceBlue BandDirectors and Executive membersworking hoursGive the best service and re-repate customers accounts based on the operation standards and enjoy the the service and reviews of my performance i have been doing this for 15 to 20 years with the enjoyment of waking up each day to make a difference
Pros
love my job
Cons
none i regreat
Marriott is consistently listed as one of the top 100 best places to work for a reason. They care about their associates as well as their guests and bottom line. Hospitality is a hard business that requires lots of hours of work, but Marriott appreciates it's people.
Pros
good benefits including hotel discounts, career growth, appreciation
Cons
long hours and average pay