Marriott International, Inc.
Information from Marriott International, Inc.:

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Front Desk Agent

Front Desk Agent1,401 reviews
Found 1,401 reviews matching the search
Great place to work, awesome perks, dealing with guest can be great meeting people from all over. One thing that got to me was that I like to be more active and at times the front desk can be at slow and boring.
Pros
Hotels all over
Cons
Can be slow and boring
Gave me an opportunity to meet different ppl. It gave an opportunity to learn about the hotel industry. Got a chance to cross train in different departments.
Pros
Flexible schedule & location
Cons
A typical day consisted of greeting and assisting guests check-in while also handling phone calls and general back office work. Guest experience will obviously depend on location, so keep that in mind. Well-treated guests will return the favor, although some feel as if the benefits the loyalty program provides have decreased in qualify over time.
Pros
Discounted rooms
Cons
Guest experience varies
I had no complaints honestly. Great place to work. Great pay. Great benefits. Great management. Great work culture. Loved everything about this place.
Excellent company to work for. Co workers are great. Management is excellent except for 1 or 2 people. Very unfair. Only 1 really needed a ethics class and proper management training.
Friendly co-workers, met a wide range of guests with different attitudes, and learned how to deal with stressful encounters. Overall a good company to work for.
Pros
Free lunch, employee discounts on hotel rooms, insurance, 401K, good company culture
Cons
Rude guests, slow season, work on weekends
Front desk is my first job, when I was live in France and I was student get a job wasn't easy but my boss give me this job for help me. This adventure opening much opportunities in 9 years I have get much experience.
Pros
Free for the team
Cons
Healthcare, long break
I have worked for Marriott for almost 3 years now, and I love it.
great benefits as well. the work culture is very inclusive, and they hire people from all walks of life.
Working at the front desk, you start to meet people from all over the world. It's really fun to get to know them and learn about their culture. It would get a lot of people at one time but other than that it's a great place to work!
I enjoy working at this company because I was the first point of contact and met different types of people on a daily basis. I assisted guest checking in or checking out of the hotel. Answer all questions in regards to places to visit or eat or simply questions in regards to the hotel. I also helped with directions to specific places.
There are lot to say about this brand. But in some words, its my pleasure working for this brand. Its already been 6 years I am associated with it and I am sure will continue working till I retire.
Pros
Many
Cons
Very less salary in India
Job was easy and simple to catch onto. Training was all computer based which is useless. Coworkers make or break the workplace. Having good communications set up between the different departments is a must. The only systems they allow you to use go down sometimes (more often than they should). You will get yelled at by guests for things out of your control. You will have to deal with all complaints. You will have to deal with drunks if bars are nearby. You will have to deal with homeless people sneaking in to sleep in the corners of the hallways. You will have to deal with people going against rules like smoking in the rooms or pooping on the floors. If your coworkers are fun and dependable, as well as your management, you will enjoy it better. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because the management team felt like friends and looked after us to the best of their ability and my coworkers were all great people. The only reason I am leaving Marriott in the near future is because I'm sick of dealing with self-entitled guests. So the job itself is really nice, but the customers are trash.
Pros
Discounts at hotel stays
Cons
Self-entitled guests
Marriott is a great company to work for. They take pride in making sure their associates are happy and taken care of. I loved their motto “put people first.”
Pros
Service, professional
Cons
Short breaks
Great business to be apart of. Only downside is they rather promote from outside then internally. But Marriott is still a great place to work and meet new people. With the right people also more opportunities if you amongst the few.
they tried having me work both 1st shift and 3rd shift in the same week. They tried making that my schedule when initially I only offered 1 shift. And assistant manager couldn't understand that I couldn't do both shifts and I eventually quit because I was just getting scheduled how she wanted.
Cons
Assistant manager sucked
Would be a fantastic job if the management was more understanding and had empathy and sympathy towards some of her employees. If the management was more understanding and a lot nicer and cared about her employees I would have stayed longer. It doesn't cost nothing to be nice to people these days.
Pros
Guests
Cons
As a front desk agent, I was able to meet different people from all over the world. Check them in and out. The only bad thing is when we are over booked and the city is sold out we would have to find rooms for guest which some are understandable and well some are not. But we work it thru and the guest are usually happy about the outcome. And good thing I work with a great team that helps assist in assisting guest problems.
Pros
There is no free lunch at this property
Cons
You do have 30min break Off the clock and two 15min breaks
Extremely low paying job for Front Desk and Night Auditor positions. Upward mobility is practically non existent. You would have to wait for someone to pass away to apply for a higher position. Even if that happens, the corporation always brings in an outsider instead of hiring from within.
Pros
You meet a lot of nice and kind people.
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, terrible hours, horrible work life balance.
As with most hotels you have to work 7 to 3 or 3 to 11 shift or you might have to do an overnight shift.Guests that
come in the weekend can be demanding.

Late shifts do not have much help at the front desk As it’s a Skelton crew, typical hotel job.
Pros
Hotel discount, health care, You never have to wonder want to wear because you have a uniform
Cons
it’s a problem if somebody calls out sick, you have to work holidays
The atmosphere during work was very reliant on the type of customers and the business of the day. As with all customer service jobs, the type of customer can make or break the day. In my experience, the front desk team was very amicable and forthcoming to new members, but it was difficult to find positions for advancement.
Pros
Free food during break
Cons
Demanding culture
To much favoritism at this Marriott. Beware....if you rub the manager making the schedule the wrong way, you will probably have a horrible schedule weekly. Don’t take a vacation, because when you get back, you’ll pay by working like 8 days in a row. There is very little empathy from some of the management staff, if you aren’t well, some managers will still write you up from missing work, unless you’re a favorite. They say we are a team or a family, yet they have forked tongues because they show favoritism towards some staff causing division. Why are managers and employees hanging out? That m, to me, is unprofessional. Supervisors having inappropriate relationships with employees? Making sure said employees has what they request in the way of schedules and requests off. So I guess, become a favorite and you’ll be just fine. Micromanagement is the norm if you are not a favorite. Repeatedly stating the same thing over and over as if you are stupid and lack common sense. Get written up for the dumpiest things possible...because someone didn’t fill out a drop envelop the right way???? So much control from some managers, you feel like you can’t do anything right...feel like your just a body filling space until someone else comes along and replaces you. Family? Team?? So delusional if you ask me. So many people I have trained have told me about the attitude of one particular manager who is so controlling and micromanaging. They end up leaving under weird circumstances, not because they don’t want to work, but because this particular manager is controlling. There is no room for - more...
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Mostly everything else