Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Front Desk Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked for Marriott for 4 years and was able to work through all areas of the hotel business. I started as a front desk agent and continued my growth moving to housekeeping, the restaurant and then eventually back to the front desk as a manager.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours
Marriott works you hard, pays you little and claims that getting a small discount at any Marriott hotel makes up for the pay. It does not. Additionally there is never any time to use this discount as you are busy working all the time because it is impossible to maintain any sort of permanent front desk staff with the pay they offer them.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everything.
Act as Management in absence of General Manager, while managing staff of 5 people, train, cross train, Accounts receivable, cash, check, credit card handling while checking guests in and out of the hotel. Assist guests with any issues that they have regarding service, staff, or other issues. Assist other departments as needed.
Pros
Loved working here
Cons
Hotel is closing as of April 3, 2017
I've been employed with The Westin for 3 years (as of 1/21/17). It has been a great learning experience for me, with endless opportunities. The staff is great, everyone is very friendly and welcoming of new staff. Also, the training program for new staff members is amazing! The benefits offered by Starwood Hotels are, by far, my favorite asset of the company. A typical work day for me is pretty busy, as we hold 726 rooms. We are the 2nd largest hotel in the Kansas City area. The most difficult part of my job is managing my time, as you never know what problems will brew, or how long it will take to resolves these problems. However, it is a very rewarding job and i look forward to my career growth with the company.
Pros
Extremely discounted travel, healthcare, Pto
Cons
No set schedules
Loved the fast paced environment, learning that teamwork and communication is crucial when it comes to the success and safety of the internal and external guest experience.
Pros
Guest interactions
Cons
lack of management training program, support
Very well run hotel overall. Heavy emphasis is placed on production and communication. Upper management is of the best in the industry, they are all very hands-on and energetic. All departments work very well together, which is extremely important in the industry. Not that it is without obstacles, but the team works hard to overcome them daily. Our most difficult obstacles typically involve building issues- such as leaks in public areas or renovations that cannot be easily obscured from guests' view. There really is no "typical" day in hotels, as anything and everything can happen. Most enjoyable are the bonds we form with our guests. We have so many recurring guests that getting to know them and making them really feel at home when they stay with us is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Supportive executive team, lots of perks and bonuses, employees are appreciated
Cons
Unpredictable hours and changing schedules from week to week