Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Sales Manager

Marriot was a great company to work for. Plenty options to move up or around with the most hotels in the world. There was a culture of development and a feeling of family.
Although the pay isn't as great as competitors, Marriott was a great company to work for. I joined the company once they merged with Starwood Hotels and at first it was a little hectic (integrating systems, learning new programs/hotels/policies) but it turned into a very well oiled machine in no-time. I would absolutely return to the company in the future if the right opportunity presented itself.
Fair, decent job.. nothing major to complain about, nothing great to rave about. This is your basic run of the mill sales job you take the good with the bad there were no extremes in this job.
Pros
Fairness
Cons
Pay rate
I am in love with this company, the people, the positive environment, the growth opportunity. There is not one person that will not say hello to you in the office, or sit and hear about your personal life - if needed. They care. I am learning everyday, I feel challenged, I feel happy.
I had the ability to work from home, which helped my personally life immensely. Management was very "hands off" so it allowed me to excel in my own way using my personality to my benefit. What I learned while working to be a self starter and self motivated as I worked from home with little direction. The Hardest part of the job was the lack of social interaction as I thrive in an office setting and feed of the energy of an office.
A very good and professional learning environment, the management supports you in your growth and empowers their associates as they go the extra mile to win their guests and make their guest experiences memorable. Relocation worldwide is a great benefit.
Loved working here at the TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo. Worked here as a front desk agent and worked my way up from Front Desk to Sales within a few years.
Very diverse company with lots of room for advancement. Also the benefits are very good. They also offer a good retirement plan. I was not to happy with the last benefit provider.
this is challenging to employees of the hotels directly as well as 3rd party agencies. Because the company owns such a large portion of hotel industry, they are able to set standards for salary and commissions.
Great culture, they take great of there employees like customers. Definitely recommend it , room for growth. Management is actually concerned about your opinion
Marriott has great benefits which compliment the salary (hospitality tends to be lower as an industry standard). If you like policies and processes, Marriott would be a good fit. They grew very quickly through the Starwood integration but seem to have worked through the challenges that came along with this. Positive culture for the most part but the benefits are great!
I worked in Marriott for almost 7 years and would love to work again and its all about working culture and environment. Gives you opportunity to do what you love and passionate about.
It's truly a great company and can open doors for you. It all falls down to what department/position you hold. If you're at a hotel, be prepared to work hard and around the clock. You are compensated for it but there is close to no work life balance. I switched to a corporate position and the work life balance is better, but pays significantly less. There are opportunities to advance but it's all political. If they don't like you, you will not advance.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Constant harassment and ridicule by department head in sales. Sales department head has a "Hazing-like" work environment for employees who coincidentally are minorities / LGBT. The hotel is run by a third party which means a lot of the conduct executed by management is not officially approved by Marriott International, Inc. During my employment I was victim and witnessed colleagues being belittled and bullied by the department head. I could not respect or work for such a small minded management group. Praying that the rest of the sales team makes it out OK.
Pros
Nice on the outside
Cons
Hourly with no paid holidays, Unrealistic sales goals for bonus, Apparent employee favoritism from upper management
Wonderful experience, great growth opportunities, excellent team of people to work with. However the company tries to guarantee loyalty by keeping employees in same positions for extended periods to gain experience with in the company as Marriott rarely recognizes experience gained outside of Marriott. Promotion from within is indeed possible, however only after 3-5 years of employment (proven loyalty).
Marriott's number objective is to ensure their employees are taken care of so the employees will take care of the guest. They understand it takes many to provide the customer service guest are accustomed too.
First job out of school, learned a lot about working for a big company, how day-to-day works at large company. Management was great, culture was great.
Talk about looking out for your staff, this place does not. There is always a reason you can’t have the next job, you can’t apply for this or you are not ready for that. They’re will give every excuse in the book to keep you where they want you. In a low paying, low level role where you are not challenged. If you are looking for a company that looks out for your best interest look elsewhere
Pros
Benefits, discounts on hotels
Cons
Pay, appreciation, poor management, poor career growth, poor training, always an excuse for something, poor communication, always changing hours when promised 9-5, giving away sales leads when you’re supposed to produce to make your goal.
* Left to pursue other interests to learn that I was Black Balled from returning to corporate! *Area Manager literally promoted all of her friends * Giant Clique * No diversity
Pros
Great company...in theory
Cons
No advancement for outsiders, just be quiet & smile
I enjoy working for Marriott. There’s great growth potential and learning opportunities. Their standards are kept high. Overall it’s a great company to work for.
Pros
Discounted rooms, free and reduced lunch. Great trainings!
Cons
Short breaks
Most folks have been here for along time, I think that says a lot. It is a wonderful hotel. The managers are all amazing and very professional. I wish my job was permanent and had more of a challenge as I was hired on to cover a maternity leave.
Pros
Free lunches, beautiful atmosphere